The RF mount mirrorless version of the EOS-1D X Mark III is coming in 2021 [CR3]

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
The 1DX III doesn't use the LP-E6N Batteries that are found in the R5 and R6. So even if it doesn't slow down, you can't really compare it to the lower tier R5.
Both batteries are exactly the same voltage with slightly higher storage so the LP-E6NH batteries last slightly longer but the voltage doesn’t changes 7.2 volts for all versions of the LP-E6

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The 1DX III doesn't use the LP-E6N Batteries that are found in the R5 and R6. So even if it doesn't slow down, you can't really compare it to the lower tier R5.
Similarly, the Nikon D850 needs the D series batteries in a grip to fire at a higher frame rate as their equivalent of the LP-E6 isn't up to it whereas it will power the APS-C version.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I shoot a lot of sports, and there's no substitute for the great full-frame optical viewfinder. But one of my gripes with the 1D X Mark III (and all predecessors) is the small AF area coverage for viewfinder shooting. So the subject has to enter a good ways into the frame before AF can latch on.
Switch to Live View shooting, and you get 100% coverage Vertical/90% Horizontal.

Viewfinder AF Area:
Viewfinder-AF-area.png
Live View AF Area:
LiveView-AF-area.png

For shots where you want the player's full height head to toe to fill the frame, their head (the desired AF point) can be outside of the Viewfinder AF area, so you get focus lock on the torso/shoulder instead.

Consequently, I occasionally switch to live view to get the player's heads entering the left or right edge of view; camera locks on.
But I really dislike looking at the rear LCD to cover action (my eyes can't focus that close anymore anyway :) ).

So from this perspective alone, I think an EOS-1D R, if it has a great fast viewfinder, would be a good compromise as I would expect it to retain 90%+ AF Area coverage.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

An ideal R1 for me:
  • 24 MP
  • Dual CF Express
  • 20 FPS mechanical and Electrical(perhaps rolling shutter free)
  • 1 series battery
  • Pre-gripped
  • No focus on video, there is a C70 in the same price range now with much better video bits and bobs on it
  • Faster AF than R5 (Dual Digic X perhaps)
  • TB3/USB-C. TB3 might be impossible due to the size of the controller
  • 2.5 or 10 Gb Ethernet for tethering when I am doing product shots right into Capture One
  • No AA filter or close like the 1DXIII
  • A RF 500mm f/4.0 - f/5.6 prime to shove on it on day one, preferably of the DO variety.
  • 14 bit RAW even at 20FPS mechanical
  • Under £7000

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Both batteries are exactly the same voltage with slightly higher storage so the LP-E6N batteries last slightly longer but the voltage doesn’t change
I don't know what you want to hear. You seem to Imply Canon is holding something back. I pointed out how batteries work and that the 1DX III uses a different battery, the 7D series a less demanding shutter. If you don't like these explanations, so be it. They are likely not the complete answer but are definitely factors that play a role in the FPS. Don't you think so?

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Just on the battery thing. Unless I am mistaken the higher voltage 1d series batteries let the big primes focus faster still?
The 1D series have a 10.8 volt battery vs 7.2 volt for the R5 , etc so I doubt the lens motors run off the full battery voltage and are stepped down to perhaps 5 volts as supplying different voltages to a motor could cause major issues so I suspect Canon uses the same voltage output from bodies to lenses regardless of the battery voltage

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
It was a advertised thing in older 1d bodies for sure, I just don't know if it still does anything.
I think with the older 1D bodies you got a higher fps with the battery grips but doesn’t necessarily mean the lenses voltage varied
The eos lenses are all completely compatible with every eos body from 1987’s eos 620/650 slr to the latest rebels and 1DXs so I think Canon would have used a standard input voltage supply for every lens and every body output voltage as otherwise could cause reliability issues

• Haha
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I think with the older 1D bodies you got a higher fps with the battery grips but doesn’t necessarily mean the lenses voltage varied
The eos lenses are all completely compatible with every eos body from 1987’s eos 620/650 slr to the latest rebels and 1DXs so I think Canon would have used a standard input voltage supply for every lens and every body output voltage as otherwise could cause reliability issues

From Chuck Westfall… “In addition, the EOS-1D X achieves a higher lens motor drive speed with select L-series USM telephoto lenses than the 5D Mark III because of the 1D X’s more powerful battery pack.”

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I can see why such a camera would have 4K/60 or 4K/120, I don't see the point of 8K or unlimited recording time.

E.g. for a short event, like pole vault, I can see the point of photographers using the same camera to shoot either stills or a [slow mo] video of the jump. If someone goes in to shoot a video of a 4 x 1500 meters relay (takes 15-20 minutes) or a soccer game, it seems a dedicated video camera would do a better job.

As for 8K, my impression is 4K hasn't become mainstream in broadcast & sold TVs, and the 1 series is about reliability. Staying with the 1D X mkIII's 5.5K seems reasonable. I wouldn't be the least surprised if the R5 got 8K just to test it before the sensor goes into a C series video camera.
I concur for the 8K... but it is technically feasible and the R5 has set the bar excepting thermal limitations. All depends on the sensor's capabilities (mp/read speed) as the R5 /Digic X can already process and record it.

