There is an APS-C RF mount camera coming [CR3]

Well, Canon put the joystick back on the R5 after removing it from the R. I assume they did so because there was consumer demand for the joystick. I have not had any experience with the R5, but with the 1DxIII I find that in certain situations with fast moving subjects, I turn off the touch controller and use the joystick, which I find to be more controllable under these conditions. I also found that the touch screen selection on the R was very difficult to control with moving subjects as well. Finally, there seemed to be a lot of vocal demand for a joystick on this forum, so taking all of these in consideration, I believe Canon will include a joystick on the R7.

That is why I believe the resolution of an R7 will be important. It needs to have sufficiently high enough resolution to make it worth purchasing for bird and wildlife photographers. The R5 with a 1.4 converter has essentially the same reach as an APS-C sensor alone, so the benefit of the APS-C sensor is in cropping when reach limited. Shooting songbirds often requires some severe cropping, so the higher the resolution the better.
I don't have any issues with Canon releasing a 7D replacement in RF. I just don't believe that it will be cheap for what people want from it. The days of the 7D series being cheap/fast/good AF and weather sealed are over.... and if I am wrong then everyone wins :)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I don't really think having a crop camera without crop lenses is as crazy as it sounds. Remember APS-H? The very long run of the 1D 1.3x crop range *never* had any APS-H crop lenses to fit them, and pros always were in love with those cameras. A true 7D replacement is not targeted towards an audience that wants cheap glass.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Aps-c was always really about price, my understanding is that price difference is much smaller now, those 600 & 800 lenses seemed to me to be an indicator, so what do I know! :LOL:

Price doesn't end with the camera. A 300mm lens mounted on a crop body will have the angle of view of a 500mm lens on FF. That's where the big price difference is, along with a size & weight difference.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
But as it stands this only makes sense for wildlife and sports shooters. There are no APS-C lenses in the RF lineup, and nothing on the wider end (10mm) that would suit vloggers. You'll just be paying for bigger, heavier, more expensive glass that you aren't getting value from, and at that point you're better off going Sony or Fuji.

Nothing stops you from buying EF-S lenses (if you don't have it already).
That being said, Fujifilm has build a really nice APS-C mirrorless system, and seems to be serious about APS-C. Nice cameras and a wide selection of native lenses. If they had an advanced AF-technology, I would be tempted.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Why someone will buy APS-C mirrorless when RP and R both are in reachable price range... dont understand the concept
This makes sense only with dedicated lenses. Cheaper, lighter package.
Have you even read any posts in this thread? :LOL:

A crop sensor gives Canon an option to market M6 II/90D pixel density with 20 FPS mechanical, and R5 autofocus at a price below the R5.

Doing that on the high res R will definitely cost more than the R5, since it requires 83+ MP and a 1DX III level shutter, that would only be allowed to reach full speed in crop mode. After all, even with their now amazing throughput, 83+ MP at 20 FPS seems impossible to pull off for now - at least without also going to 1DX III level pricing.

An IBIS assembly may also be more effective in a crop sensor, if you only use FF lenses on it. There's less weight to move (the sensor is less than half the size and mass of an FF one) and far, far more space to travel towards any edge.

For a high end, 7D level sports, wildlife and action camera, were cropping an R5 simply leaves some reach to be desired and even cropping the high res R will require compromising on cost at the very least, APS-C is still a good option even without dedicated lenses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
..., what an APS-C sensor will do betten than than the FF R5? ...

1: Less rolling shutter.
2: Higher video specs especially higher frame rates.
3: Faster flash sync speed.
4: Cost less.
5: Better magnification and framing in the viewfinder and back screen.

Also full 14 bit depth images at high framerates (R5 only goes to 6-8 fps at 14bit).
Faster sensor-readout should be possible, and would besides less rolling shutter also potentially give you better performing EVF for action photography.
Less heat (I'm not very much into video - but some will appreciate it). EDIT: Not sure about this one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My question is this m50 $600 aps-c RP just dropped to $999 thast a 300 gap ? not much room in there for the M63? or this rf apsc , so why would you bother? that price drop of the RP over weekend pretty much killed M mount i would say or at least another nail in coffin! They would have to go M6m3 700, rf apsc 800 which is just silly if your trying to minimize products in rough profit times. Be easier to keep M50 as is, firmware upgrade the RP to R levels and keep under 1000 and everyone has a clear choice wouldn't you think specs aside for 100-200 you not going to stay with aps-c with terrible low light features for video and what pro sports shooters are running M50 haha isn't the power shot for the soccer parents. Sounds like the canon boardroom meetings are getting out of control .

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Cinema cameras aside, why?

Who want's this over full-frame? With today's processors, FF has proven to be just as performant as something like the 7D line. If you give me the "reach" argument, then I would give you the FF crop argument. If you give me the cost argument, then I point to the RP. Cheaper than that then you're going to have an up-hill battle against Fujifilm and Sony, or you know, Canon's M lineup.

I don't think it makes any sense, but maybe that's just me. I just hope they don't split their attention developing 'RF-S' lenses that are inferior in every way.

The only way it would be remotely interesting to me is if they made a really good, significantly more compact camera body with some really good, compact, L-glass (IE, competitive with Fuji's lenses), while also obviously maintaining the ability to use FF lenses. Then, maybe I'd justify one as a travel camera/backup body.

But seeing as how they never made L-glass for EF-S...

In other words, give me an RF line of APS-C lenses that can go toe-to-toe with Fuji X or GTFO.
This is I think aimed at wildlife / sports shooters like myself who are using cameras like the 7D mark ii with long EF lenses like the EF100-400 ii or the the EF400 f/5.6 (and teleconverters which work get with mirrorless) to give more reach especially for shooting small birds in flight.
If I could afford it I'd buy the R5 and use it in crop mode but would prefer to have a crop sensor camera similar to the R6 in price and performance which I could just about afford and perhaps Canon will price the R7 a bit cheaper than the R6 which would be perfect for me.
I'm not interested in RF-s lenses only long telephoto (although with a speedbooster EF-RF adapter could use wide angle EF lenses like FF)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Doesn't sound like a 7d2 replacement to me, smaller or even same size as an RP? would R6 control and button layout fit? Now if it was same size and layout of R6 but with R5 construction that would be a replacement. So this sounds to me like the start of a rebel line
Rebel line is dead , can't compete with smartphones

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Yes but why a smaller and therefore poorer handling body what is this obsession with teeny weeny :cry:
Yep , my dream camera is basically the R6 with a crop sensor (and no AA filter or ibis) and hopefully a bit cheaper than the R6

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think will be well priced body for professional and enthusiast, who have expensive RF glass.

Nonsense buy this camera to use EF-s glass.
The sigma 18-35mm 1.8 and Canon 60mm macro are perfectly fine EF-S lenses to pair with a capable high end aps c body. The Canon 10-18mm isn't too bad either.

What if someone already has a lot of EF-S glass? Wants a more updated hybrid body with better video specs like R5 and R6, but doesn't have the money to swap the body + several lenses to FF. The transition to FF if you have 3+ lenses to switch is very expensive. If someone wants to cover UWA, medium and short telephoto range for example and doesn't want to live with only 1 lens on new FF body.

Last edited:
Upvote 0