There are currently 3 EOS R system cameras coming in the second half of 2022 [CR2]

Well, I hope that Canon can do a R platform for less than USD800... wouldn't that be an amazing bridge between phones and "real" cameras!
Well don't get your hopes up. I fully expect the entry level RF to be APSC and to also be the unit with no EVF. An RF upgrade to the M6 MKII which is $849. M6MKII was geared towards Vloggers/Streamers and YouTubers. This will EASILY be $800+ If you think $800 is too much you don't want to be in the RF system, you will never be able to afford glass. (I don't mean you as in YOU personally, using it as a general term)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Well don't get your hopes up. I fully expect the entry level RF to be APSC and to also be the unit with no EVF. An RF upgrade to the M6 MKII which is $849. M6MKII was geared towards Vloggers/Streamers and YouTubers. This will EASILY be $800+ If you think $800 is too much you don't want to be in the RF system, you will never be able to afford glass. (I don't mean you as in YOU personally, using it as a general term)
I was replying to a comment that said that the RP was on sale before Christmas for USD800 which - as you point out - is less than the retail M6ii.

Not about my hopes but more about market segmentation. No one thought that a USD1000 ff body was possible until the RP.
Canon may sell the entry level body at cost to drive future lens sales and an upgrade path to more expensive bodies.
That really isn't possible with the M ecosystem which is ideal for cost/size but a closed/limited system for high margin upgrades.

Canon stated in their financial results that "highly profitable EOS R systems over the years. As a result, the sustained profitability of the camera business has increased significantly". Moving more users into the R mount system makes logical sense by broadening their range of bodies.

I am not convinced that the base model will be APS-c. Yes, a APS-c sensor will be slightly cheaper than a FF in general but a new sensor probably wouldn't be cheaper than the current 6Dii/RP sensor. The use of adapted EF-s lenses for wide angle would be okay for enthusiast togs who are primarily telephoto users would be acceptable to the market but explaining that to the users of a base model R mount would be harder for them to understand especially as a bridge to more expensive cameras. Let's keep in mind that multi-camera phones are now common and people are used to flipping to wide angle with ease.

Upvote 0
I really wish Canon could continue the EOS M series or camera and coming out a weather sealed M6 mark iii in future.
The mirrorless camera was invented to have smaller body and smaller lens, RF mount lens isn’t that small, even there will be a APSC body that slightly smaller than RP, it is still larger than M6.
Just my wish.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I really wish Canon could continue the EOS M series or camera and coming out a weather sealed M6 mark iii in future.
The mirrorless camera was invented to have smaller body and smaller lens, RF mount lens isn’t that small, even there will be a APSC body that slightly smaller than RP, it is still larger than M6.
Just my wish.
Same here. Any of the M bodies plus a couple compact primes/zooms make for a fantastic lightweight kit. It's my casual kit when I know I'm going to want something better than the iPhone, but photography isn't the main goal. Canon should position the M line as the replacement for P&S cameras for those people who don't find phones to be a sufficient replacement.

And a weather sealed M body plus a weather sealed 11-22 IS would be a perfect long hike/thru-hike companion.

Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
The Sigma fp L external EVF is attached on the side of the camera - rangefinder style. Reviews say that it isn't the best. If I recall correctly, it couldn't be attached on the top.
Thanks for the info. It looks, well, ok. While I like the focus tracking capabilities of the R3/5, I‘m not sure I want as much info displayed in the EVF as it appears there is. I like the relative visual solitude of an OVF. At this point I can’t see myself composing anything but static subjects on a rear LCD.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
There is no doubt that keeping both the EVF and rear LCD will be the best solution but we are discussing how Canon can release models that are lower cost as bridge to higher end products.
Yes and I was referring to the future RP replacement. As I own one of those I can identify room for Canon to produce a cheaper, simpler FF camera below the RP that becomes the ‘budget’ FF model whilst retaining any future ‘RP II’ broadly as it is now - a very competent, complete and small FF camera.

Upvote 0
That sounds like a likely specification for the rumoured upcoming replacement for the R, and I think it will be cheaper than you suggest.

I think it will be based on the R6 body though, not the R5, but that's no bad thing.
My guess is 33MP, IBIS, and possibly a different menu and EF interface for stills and video.
With a top LCD Screen, instead of the rebel styled controls. Why make a camera so expensive and high end as the R6 and then to stick it in a Rebel's body?
Makes no sense.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
With a top LCD Screen, instead of the rebel styled controls. Why make a camera so expensive and high end as the R6 and then to stick it in a Rebel's body?
Makes no sense.
Having handled these cameras I think that the build is superior to the Rebels TBH. Regarding the top plate layout, do we really need a LCD now we have both rear screen and EVF ? Canon are probably testing the market on this design. However I think there will be many people who agree with you given the price.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Thanks for the info. It looks, well, ok. While I like the focus tracking capabilities of the R3/5, I‘m not sure I want as much info displayed in the EVF as it appears there is. I like the relative visual solitude of an OVF. At this point I can’t see myself composing anything but static subjects on a rear LCD.
At least on the R3, that’s customizable. You get up to three different OVF displays (you can cycle through them during use with the Info button), two of which you can edit to show detailed info along the sides, a histogram, an electronic level, or none of those. Deselecting all of them gives you the ‘uncluttered’ display of an OVF, showing only the exposure info under the image, and the active focus point(s) when focusing.

B0CFB409-BEE1-47BB-A721-147879810CDA.jpeg

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
If it didn’t have a viewfinder it wouldn’t be a (D)SLR would it?
You mean OPTICAL viewfinder. Most mirrorless cameras also have a viewfinder and they should really have one, because it is a very basic thing.

I have to mention again, that even my cheap compact camera "Canon PowerShot S1 IS" had an EVF, although that one had quite a low resolution.
A low resolution EVF still is better for composing a photo than having no viewfinder at all. Even a low resolution EVF can show framing, colours and exposure.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
You mean OPTICAL viewfinder. Most mirrorless cameras also have a viewfinder and they should really have one, because it is a very basic thing.
Basic, nice to have, but not a requirement.

I have to mention again, I have no trouble using the rear LCD on my M6. It’s small size is one of the main reasons I bought it (and the M and M2 before it). Given the launch price of the M6 II ($US850 body only, $1100 with kit lens), it’s not a cheap / entry-level camera.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

I have to mention again, that even my cheap compact camera "Canon PowerShot S1 IS" had an EVF, although that one had quite a low resolution.
A low resolution EVF still is better for composing a photo than having no viewfinder at all. Even a low resolution EVF can show framing, colours and exposure.
An EVF on my Olympus TG5 that I use for underwater shots when snorkelling would not be better than using the LCD, in fact quite the opposite.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

No. I said it wouldn’t be a Digital Single Lens Reflex if it didn’t have a viewfinder. By definition all DSLRs and SLRs must have a viewfinder. Other cameras can also have a viewfinder without being an SLR. But it can’t be a DSLR or an SLR without a viewfinder. That’s what Single Lens Reflex means.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
No. I said it wouldn’t be a Digital Single Lens Reflex if it didn’t have a viewfinder. By definition all DSLRs and SLRs must have a viewfinder. Other cameras can also have a viewfinder without being an SLR. But it can’t be a DSLR or an SLR without a viewfinder. That’s what Single Lens Reflex means.
The 'reflex' bit refers to the 45 degree mirror, not the OVF.

Upvote 0