There will not be an EOS 5D Mark V [CR2]

And that is your opinion and you are welcome to it. I will keep trying them out but don’t take them seriously yet as much of my real use involves looking through a viewfinder for hours at a time and I haven’t found one that comes close the experience of an OVF. They are different and always will be, that EVF‘s are capable of functionality impossible in an OVF isn’t the point, that OVF’s are capable of things that EVF’s are not is. No EVF will ever be able to stay on for hours and not use any battery power, no EVF will ever have zero lag...

The battery life is an issue but it's solved through having multiple batteries. Not ideal but works.

EVF lag at 120fps is 0.0083s. It's 10-20 times less than typical human reaction time. At 120fps it makes the reaction worse by 5-10%. But if you shoot in bursts it doesn't matter, you just need to start a burst upfront.

I've shot concerts/action, looking through the OVF for hours. It causes me neck pain unless I adjust a monopod or my own position very carefully. But even if my neck is ok I get a sore eye. It's not so good to use only one eye for hours. So this point comes down to very specific individual preferences. Next time maybe I'll try LCD/LiveView for action on the R5 and its allegedly fantastic autofocus, but there will be no opportunities till the end of the year due to corona.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Having in mind all the DSLR limitations, I wonder why people still wanting to have a Reflex in his hands. Yeah, the battery can work for longer, and you see the image through a real mirror and feel how it takes the photo... but in low light situations MLC focus better, almost have no limitations on the frame, you can see histogram and the final exposure on the viewfinder, IBIS, totally silent shutter and faster... I would be glad to hear the reasons of anyone to still preferring a DSLR over those R5 and R6 bodies. :giggle:

If you are in a studio, or always shooting with speedlites, with AF assist, etc. do you really care about low light performance?

Mirrorless offers more for a lot of folks, but for some, that which is new isn't a big deal to how/what they shoot. So the return on investment is not justified. They may just sit on what they have until Canon gives them an improvement in the platform they prefer to use.

- A

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I too shoot birds and astro with the 5DSR and it is not ideal for either. Too slow for BIF and rarely locks focus (much less acquires focus) when I shoot birds. When it hits it is awesome. Great detail and ability to crop without significant loss of resolution. But it is frustrating for moving subjects. As for astro, I just used it last night on comet and MW. Too much noise and inability to handle higher ISO. As a result, I have to pair it with super fast UWA Sigma lenses to get decent shots.

I will happily replace my 5DSR for all the improvements the R5 promises for my style of shooting. I might also add the high MP body for landscape work when it is introduced but will likely give that one some time to understand what tradeoffs come with so many MP and if it is more of a studio beast or will work well in the wild.

Bob
For astro I use my 5D4. I agree with you 100% regarding the noise of 5DsR on this but since I have 5D4....
For birding I use it mostly for static subjects (and even with 2XIII with my 500mmII). But in the past I had used it with BIF (5DsR+500II no TC of course) with very satisfactory results. The same with 400mm DOII...

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]

1) There are some niggling issues that make that spec sheet seem a tad less shiny. 12/20 fps coming with major baggage depending on what is turned on, we've seen the recording time vs heat information, etc. 12 bit RAW for stills in some of the more demanding modes might also be a letdown for some.​
[..]​

12fps mode is 13-bit according to the spec sheet on the Canon USA site. You need to drop down to 8fps to get 14-bit.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I think body size has still got to shake out over time. What makes sense to me is 1. For those wanting a minimalist body, you go for the M-System. 2. For those who mount pickle jars, supertelephotos, or who want body heat sinks for longer video recordings. — well we will have to see where that goes, but somewhat bigger than R would work for me.

But Canon has already chosen, it appears.

[Don't make it too big and scare away the 'mirrorless is all about being small' crowd] + [internal economies of scale for recycling a common form factor, common batteries, common panel displays, common batteries, buttons, wheels, etc.] appears to be winning out over the old SLR grip/body size model.

...which is a very Sony thing to do. Canon is swallowing its pride here to some degree.

- A

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
...to you. Agree with most of your points, but to answer your question:

"Why would a person switch their entire system - not just body, lenses and flashes and everything else - just to avoid Canon mirrorless?"

The answer might be:
  • Someone has been shooting with an SLR since forever and does not want to give up that experience
  • They hate EVFs altogther or never could get over the 'weirdness' first stages of trying one out
  • They value something very highly that only an OVF can do -- responsiveness, use as a power-free spotting scope for wildlife, etc.
  • They are luddites who trust principally mechanical devices more than overly electronic ones
  • Perhaps they don't trust/like/want to deal with adaptors for their EF glass
  • This may not be mirrorless related at all -- perhaps they have huge hands and don't want to downgrade their grip, ergonomics, handling, etc. with the R platform's more compact setup.
- A

Well, more power to them I suppose, but I think my point stands...this is a five-figure change for a professional or a gear-collecting amateur. As for "principally mechanical devices" - the idea that the 5D MK IV fits this niche is laughable. That ship has sailed a long time ago, we are only talking about 1 specific component. As for ergonomics, there's a grip now for the R5, which also addresses the battery life concerns.

If a person wants to spend thousands just to avoid buying a $100 adapter and leaving it semi-permanently attached with no performance hit (and in fact, improved performance compared to whatever camera they're using now, on all accounts), then that's their right, but I'm not going to say that's a "rational" decision, because it isn't.

