The RF mount mirrorless version of the EOS-1D X Mark III is coming in 2021 [CR3]

Fbimages

EOS R5 EOS R3 GFX 100
Mar 4, 2020
www.instagram.com
Well I will keep my 1DX3 until it arrives but will definitely be preordering it once available!
I’m on the same boat here! Unless the battery performance is not improved by then. I spend a lot of time in cold places and I love being able to not worry too much about battery life

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
My guess is minimum specs as R5 but in 1D body ( AF-On smart controller buttons, dual CFe slots) with:
- Dual Digic X to spread the heat generation and generate less heat per CPU
- Unlimited 8k cinema raw
- 6K/60. 4k/120 unlimited no crop internal recording.
- No line skipping/pixel binning 4k/6k modes
- no 29:59 recording limit

I can see why such a camera would have 4K/60 or 4K/120, I don't see the point of 8K or unlimited recording time.

E.g. for a short event, like pole vault, I can see the point of photographers using the same camera to shoot either stills or a [slow mo] video of the jump. If someone goes in to shoot a video of a 4 x 1500 meters relay (takes 15-20 minutes) or a soccer game, it seems a dedicated video camera would do a better job.

As for 8K, my impression is 4K hasn't become mainstream in broadcast & sold TVs, and the 1 series is about reliability. Staying with the 1D X mkIII's 5.5K seems reasonable. I wouldn't be the least surprised if the R5 got 8K just to test it before the sensor goes into a C series video camera.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..] wouldn't be the least surprised if the R5 got 8K just to test it before the sensor goes into a C series video camera.

Not only to test it on the camera side, but also to kickstart the ecosystem around it: editing software, codecs, GPU drivers, etc. Adobe/Blackmagic/Apple should have proper support for '8k' by the time Canon launches an '8k' cine cam.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
...a fantastic EOS R1 camera body with a whole new set of RF "L" lenses. When the RF "L" lenses are added to the equation, that pro-R camera system really becomes an investment.

I have predicted just this for some time. An engineering intern could work on the rear housing needed to create RF versions of both the 400 iii and 600 iii models. Presumably the 300 f2.8 ii is to be updated with the iii series lightening, and will also be released as an RF. (Canon's data will tell them whether to bother including an EF variant or demountable adapter). RF variants (without optical redesign) of the 200-400 and others might also be done, but lenses that are older than 10 years are more likely to await a real update.

This, perhaps in addition to the rumored 250/250/500 F2/2.8/4 that will do it all for me. (I note that this makes me weigh whether the 250 f2 would be a DO to differentiate.

The real question is whether any of Canon's new big whites will ever be made in EF or if the 400 and 600 were the last.

The "dog that didn't bark" is the lack of Canon releasing any RF versions of existing EF lenses. This tells me they plan plenty of new designs for RF, or a flurry of them for the R1 announcement.

The new lenses might well be announced alongside the R1, imaged surrounded by a forest of new RF big white lenses making the R1 the definitive champ.

Upvote 0

Eclipsed

Apr 30, 2020
Here lies DSLR
RIP
1988-2021

No quite. there is always a delay between the EVF and the lens. While optical view finder in the DSLR will have zero delay. Therefore for action shot and BFI, DSLR is still the first choice before the mirrorless. One exception, Leica M10 and similar. They still have a true optical view finder.

Just because you're still grieving doesn't mean the patient isn't dead.

Upvote 0

Eclipsed

Apr 30, 2020
Hm what exactly is wrong with using the adapter? So far ALL my EF lenses work perfectly on my R5, even at 20fps with AF =) Its a quite solid build. Also you get internal variable ND filter! (Or just leave the clear glass in the adapter, which adds another layer of protection to the sensor =))

It's an ugly inconvenience at best, and serves well for those who have EF glass. I've posted far and wide and found that no one in the universe has bought a new big white to go only on an RF camera. Canon has the data on this.

An adapter is an insult to a $15,000 lens/camera setup.

Adapters suck, unless there is no other choice.

But that's just my opinion.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
There is only one hand and this list has no hand. This describes a video centric camera. They might make it mirrorless but they will not make it something other than what the 1 line was intended. I laughed out loud when I read those specs.
What exactly is unrealistic in your opinion? The 1 Series showed some incredible strong video features (actualy the best canon offered in any DSLR). So why wouldnt we expect specs like this in a high end camera that likely wont arrive before winter 2021? The current 1DX II got 6k raw unlimited, why is it unrealistic to expect something a bit better on the next 1 Series camera?

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
It's an ugly inconvenience at best, and serves well for those who have EF glass. I've posted far and wide and found that no one in the universe has bought a new big white to go only on an RF camera. Canon has the data on this.

Thats true, noboy would by a new EF lense for an R body. But the adapter works perfectly fine with exiting EF lenses. I dont see the problem and I use 2 of them every day.
Usualy I also hate adapters, but this is pretty much like a native experience. And the added possibility to use an INTERNAL variable ND Filter is realy awesome! Also other filters are currently produced by third parties - especialy for wide angle lenses like the 11-24 its great to have the option to simply add a filter at the back =)

Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011

In what regard do they suck in your opinion?
I see absolutely no flaws whatsoever other than the extra $50 I had to pay for it.

Upvote 0

snapshot

5d2,5d4,r5
CR Pro
Jul 24, 2020
to me the biggest issue shooting action with the r5 in hs+ mode is tracking the motion while shooting. once the shooting starts the updates to the EVF really slow down. i really like 45mpx because face/eye af works when the head is a small portion of the frame. i will be interested to see what the R1 does to improve tracking and maintain AF on small targets.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com

There's very little wrong with the Canon adaptors. They fit well without any play, they are weather sealed. They are inexpensive. If you shoot primarily with EF glass you can switch the EF lenses as if your R body was a native EF mount. If you shoot primarily with RF glass but have one or two EF lenses then just stick an adaptor on each and you've pretty much turned them into RF mount lenses.

The only inconvenience (and I speak from great experience of having used my R with multiple RF and EF lenses) is when you have a single adaptor and you want to switch frequently between RF and multiple EF lenses, then you have to mess around.

But if you're buying big white EF lenses to use with an RF camera which is still the only way to get anything >500mm or any fast prime large lens, do yourself a favour and buy an RF-EF adaptor for EACH lens. The cost is insignificant compared to the cost of the lens, and you're going to find it much more convenient.

I have two RF-EF adaptors as I find I rarely need to use more than 2 EF lenses at a time when I go out to shoot.

For me using adaptors is far down my list of irritations about the RF mount family. I'm far more annoyed about the RF rear caps only attaching one way round than I ever am about having to use RF-EF adaptors.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
For Canon to include 8K video in the R1, it would require at least a 45MP sensor. That would mean Canon would be reversing course on catering to sports photographers' preference of smaller file size for faster transfer to the agencies they work for. Getting the image to press first is higher priority than being able to crop deeply or print bus-sized images (at least up until now, anyway). Who knows, though -- Canon might have a trick or two up its sleeve for the R1.

The R1 is way outta my league anyway, so I'm glad I'm not waiting for it. Then again, it might be released by the time my R5 finally arrives! :p
What if they take the 45mp and down sample to 22.5mp, like they are doing with 4K HQ, that would satisfy those wanting smaller files.

Upvote 0