There will not be an EOS 5D Mark V [CR2]

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
EF glass performs better on R bodies than it does on native DSLRs. AF off sensor is simply more accurate and flexible than through an OVF. The trade off is ergonomics, depending on the lens.

I can understand why some would be resistant to mirrorless. Perhaps the OVF has already been romanticized, similar to how shooting on film has been. Some will never make the switch, and that's okay. I suspect 5DIV's will continue to function for decades+ into the future and will always be an option for people, whether they shoot professionally or otherwise.

Yes. See Ken Rockwell's use of the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM on an EOS R with both a 1.4x and 2.0x extender (gen 2) in front of it here: https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/100-400mm-ii.htm . The R5/R6 will only be better.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Why would a person switch their entire system - not just body, lenses and flashes and everything else - just to avoid Canon mirrorless? Because there would be significant cost to doing that, which would far exceed the cost of trading in a MK IV and purchasing a 1DX III, superior in every way to the MK IV except for size/weight and megapixels. The D850 gets you to 45 MP, sure, but a 5DS gets you to 50, and though I agree it lags behind both the MK IV and D850 in other ways, those gaps are addressed either by the 1DX or by moving to mirrorless and buying an EF>RF adapter.

Bottom line - The 1DX III exists because there wasn't and still isn't a mirrorless equivalent. The 5D MK V won't exist because there is.

...to you. Agree with most of your points, but to answer your question:

"Why would a person switch their entire system - not just body, lenses and flashes and everything else - just to avoid Canon mirrorless?"

The answer might be:
  • Someone has been shooting with an SLR since forever and does not want to give up that experience
  • They hate EVFs altogther or never could get over the 'weirdness' first stages of trying one out
  • They value something very highly that only an OVF can do -- responsiveness, use as a power-free spotting scope for wildlife, etc.
  • They are luddites who trust principally mechanical devices more than overly electronic ones
  • Perhaps they don't trust/like/want to deal with adaptors for their EF glass
  • This may not be mirrorless related at all -- perhaps they have huge hands and don't want to downgrade their grip, ergonomics, handling, etc. with the R platform's more compact setup.
- A

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I've seen some reviews by shooters with pre-pro copies that say their legacy(EF) glass actually performs better than on their EF bodies, because of the superior AF system in the R5, which makes complete sense. I don’t see why it would perform worse, presuming you’re using one of Canon’s own designed and manufactured adapters. There were those saying the same thing with production copies of the R and RP, as well.

+1. And adapting EF to R unlocks some very neat stuff for SLR users:
  • AF points all over the frame when using the viewfinder
  • A control ring
  • Rear CPL or ND for heretofore very difficult to filter lenses
- A

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
OVF’s are on no more thin ice than film cameras.

True. Also they say Pentax is sticking to DSLR for now. DSLR will stay for long time but will become a niche product.
However my message was about your statement that 'EVF’s are a long way from replacing the abilities of OVF’s '. In terms of the abilities, EVFs are catching up very fast and already overtook OVFs in many aspects.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
But that's what I'm saying. Take a look at how the AF in the 1DX III OVF works. It is unlike anything we've seen before. I would not make any bets that they can reuse that at a lower price point.

It is not about how much they can improve it. It is about how much they can improve it while reducing costs - after all it will be purchased less than previous 5 series models due to the RF system.
Maybe but only because R5 came first. If 5DV were to appear 1 year before R5 we cannot know how well it would sell. And what about lower price point talks? 5D4 had lower price than 1DxII and it used its AF system. True 1DxII was stil faster etc but you get the point...

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
But, it is too soon to kill the line off, it is Canon's "anchor tenant" so to speak. They should make a 5d mk 5 to ease the transition.

The transition, so to speak, has come and gone.

The hint was the EOS-R, and the confirmations are the R5 and R6.

Still more to come as well.

I love my 5D4 and will continue to use it, but I have no interest in anything but mirrorless OVF cameras myself. That ship has sailed.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
I have 2x 5DmkII’s, a mkIII, a mkIV, EOS-3 and a lot of EF, mostly L, glass. Who cares if they’re not continuing with the “5D” line as a DSLR, as long as we get a superior replacement, which they have given us. I’ve literally spent over half of my life shooting “TV”, so I couldn’t care less about the tiny OVF in DSLR’s. I’ve been using EVF’s, just on a professional basis, for approaching a quarter century. The only real drawbacks I see, so far, are the slightly smaller body and the battery life. Canon is usually at the top of the hill with still cam ergonomics, but they need to remember that there are still human hands holding and using these cameras and just because you can make something smaller, doesn’t mean you should.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
But this presumes that:

1) 5D users won't leave to another company that is still putting out modern SLRs.

