There will not be an EOS 5D Mark V [CR2]

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'd say AF precision and consistency is the biggest improvement of the R over the 5DIV, particularly at wide apertures.

The other big step up is with exposure. The EVF is so good at showing exactly what the captured exposure will be that it frees up fingers and mind to compose more easily and to nail desired exposure exactly. EXACTLY. By using spot AF, moving the spot zone slowly over different parts of, say, a person's face, the shadow/highlight balance can be locked in with AE LOCK HOLD (H*).

"Stone age" might be a rhetorical flourish, but "paradigm shift" is not much of an exaggeration at all. Seriously. Photographers with years of experience might already be nailing exposure consistently, and they might be satisfied with AF. (BUT, until you see the AF improvement of Canon's mirrorless, you just can't understand how much better it is.) Newer photographers, however, don't have as steep a learning curve, and can start capturing and creating faster than before. Much faster, I believe.

This is why some of us who have made the move to mirrorless are so very enthusiastic. Hopefully not to the level of crusading, but definitely stoked!

See? I'm this excited with just the R. And still patiently waiting for an R5!
I have got to learn to use AE LOCK HOLD (H*). Excited every time I read about someone using it, but never have. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I have got to learn to use AE LOCK HOLD (H*). Excited every time I read about someone using it, but never have. Thanks!
I can't even remember where I learned about it--it might have been six or seven years ago from a Rudy Winston video on Canon's website. It could have been at my old camera club...Or it might have been at one of the only seminars I've attended: Arthur Morris when he was still a Canon Explorer of Light.

But, wow, did it improve things when I was using the 5DIII and the 5DIV, because I rely on Spot Metering so much. Get the right exposure, lock it in, fire away with any composition. And then along comes the EVF, where I no longer had to rely on hoping that I metered the right spot, but could see the exposure and make fine adjustments just by slightly shifting where the spot is placed.

Strangely, I don't think the User Guides even mention H* anymore except in tables at the end of the e-booklet. I only found it in the R, R5, and R6 user guides by doing a search.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I can't even remember where I learned about it--it might have been six or seven years ago from a Rudy Winston video on Canon's website. It could have been at my old camera club...Or it might have been at one of the only seminars I've attended: Arthur Morris when he was still a Canon Explorer of Light.

But, wow, did it improve things when I was using the 5DIII and the 5DIV, because I rely on Spot Metering so much. Get the right exposure, lock it in, fire away with any composition. And then along comes the EVF, where I no longer had to rely on hoping that I metered the right spot, but could see the exposure and make fine adjustments just by slightly shifting where the spot is placed.

Strangely, I don't think the User Guides even mention H* anymore except in tables at the end of the e-booklet. I only found it in the R, R5, and R6 user guides by doing a search.
I almost exclusively spot meter. Might be useful to me. There just is not much for me to shoot right now. The grandson (3.5 years old) is just now starting to ham it up a little. Very little. Honestly cannot wait for the pandemic to be over.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I almost exclusively spot meter. Might be useful to me. There just is not much for me to shoot right now. The grandson (3.5 years old) is just now starting to ham it up a little. Very little. Honestly cannot wait for the pandemic to be over.
I hear you! Same here. My wife and I had actually converted our master bedroom into a portrait studio this year in February. (Now we sleep in a little in-law suite.) I tiled, painted, mounted backdrop racks and a boom arm, got a few stools and a tiny settee for posing. I even had clientele who wanted traditional formal portraits to supplement location lifestyle...And then came the pandemic and masks on everybody.

(I do believe our Creator has the best comic timing in the universe! But I am very aware that many people have suffered terribly from the actual effects of Covid-19, and the hyped-hysteria and anxiety. It's just how ironic it felt to have put in the work--and then portrait photography effectively put on a global pause. Don't we all personalize big events to some extent some of the time?)

But there is hope with the vaccines, etc. And just Saturday we went for a walk around the local college campus and were allowed to enter the stadium. Lots of people climbing the stairs for exercise, or checking out the fake "fans" in the seats. And then I started talking to a security guard. He told me very proudly that his daughter had just passed her bar exam on the first try. We were in the shade of an overhang, but the bright light from the field shone beautiful light on his face, and so I asked to take his photo. He hesitated a moment, but I just told him how great he looked, and that I would not post the image anywhere. My kids and wife were waiting for me. He smiled and agreed, so I offered him my email address for a copy of the photo, which, by the way, came out great! And he wrote to me last night asking for it.

I had on my mask to take the photo, but, using a 70-200mm, I was back far enough for us both to feel comfortable. He lowered his mask and I took the shot.

A word here about the R6. I had been experimenting Saturday with Fv mode. I was just starting to get the hang of it, but while chatting had forgotten about it. My shutter speed was set at 1/640th, and though my aperture was at f/3.5, because of the shade we were in, and the spot meter reading, the ISO had shot up to 4000. With the R or 5DIV, this would have been barely usable, but with the R6 it cleaned up beautifully with just a touch of noise reduction in LR CC, and I got a very pleasing shot of a man beaming with pride as he thought of his daughter, the new lawyer.

Ok! Enough of my stories! Hang in there!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Timo2020

Shoot Raw on R5
Nov 26, 2020
CR2, people.

I still think a 5D5 is happening.

- A

I hope you are right! When I see the sales numbers DSLR versus mirrorless, one thing pops into my eye. Last year, Canon sold around 4.15 million cameras. Only 940,000 of them were mirrorless. That is about 20%. So, the cash-cows are still the DSLR cameras. Here is a link:

In addition to that, the EOS 5D Mark IV is the most popular DSLR camera in 2019. Canon's mirrorless camera(s) are in the third rang behind two Sony cameras. If that is the future, good luck Canon. Here is the link:

I need to upgrade my camera system. I use EOS cameras since 1995. I began with the EOS 500, upgraded to the wonderful EOS 5 (eye controlled, which I still miss), and I used for some time the EOS 3 - all back in Germany. I do not want to buy an older EOS 5D Mark IV model. And if there is no EOS 5D Mark V anymore, I would need to switch to another camera system. But then, I would either buy a Nikon system - rumors say the Nikon D880 (replaced the D850) will come 2021 - or I will switch to a mirrorless Sony camera system. Sorry Canon, it was a wonderful experience with you!

For me it is surprising, that Nikon goes in both directions, DSLR and mirrorless. While the world-leader Canon will give up on their most successful camera and goes in that very important market sector only mirrorless? I don't understand this. This is economically totally illogically. Because, which camera (system) shall bring Canon the money? Canon lost already thousands of true customers so far. And there will be more who will leave.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Timo2020

Shoot Raw on R5
Nov 26, 2020
It depends! If you get a new 5D Mark IV that was only send back, but is technically okay, yes, it is a great deal. But when you go to the Canon homepage read the reviews, you will at least find one complain that the buyer got a 5D Mark IV with a shutter count of 9000!!! That is not refurbished anymore as we understand it. That thing is heavily used! Then the price of $1750 is much to high. If you want a used one check Adorama or KEH out. They have always very good deals.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2019
It depends! If you get a new 5D Mark IV that was only send back, but is technically okay, yes, it is a great deal. But when you go to the Canon homepage read the reviews, you will at least find one complain that the buyer got a 5D Mark IV with a shutter count of 9000!!! That is not refurbished anymore as we understand it. That thing is heavily used! Then the price of $1750 is much to high. If you want a used one check Adorama or KEH out. They have always very good deals.
Thank you...Yes my 7d was was refub from Canon with around 8k shutter {first one was 20k and had to fight a lot}

Upvote 0