There are currently 3 EOS R system cameras coming in the second half of 2022 [CR2]

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I think customers would like to know whether they'll get the sensor's full resolution, or the camera will auto crop the image for them.

It's one thing to inform the customer they'll either get a crop (or a tunnel-vision image if the camera fails to detect that it's a crop lens--this is what happens with my Tamron lenses on my R5; I must manually put it into crop mode or accept the special effect), it's another to physically block them from using the lens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
RP's were as low as $800 at Christmas, don't expect an R platform to be any less than that.
I used my friend's RP for a few days and, although it was much better IQ, the frame rate was practically (and on paper) worse than 77D. That was important for my kind of use. So, didn't go for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
...it's another to physically block them from using the lens.
That was Canon's approach with EF-S on DSLRs. I haven't heard people complaining about automatic crop mode with EF-S adapted to R-series bodies, but I suspect that many people using higher-end bodies pay more attention to such things (especially on a gear-oriented forum like this). However, it may become more of an issue if Canon comes out with the rumored <$800 FF MILC, especially if they have an APS-C R body and small image circle RF lenses.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
That was Canon's approach with EF-S on DSLRs.
Yes, and that was what I was arguing against in my original comment (to which my comment was a reply to a reply). I do NOT want Canon inventing a slightly different but physically incompatible mount for APSC RF. (That was pages ago, of course, and the context has been lost.) They shouldn't have to as long as full frame cameras can automatically crop a lens that is specifically made for APS-C. But they should make clear on the lens packaging that Full Frame cameras will (effectively) become APS-C with the lens.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
But they should make clear on the lens packaging that Full Frame cameras will (effectively) become APS-C with the lens.
I think they should make it clear on the lens itself, at least with a designation like Nikon's DF. RF-S could be problematic (for Canon) because people familiar with the fact that EF-S lenses won't mount on EF bodies may not buy a lens designated RF-S.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Am I the only one that would just like an R5 that's 30mp, 4k oversampled, no 8k, No overheating and about $2500. - $3500?
Obviously it woundnt be called an R5 but you get the idea
Nope.

Had this R5.5 been available when the R5 and R6 came out, I'd have bought it. However, it didn't look like Canon was ever planning to offer it (or they'd not have numbered the R5 and R6 consecutively), so I went with the R5, preferring overkill to underkill.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I think they should make it clear on the lens itself, at least with a designation like Nikon's DF. RF-S could be problematic (for Canon) because people familiar with the fact that EF-S lenses won't mount on EF bodies may not buy a lens designated RF-S.
Excellent point--it should be both on the lens AND the packaging (the latter so there's no issue of people getting a surprise when they open the box). Maybe "CROP LENS"?

Upvote 0
Yes, but the mirror is there to reflect the image to the viewfinder. Without an OVF, there is no reason to have a mirror.
Think hybrid rangefinder. The mirror is used to reflect/split the light between metering and AF sensors. Since none of the light goes on to an OVF, the AF and metering sensors get more light than with a traditional SLR.

Partitioning of the metering and autofocus to a dedicated chip allows lower power consumption since the main photo sensor doesn't have to drive live view continuously.

If such a camera doesn't exist, then I guess I made a niche camera idea (though probably not for Canon).

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
With a top LCD Screen, instead of the rebel styled controls. Why make a camera so expensive and high end as the R6 and then to stick it in a Rebel's body?
Makes no sense.
I have an R5 (with top LCD screen) and I've also used a friend's R6 (with traditional rotating mode dial). I actually prefer the R6 method.

I hope that the new model which fits between the R5 and R6 (R5.5 :LOL: ) has a R6-style dial. I think such a camera could be a huge seller for Canon, if it has around 30-33MP. The original R which it replaces, lacked IBIS, had slow burst speeds, and had a swipe bar that most people disliked. A "R Mkii" or whatever it is called will fill a big gap in Canon's lineup. If it has 33MP it will be able to shoot 4K, so would potentially be a great hybrid camera, and that's what I think Canon will aim at.

