There are reports of the RF 85mm f/2 IS STM landing next week

maves

24mm TS-e ii is life!
Sep 21, 2017
Tasmania
I'll have to chime in as another disappointed 35/1.8 user. It hunts way too much and I really wish it has a focus limiting switch (although it looks like the 85/2 has this). IQ is fine, but a little flat for my liking. Listening to it hunt loudly, whilst reviewing images should you happen to have the lens cap on is annoying too.

I will consider this lens, although it looks a bit chunkier than it probably needs to be (as does the RF 35).

I feel like there is a massive gap in the full frame market for compact primes with L series build quality. Everybody (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic and Leica) is essentially making the same specc'd cameras and the same lenses massive lenses with nobody filling the full frame primes for the travel, hiking and landscape where weigh AND weather sealing is appealing.

The IQ on the RF L primes is great, but they're no good if you never take the camera outside. Despite having some chunky L glass, currently my most used lenses are my Leica 50mm Summicron-R and Kipon RF 75mm 2.4. Manual focusing on the R has been a revelation. I get the EF 24-70 2.8L ii and 24mm TS-e ii out too when I can be bothered to carry them.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
On my EOS R, my EF 85mm is too soft at f/1.8 so I usually shoot portraits at f/2. I am hoping that this RF lens has superior IQ at f/2 and more accurate focusing when using eye-AF. That, combined with IS would make it a worthwhile upgrade.

If that does not turn out to be the case, I'm likely to get a used EF 85 f/1.4L. Both of the RF 85 f/1.2Ls are dreamy, but I just can't justify the cost.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I'll have to chime in as another disappointed 35/1.8 user. It hunts way too much and I really wish it has a focus limiting switch (although it looks like the 85/2 has this). IQ is fine, but a little flat for my liking. Listening to it hunt loudly, whilst reviewing images should you happen to have the lens cap on is annoying too.[..]

It sounds like you have "Continuous AF" enabled.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
Curious to see how it performs!

Currently I have a Samyang 85mm RF 1.4 here as a review copy and that's doing quite allright, although IBIS isn't properly supported yet until the next FW update. It is plenty sharp at 1.4 however for about a similar price of this lens. The sample images we've seen so far do look quite sharp.

Upvote 0
I read two disappointed experiences about the RF 35mm - to me it is not the greatest lens on earth in any single spec but ... the combination of features and the high quality of ALL features make it (again for ME) one of the greatest lens as a whole.

Extending tubus: Yes, I do not like it too but this is a must to keep it compact, light and moderately priced WITH MACRO
Hunting AF: IMO caused by the MACRO feature and I am with "maves" that they should have included a focus limiter switch

but: If the AF is quite fast under normal circumstances and in low light. In a nearly dark environment the AF hunted in video mode a little bit where the head lights of a car 100m away was 10times the natural light the AF worked and IS + f/1.8 + ISO 12800 allowed me to make a video of myself with reasonable IQ (with the RP).

I expect very similar "behavior" of the RF 85 and maybe I will buy one very soon because I like the light tele focal length much more and the 1:2 MACRO functionality makes it a "two lenses in one" package!

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2015
I'll have to chime in as another disappointed 35/1.8 user. It hunts way too much and I really wish it has a focus limiting switch (although it looks like the 85/2 has this). IQ is fine, but a little flat for my liking. Listening to it hunt loudly, whilst reviewing images should you happen to have the lens cap on is annoying too.

I will consider this lens, although it looks a bit chunkier than it probably needs to be (as does the RF 35).

I feel like there is a massive gap in the full frame market for compact primes with L series build quality. Everybody (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic and Leica) is essentially making the same specc'd cameras and the same lenses massive lenses with nobody filling the full frame primes for the travel, hiking and landscape where weigh AND weather sealing is appealing.

The IQ on the RF L primes is great, but they're no good if you never take the camera outside. Despite having some chunky L glass, currently my most used lenses are my Leica 50mm Summicron-R and Kipon RF 75mm 2.4. Manual focusing on the R has been a revelation. I get the EF 24-70 2.8L ii and 24mm TS-e ii out too when I can be bothered to carry them.