- A

What company is still putting out modern SLRs that is not sometime in the near future going to abandon them as well? If I was a working pro using 5D4's, I would continue using 5D4's rather than pay the premium of switching systems - only to end up in another dead end. Not like the existing camera's are going to suddenly stop working, and Canon is still manufacturing them so you can get them brand new. They still make the 7D2 and it as released two years earlier than the 5D4.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I am a happy owner of a couple 5DIV’s and a half dozen L’s that do what I need of them. I make or at least made my living shooting images mainly for large Restaurant Groups before these current events. Besides, I shoot 90% of my projects on a tripod and tethered to a computer, so I see very few reasons to buy an R5 or any mirrorless system. I also hate adding an adapter in order to use EF lenses on an R body, it’s like Apple requiring a dongle to add a peripheral to a MBP. Who knows what will happen, will our clients or industry evaporate? Besides, I am not investing any more money into gear unless it’s absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
True. Also they say Pentax is sticking to DSLR for now. DSLR will stay for long time but will become a niche product.
However my message was about your statement that 'EVF’s are a long way from replacing the abilities of OVF’s '. In terms of the abilities, EVFs are catching up very fast and already overtook OVFs in many aspects.
And that is your opinion and you are welcome to it. I will keep trying them out but don’t take them seriously yet as much of my real use involves looking through a viewfinder for hours at a time and I haven’t found one that comes close the experience of an OVF. They are different and always will be, that EVF‘s are capable of functionality impossible in an OVF isn’t the point, that OVF’s are capable of things that EVF’s are not is. No EVF will ever be able to stay on for hours and not use any battery power, no EVF will ever have zero lag...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Mirrorless is the present and future for the mass market. EVF’s are a long way from replacing the abilities of OVF’s and until they can there will still be an active DSLR user base.

User base, yes. Market expansion? Not so much IMO. I love and use my 5D4 alongside the EOS-R but I prefer mirrorless. When the R5 gets here the go to will be the EOS-R and the R5.

Upvote 0

Fran Decatta

EOS R6
Mar 6, 2019
Having in mind all the DSLR limitations, I wonder why people still wanting to have a Reflex in his hands. Yeah, the battery can work for longer, and you see the image through a real mirror and feel how it takes the photo... but in low light situations MLC focus better, almost have no limitations on the frame, you can see histogram and the final exposure on the viewfinder, IBIS, totally silent shutter and faster... I would be glad to hear the reasons of anyone to still preferring a DSLR over those R5 and R6 bodies. :giggle:

Upvote 0
Why would a person switch their entire system - not just body, lenses and flashes and everything else - just to avoid Canon mirrorless? Because there would be significant cost to doing that, which would far exceed the cost of trading in a MK IV and purchasing a 1DX III, superior in every way to the MK IV except for size/weight and megapixels. The D850 gets you to 45 MP, sure, but a 5DS gets you to 50, and though I agree it lags behind both the MK IV and D850 in other ways, those gaps are addressed either by the 1DX or by moving to mirrorless and buying an EF>RF adapter.

Bottom line - The 1DX III exists because there wasn't and still isn't a mirrorless equivalent. The 5D MK V won't exist because there is.
To be clear, I'm not betting people are leaving in droves, I'm saying there will be camps of photographers who fall on different sides of the decision, and Canon is betting more will jump into an R5 than leave the ecosystem. Everyone has different needs and no camera can act as a one-size-fits-all. Who would consider leaving instead of going to an R5 from a 5DIV? I can think of a couple scenarios which could apply.

Anyone that wants more than 20mp, an OVF, and improved sensor performance over the 5D IV - Canon would have nothing in their ecosystem to fill that hole, but the D850 would fill it. If Nikon were to continue releasing bodies in that vein, it may be attractive to those really wanting an OVF. Obviously that remains to be seen.

Or, what about someone who wants improved sensor performance/resolution but requires better battery life per battery than the R5 offers? As an example, I'm already carrying 5 LPE6Ns with my 5DIV and burn through all of them on my hiking trips without opportunity to re-charge. The CIPA rating on a 5D IV is 900 shots per, but the R5 is 320. According to CIPA ratings, I'd need 14 batteries for the same activity. I could see that being annoying enough for some to consider changes.

Again, I don't think you're going to see people leaving in droves, but assuming no-one will is a reach in my opinion.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
+1. And adapting EF to R unlocks some very neat stuff for SLR users:
  • AF points all over the frame when using the viewfinder
  • A control ring
  • Rear CPL or ND for heretofore very difficult to filter lenses
- A

Yes. I believe when I get my R5, I will probably get the control ring adapter for it and assign the aperture to it.

Upvote 0

schiueva

5D4 A9ii
Mar 25, 2020
How well does EF glass "actually" perform on an R5?

Yes. I am one of them who has tons of canon EF lens using canon more than ten years. Switching the whole system might not keep all the old canon customer.
maybe they just hope for more people switching so they release this news. Later when the sales of the R5 and R6 goes down maybe they will put the R5 tech into a EF body like what Nikon did.
I am keeping some EF lens and hope they will come out a new 5D in the future

Canon must have an absolute crap-ton of confidence in the R5/R6 then. Any big moves with a cornerstone product like the 5D series is going to be done at the risk of polarizing current users.

Some will be excited for the change, some will begrudgingly transition, while others will not be quite ready to transition and maybe hold on to their old gear, or consider a different product. Canon appears to be gambling that the R5 will bring in more people than the 5D would, and that is a tall order considering the 5D has been such a key line for professional users.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but ceasing production of the 5D series in favour of a new line with a very familiar feel but different foundation may be a watershed moment for Canon. Now I really want to try one.

Upvote 0