I'm being as objective as I possibly can, but the reality for me personally is I sold my 5D MK IV ASAP to get an EOS R, and the regrets from my personal experience have only been lacking the 2nd card slot, and missing a bit of operational speed and battery life. I do also adapt 3 lenses and that is annoying, but the trade-off is full-frame AF and getting strong AF on a 2.0x + 1.4x-extended 70 - 200 f/2.8, not just weak in the center as I did with the MK IV. I'm not saying my opinion is how everyone should feel about it, but again, when I look at the problems one might legitimately have moving to the R5, they are solved better and more cheaply by moving to the IDX III than switching to Nikon for the D850.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017

++++The same source adds that Canon is obviously aware of the popularity of the 5D line and the fact that there are still a lot of shooters that will prefer the DSLR experience. The source suspects that there is some kind of development going on to appease those users, but didn’t know exactly what it was.

A.M.: 5D4 Anniversary / Limited edition with a fancy badge and few additional features added here and there. This may or may not include 1Dx3 LV eye AF capabilities, a somewhat higher FPS, extended life for the shutter, possibly improved video, may be.. just may be Digic10.. What else are you thinking of? sounds like we may need a new thread to discuss. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
But this presumes that:

1) 5D users won't leave to another company that is still putting out modern SLRs.
This one is pretty easy, because no major company is putting their eggs in full-frame SLR. Nikon probably released the last major full-frame DSLR for quite some time with the D780, and if you were leaving the Canon ecosystem right now, I think itd be really, really weird to decide F-Mount is the smart future-proof approach.

Canon's biggest threat was people leaving them for Sony, etc. They finally released cameras that address that threat, and they've done it in a way that makes it really cost effective to stay in their ecosystem (by having far and away the best adapter to make EF lenses work). Someone may still decide they want the A7RIV over an R5, but, that choice will no longer be because of the laughable gulf between the EOS R and the A7RIV.

Basically, the choice was always going to be between upsetting some long-term users who are highly unlikely to find an alternative beyond keeping their current cameras (and who in a few years will inevitably have to upgrade), and losing users who are not likely to come back even when Canon did make an elite camera (because the cost of switching to Sony then back to Canon is way too high to justify it). Pretty easy choice

Upvote 0
I owned every 5 series from 5D2 to present but I'd never even consider buying another 5D after enjoying the MILC benefits over the past 2.5 years. For sure there would be many who still would but I think Canon is making the right move to end it here (if this rumor is correct).

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
EVF lag at 120fps is 0.0083s. It's 10-20 times less than typical human reaction time. At 120fps it makes the reaction worse by 5-10%. But if you shoot in bursts it doesn't matter, you just need to start a burst upfront.

Aren't pro PC gamers asking for way faster than even that with input lag, monitor lag, etc.? Why would wildlifers be any different? Wouldn't some want to nail the decisive moment and not necessarily rely on having the machine gun going throughout a window of possible activity?

I hear you, though, I personally don't need some absurd 300 Hz refresh to do what I do... but some folks may be chasing a more perfectly realtime experience.

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TMHKR

EOS 800D
Sep 1, 2018
True. Also they say Pentax is sticking to DSLR for now.
Pentax just waits for everyone else to stop producing DSLRs, to become a single dedicated DSLR manufacturer. Sounds fine to me, although I always hated Pentax's dedication to a hybrid mechanical/electronic mount. I believe Pentax should've gone full electronic mount, like Canon's EF.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The argument isn't about existing gear, it's about "why isn't Canon going to make new cameras with OVF?"
You argue about what you want, I’ll make the points I want.

As to your argument my point would be this, Canon don’t give a damn about yours or my photography, or indeed photography in general, they need to make money and if they can make money making more DSLR’s they will, if they don’t believe they can they won’t. It’s a simple and obvious unemotional financial decision that we as individual customers have no say in. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a 5D V, I wouldn’t be surprised if there wasn’t.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
++++The same source adds that Canon is obviously aware of the popularity of the 5D line and the fact that there are still a lot of shooters that will prefer the DSLR experience. The source suspects that there is some kind of development going on to appease those users, but didn’t know exactly what it was.

nerfcenter2.jpg

I KNEW IT

- A

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]
[..]
That's inter-frame lag, not the lag from sensor to EVF. To use an analogy, it's nice that harbours can load and unload 120 containers per second from a ship, but there's still the 2 week ocean trip in between.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

A.M.: 5D4 Anniversary / Limited edition with a fancy badge and few additional features added here and there. This may or may not include 1Dx3 LV eye AF capabilities, a somewhat higher FPS, extended life for the shutter, possibly improved video, may be.. just may be Digic10.. What else are you thinking of? sounds like we may need a new thread to discuss. :)
Just chuck in the R5 sensor, and call it a day - I bet plenty would buy that!

Upvote 0

koch1948

EOS-1D X Mark III
Oct 8, 2019
I purchased the EOS-1D X Mark III with a 4-year extended warranty. It is a great camera body, and I am happy with my decision to stick with the 1D series. Now I can continue to use all of my EF lenses natively, and I can take my time before rushing into the new system and purchasing RF lenses.

I was originally thinking about switching from my old 1DXII to the 5DV. However, I assumed Canon would not offer the EOS 5D Mark V. It turned out that my guess was correct.

Upvote 0