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2015
Look at the Nikon lens line. They have the 14-30 f4 and 24-70 f4 which fits right in the middle between lower and higher ranges of quality/price. Stunning quality lenses. The 70-200 f2.8 is supposedly available, but people are waiting forever for them. So who knows when an f4 will be released.

Personally, the Nikon Z7 is much more affordable than Canon R5. The R5 is a fantastic camera, but they put a lot of horsepower into it for video work and you are paying a helluva lot for that. That is fine for those into video, but for most landscaper-non-video people the difference in price could probably pay for that 14-30. When people say there is no cost increase, it is just a matter of software, well, that is as much bullshit as much so as saying you can zoom with your feet.

Upvote 0
Chiming in here on the RF 35 and L series smaller aperture primes. Where the hell are they? The STM motors hunt like crazy, are noisy compared to premium L glass and while light, aren't as nice as L glass.

So we've an RF system where we have a choice of super heavy, bulky L series glass or STM primes that are noisy and poor in nailing focus. STM is fine if you are an amatuer or shooting non moving products professionally. But for people who want a lighter setup with L quality glass with the money to pay for it? Nah.

I sold my RF35 in favour of an adapted EF 35mm F2 IS which was quieter and focused better. I have bought the RF35 again to see if it performs better on the R6 but so far I can't really tell as weddings are off due to Covid, meaning, I can't test it that well yet.

Back on track though, the RF85 interests me as it'll potentially replace my 85 1.4 and 100mm macro. So long as it focuses quickly. Otherwise what's the point. I really, truly hope if Canon doesn't offer smaller apertures L glass that a third party at least releases some smaller aperture lenses with a better AF system in it.

Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
I have pre-ordered the 85, god I hope it is as good or better than the EF 1.8 which is a great lens with the 5d, not so great on the R5.

With a 67mm filter, it fits in a jacket pocket, it should be a perfect lens.

I applied to the federal government for a permit to have a Himalaian Sherpa migrate to carry a 85mm 1.2 for me, but it was denied due to covid, so the 1.8 it must be! :LOL:

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2015
Chiming in here on the RF 35 and L series smaller aperture primes. Where the hell are they? The STM motors hunt like crazy, are noisy compared to premium L glass and while light, aren't as nice as L glass.

So we've an RF system where we have a choice of super heavy, bulky L series glass or STM primes that are noisy and poor in nailing focus. STM is fine if you are an amatuer or shooting non moving products professionally. But for people who want a lighter setup with L quality glass with the money to pay for it? Nah.

I sold my RF35 in favour of an adapted EF 35mm F2 IS which was quieter and focused better. I have bought the RF35 again to see if it performs better on the R6 but so far I can't really tell as weddings are off due to Covid, meaning, I can't test it that well yet.

Back on track though, the RF85 interests me as it'll potentially replace my 85 1.4 and 100mm macro. So long as it focuses quickly. Otherwise what's the point. I really, truly hope if Canon doesn't offer smaller apertures L glass that a third party at least releases some smaller aperture lenses with a better AF system in it.
Hence my above comments on the Nikon f4 lenses. Not much of a middle ground in the Cabnon mirrorless lenses. Hopefully, they will in time.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
This is an interesting discussion. I'd like a small, sharp, reasonably fast moderate wide for my R, that makes a small take anywhere package. The EF 35/2 IS was great on a dslr (apart from awful coma). However, adapted knto the R, it is moderately bulky. So I had considered the RF 35/1.8, but not after reading this discussion.
The RF 85/2 could replace my 100mm macro and 85/1.8 if sharp wide open for portraits and stopped down for macro.

Upvote 0
Ordered this on July 20th from Best Buy. Hoping for a shipping notice anyday now. I had the 35mm RF and it just didn’t do it for me. Fingers crossed that this one is hits the Mark. I have to admit though, I shoot all L glass on my R5 so I might be a bit spoiled. BTW..I am happy to take all that “chunky/heavy” L glass that you don’t want to carry around. Seriously, carrying something like the 24-70 2.8L around is really not a big deal at all. Even the 70-200 2.8L is doable. (After shooting with Sony’s 70-200GM glass for 2 years)

Upvote 0