Upvote 0
I couldn't find a post that pointed this out already. But:

The 1R won't get a downgrade in mechanical shutter performance. The 1DX III already manages 20 FPS mechanical, not just electronic.

Canon somehow managed to get a huge jump in performance for their most recent shutters (the 1DX III is fast, and both the R5 and R6 are way faster and way more durable than the 5D IV). Once the cost for the entire mirror assembly, extra AF and metering sensors and OVF are gone, that may free up resources to push the mechanical FPS past 20. Is that even a requirement? I don't know. Electronic should definitely exceed 20, if just to catch up with the M6 II (18 MP 30 FPS electronic crop mode). Yes, the 1 series isn't always the best jn everything. But the first 1 series should demonstrate what the technology allows for in comparison to DSLR in my opinion.
Apologies, you are correct. I was thinking of the 1DXii. 1DXiii has 20fps mechanical via liveview (16fps via OVF). It looks like anti-flicker is not possible with liveview shooting. That would need to be fixed for a R1. I have edited my previous post
Reading the manual, it talks about overheating when using liveview and how the camera will automatically switch off liveview to enable cooling down. No times are mentioned for liveview shooting limits or cool down times.

For electronic shooting speed, 30fps (8k30 33 mp frame grab jpegs) has been seen to be useful. It isn't clear if the Digic X bus etc could support 45mp/30fps though but certain CFe cards can handle the write speeds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
So what do you buy today, if you don't currently have a big white and want one to go with your R5?
Just checked B&H and when you search for:

RF300 - you get Sony Optical Fiber broadcast camera (no longer available)
or
RF400 - Sony Wireless Over Ear headphones
and
RF500 - QOMO Radio Frequency Receiver.

Not sure I can shoot night-time soccer with Rf600 or RF800 and f11.....

Please advise as my check book is open and pen is quivering.....
In the preposterously unlikely event you are a pro with a pressing need and don’t have a DSLR, yet must shoot mirrorless, you buy or rent a USED lens that requires an adapter and wait for something that actually works with your mirrorless camera.

The crickets confirm it. No one buys a new big white solely to mount with an adapter.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Prior to DSLR ,Canon’s pro SLR was the EOS-1 , then EOS-1N , and lastly EOS-1V
Prior to EOS cameras , there was the Canon F1 but this wasn’t really a pro camera as the EOS-1 was their first ever pro camera which they launched to take on Nikon and eventually they dominated the pro market especially for pro sports photographers
Bollocks the F1 and F1n's were pro cameras but you're quite correct about the eos 1s i was really commenting with reference to the idea that R1 didn't fit historically

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Bollocks the F1 and F1n's were pro cameras but you're quite correct about the eos 1s i was really commenting with reference to the idea that R1 didn't fit historically
My F-1 and F-1N were both pro cameras ;)

Way more than the A-1 or T-90. I didn't like the EOS 1 nor the 1N, but I did like my 1VHS's and still have one.

5.jpg

• Love
Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
I think the most curious thing about this rumour is the suggestion that it will not have the 1DXIII's sensor. I mean, the 1DXIII's sensor will be less than 2 years old at the launch of this hypothetical camera, can already support very high resolution video output, has limited rolling shutter (I think), and compares well to any other sensor on the market.

Using a new sensor this soon seems uncharacteristic of Canon's past decisions, so I'm wondering if this sensor is going to really drive into some new technology opportunity - maybe improved low light AF sensitivity, or a global shutter. Off chance of resolution increase (?), but I doubt it.

I just can't help but wonder about what technological advance justified not using a very capable sensor already available, when they have done that in the past. Or who knows, maybe they'll throw the formula out the window and put in the R5 sensor - it certainly seems to be able to keep up with speed despite the resolution bump.

Maybe we’ll finally see a stacked (in the Foveon sense of the word) sensor. So 60mp, but really 20mp x 3 colors.

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
Prior to DSLR ,Canon’s pro SLR was the EOS-1 , then EOS-1N , and lastly EOS-1V
Prior to EOS cameras , there was the Canon F1 but this wasn’t really a pro camera as the EOS-1 was their first ever pro camera which they launched to take on Nikon and eventually they dominated the pro market especially for pro sports photographers

You are showing your lack of age. The Canon F-1 was the pro camera that faced off against the Nikon F, and really put Canon on the map for sports photography.

And pre-date the EOS by many years.

Film, of course.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
My F-1 and F-1N were both pro cameras ;)

Way more than the A-1 or T-90. I didn't like the EOS 1 nor the 1N, but I did like my 1VHS's and still have one.

View attachment 192996

Ooooh i am so jealous of that clean AE Finder FN I've just got the standard as i didn't need auto apature at the time, was doing a lot of manual flash.
In a fit of nostalgia a few years ago dug it out and put some film in, that set me on the road to wanting that finder but it seems almost impossible to find one in good nick that isn't a silly price for just a whim.
The A-1 was an incredible camera for it's day trounced the basic F1n spec sheet wise but i agree it wasn't a pro camera, not robust enough well certainly not for the kind of environments i was working in at the time. With all this lust for new tech nowadays it's funny thinking back to Canons ten year promise.... oh dear I'm starting to get nostalgia pangs again which is never good and am getting rather OT!
anyway thanks for posting and the pic of those two beauties (y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0