Upvote 0
An EVF on my Olympus TG5 that I use for underwater shots when snorkelling would not be better than using the LCD, in fact quite the opposite.
I am still working out the best approach (LCD/EVF) when shooting underwater with my Ikelite rig. My preference is for the EVF for composing but the downside is that I am not quite under/level with the subject. Reviewing shots via EVF for critical focus is hard whilst managing surge etc. I am using the rear LCD for shooting information Q menu etc.
For my wide angle turtle shots, I tend to shoot with my arm extended and shooting blind one handed - taking a burst with changing angle slightly.

A 45 degree magnified viewfinder may be the solution but at USD950 it is beyond my current budget!

Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
At least on the R3, that’s customizable. You get up to three different OVF displays (you can cycle through them during use with the Info button), two of which you can edit to show detailed info along the sides, a histogram, an electronic level, or none of those. Deselecting all of them gives you the ‘uncluttered’ display of an OVF, showing only the exposure info under the image, and the active focus point(s) when focusing.

View attachment 202320
Uncluttered sounds good. I seem to get fatigued by the distracting elements. Overwhelming like a first time tourist walking through 1980s Time Square.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
The worst thing about Canon EVFs is that sometimes there is no option to show the real image that is coming from the lens. Some lenses like the 16mm and the 14-35mm have quite an extreme distortion, but there is no option to show that distortion in the EVF, even if you prefer that distortion not to be corrected in some situations.

It seems Canon does not care about lens distortion anymore, because now it can hide those distortions even in the viewfinder. That is bad news for the customer. In the past Canon tried everything to correct distortions optically, because they were visible in the viewfinder.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It seems Canon does not care about lens distortion anymore, because now it can hide those distortions even in the viewfinder. That is bad news for the customer. In the past Canon tried everything to correct distortions optically, because they were visible in the viewfinder.
I’m not sure that part is true. An optically corrected 16/2.8 would certainly be much more expensive than $300, and that would be bad news for many customers.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nope.

Had this R5.5 been available when the R5 and R6 came out, I'd have bought it. However, it didn't look like Canon was ever planning to offer it (or they'd have not numbered the R5 and R6 consecutively), so I went with the R5, preferring overkill to underkill.
Ill take my IBIS on my R5 over The video modes on R5c as we uuse these for stills also. Not even half of TV owners are even using 4k displays, much less 8k. Most of hollywood isn't filming in 8k, with the exception of a handful of movies, for a reason. 8k is still a gimmick. Those of you that want to chime in and say "oh but the cropping we can do", compose better. If you can't crop in enough to fix your mistake from the 4k recording pick a different line of work. In the way we use our R5s we have never run into OH issues. Crop mode never overheats, is a 6k down sample , is sharper than 4k HQ and does not overheat the camera. Take 10 steps back and you have the same frame. R5 video crop mode is the same crop mode as the Canon C70.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Ill take my IBIS on my R5 over The video modes on R5c as we uuse these for stills also. Not even half of TV owners are even using 4k displays, much less 8k. Most of hollywood isn't filming in 8k, with the exception of a handful of movies, for a reason. 8k is still a gimmick. Those of you that want to chime in and say "oh but the cropping we can do", compose better. If you can't crop in enough to fix your mistake from the 4k recording pick a different line of work. In the way we use our R5s we have never run into OH issues. Crop mode never overheats, is a 6k down sample , is sharper than 4k HQ and does not overheat the camera. Take 10 steps back and you have the same frame. R5 video crop mode is the same crop mode as the Canon C70.
The R5 crop mode is great for filming things like perched dragonflies, you get 60fps and a very good detail due to the downscaling. And the crop means you can stay further away to avoid scaring them.

This is with the RF100L at 1.4x magnification + 1.6x crop:

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Nikon will sell more Z9's and glass than anyone could imagine based on the R1 being vaporware.
You think.

If you're right, it will represent a sharp reversal of Nikon's ILC sales, which have taken a real beating over the past few years. Nikon execs are probably holding their breath hoping that happens, but I wouldn't recommend that.

Upvote 0