There is a Cinema EOS R camera in the pipeline, likely for early 2022 [CR2]

Jan 22, 2012
Majority of video makers like Arri, Red, BlackMagic, Panavision, Sony and Canon, has S35(1.3x-1.7x) sensors in their portfolio, MORE SO than FF sensors, that’s just hard cold FACTS(not ignorance). Just look at Canon Cinema line up; C200B(S35), C300II&III(S35), C90-70-50(S35), C500(FF) and C700(FF). Why...because human eyes are more in line to render bokeh closer to S35 than FF sensor.

The latest ARRI product on S35 sensor, not FF.
https://nofilmschool.com/everything-about-new-arri-alexa-super-35-4k-camera

PROOF S35 sensor(1.3x-1.7x) is the standard size in Cinema world, not FF.
https://cinequipt.com/resources/resources-sidebar/cq-sensor-size-comparison-chart-march-2018/

YOU MUST BE A QANON MEMBER, MORE ON CONSPIRACY, LESS ON FACTS!

You have not replied to the question why full sensor is not better. Just spewed specs what is being used. And then, insult the OP.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Background blur is actually an issue, in video, audience only have split second to process what's going on, making your actor float on cloud of bokeh is not a good thing.

Aesthetically it looks good, but practically, nope, remember, you need to make the actor to interact with his/her surroundings

You can close the aperture to combat background blur, but you end up sacrificing light and use higher iso, why do that when you can use smaller format without light sacrifice in the first place.

This is One reason why S16 is still popular format.

Also, using bigger format on smaller sensor is the best combination, physics made corner of the lens not as sharp as center and suffer from vignette, less thing to fix during post processing
NOPE. WRONG. 1. Background blur can be and often used to isolate a subject for storytelling, and if need be the aperture can be adjusted to increase depth of field. S16 is STILL a popular format? Hahahaha. Which era do you live in? S16 died years ago and it was popular only with low budget work.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
The biggest differences are in background blur, which is very apparent when direct comparisons are made, and noise. A ff sensor will always give you one stop higher iso performance whatever your personal upper limit of noise is.

Artistically both can be used to great advantage, just look at the lengths people like Kubrick went to to get better low light performance or subject separation.
Dear Private. Actually, Kubrick went to great lengths to have great depth of field. You might want to watch the 'making of' of Citizen Cane.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Dear Private. Actually, Kubrick went to great lengths to have great depth of field. You might want to watch the 'making of' of Citizen Cane.
Actually Sanj he went to great lengths to push boundaries in every direction, look up Barry Lyndon and the f0.7 Zeiss lenses made for NASA he had adapted.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Actually Sanj he went to great lengths to push boundaries in every direction, look up Barry Lyndon and the f0.7 Zeiss lenses made for NASA he had adapted.

Great Private. So he went to both extremes in different films. He would have just loved the separation we can get today will full frame. Also, like Citizen Kane he would be delighted with the extreme depth because of 800 native ISO in Alexa, Red.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Great Private. So he went to both extremes in different films. He would have just loved the separation we can get today will full frame. Also, like Citizen Kane he would be delighted with the extreme depth because of 800 native ISO in Alexa, Red.
The man had a vision and went to extraordinary lengths to render that vision for us to see.

Don’t forget 2001: A Space Odyssey was filmed on 70mm film stock in 1968! So yes, he used ‘full frame’ and much bigger long before online forums were a thing.

Some of the comments by some newer members in this thread are just rediculous.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
Get a grip and learn about equivalence, you can ALWAYS mimic a smaller sensor with a bigger one, you cannot always mimic a bigger sensor with a smaller one.

And when you do the former you will always be at least one stop of iso performance better.

If you want choice bigger is always better, if you want IQ bigger is always better.
That has got to be one of the studeist things I have ever read on here. You obviously didn't stop to think about what I wrote. If I am shooting produt work then I am lighting so I don't give a damn about "one more stop of iso performance. I always shoot at my base ISO because I control the light. But you think I should pay 3 times as much for a FF camrera and then shoot it in crop mode? And no a FF sensor doesn't always give you better IQ. 6D II? People get that foolish idea from the fact that camera manufacturers have usually put their best tech into their FF sensors because they charge more for them. There is more to a camera than just a sensor. There is more to a sensor than the size of it's pixels. But I guess if the only creative idea I could ever come up with was to shoot wide open then I would think like you.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
That might well be true, but it is also true that times and technology change, iMax has been a bigger ‘standard’ for decades too but the cost of 70mm film held it back. Now bigger than s35 sensors are cheap and readily available so the underlying benefits of larger sensors/capture area are more apparent to more people at a price they can afford.

The ‘standard’ size of a tv has grown from 22” to 50” in the last 25 years yet viewing distances have not grown, meanwhile movie attendance has been decimated in the last year. 4K will become the norm as 5G proliferates and these all push resolution and capture sensor size to new limits.
A super 35 camera can get the same field of view by using a wider lens or being further back.
Part of the allure of IMAX is having the background in focus.
The most important thing is the aspect ratio.

Upvote 0
Canon R5, Canon R1, Canon "R5c". Canon is doing their thing. I bought an R5 (moved from MFT to FF) and love it as a hybrid. Overheating is a nagging worry so far but hasn't impacted anything I've done with the camera. I would totally love a R5 with zero overheating and a RAW internal 6K 24/30p video image and FF 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 up to 120p. I've heard the C70 build quality has been less than typical Canon C series cameras which is unfortunate. Build quality is really important when you are dropping $5K+ on a camera these days.

Anyway, R5 has been a wonderful camera for stills and video. I've only really wanted more dynamic range in video so hopefully we get a Clog3 for the R5 that helps with that.

As for the discussion about S35 vs FF for cinema...I say use whatever the hell you want.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Kodak still sells 50 ISO daylight film. OTOH the R5 has base video ISO of what? 400? Trying opening up a fast lens at 1/50th of second in full sun.

Instead of looking at FF stills sensors it would make more sense to make a more video shaped sensor. At least make it a 2:1 aspect ratio o even better 2.40x1.
Hell, I'd REALLY like a stills sensor in a more panoramic aspect ratio, if they made one like the Xpan film camera, I'd be all on board to buy that camera!!

LOL, if they even made a modern 35mm film camera like the Xpan new today, hopefully mostly mechanical, I'd be near the front of the line to buy that.

At this point, I just wish someone would start making reasonable anamorphic lenses for FF cameras....why do they all cost an arm and a leg?
I'd love this for video, but I'd also REALLY enjoy it for stills.

cayenne

Upvote 0
Hell, I'd REALLY like a stills sensor in a more panoramic aspect ratio, if they made one like the Xpan film camera, I'd be all on board to buy that camera!!

LOL, if they even made a modern 35mm film camera like the Xpan new today, hopefully mostly mechanical, I'd be near the front of the line to buy that.

At this point, I just wish someone would start making reasonable anamorphic lenses for FF cameras....why do they all cost an arm and a leg?
I'd love this for video, but I'd also REALLY enjoy it for stills.

cayenne

I've got both a 6x12 and a 6x17 rollfilm back in storage so I'm an easy sell. Main reason for wanting higher resolution is to crop to whatever aspect ratio I want.

Upvote 0