Third Party Lenses for the RF mount

Aug 26, 2015
3rd parties design glass specifically for RF mount cameras, too.

I have had no issues with my EF Sigma 35/1.4 mounted on an EOS RP with the RF adapter.

I wonder if Alex Barrera's problems with the Samyang AF 85/1.4 have more to do with his R5 than they do the lens, and I have read previously that once the R5 updated to the latest firmware, problems with the Samyang were eliminated. I cannot confirm this with my own experience just yet.

EDIT: many commenters on the video are saying that with version 3 camera firmware, the lens works just fine. It may not be a lens firmware issue at all.
I already wrote that I don't have a problem with adapted EF lenses. They are older and much cheaper and they work.

But RF lenses with AF not optimised how Canon designed it? No thanks. Might as well go E-mount instead then, there is really no real difference.

No 3rd party manufacturer designs glass specifically for Canon RF. They do a little adjusting but they don't design the lens from the ground up to take advantage of the wider mount, it has to be E-mount L-mount etc. compatible as well.
I mean it is the same as using Sony glass adapted to the Nikon Z cameras. Just why?

They might work just fine but as technology evolves even further they just going to have more problems regarding AF, the colours will be different as well, I just don't think it is worth the savings when Canon does the job of delivering top quality glass ready for even higher-end bodies.
There are cheaper options here and there, but it's not the main focus, for that specifically, Canon / Nikon are not the ones to go for at this point.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
They might work just fine but as technology evolves even further they just going to have more problems regarding AF, the colours will be different as well, I just don't think it is worth the savings when Canon does the job of delivering top quality glass ready for even higher-end bodies.

I don't think there's any evidence for this.

IMO, in the mirrorless era, much of the appeal of 1st party glass comes down to superstition. When the difference between the RF 85/1.2 and the Samyang RF 85/1.4 comes down to barely half a stop of light and $2000, you start to wonder what exactly you're paying for (unless you're independently wealthy or a highly successful pro).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2020
Basically all 3rd party lenses ready for Sony E can easily come for RF.
Samyang 45 1.8 and 75 1.8 for example.
Or the compact Tamron 2.8 zoom lenses.

P.S. + Sigma 85 1.4 DN

E mount has a shorter flange distance, so the Tamrons might not be as easy, but anything for L mount (that means all the Sigma DN lenses) should be good to go optically. But this is just speculation. :)

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
As for "old" lenses that work well on Rf, I can say the ef 35mm f/1.4L II is stunning, out of this world. Never misses with AF, even with action. With the adapter ring, because it is not a front-heavy lens, it's ergonomically very pleasant to use. Sure, a little long for the common conception of a 35mm, but if you can handle the Rf 50mm 1.2L's bulk, the ef 35mm is nicer still.

One of the only other Ef lenses I've kept is Sigma's amazing old 180mm Macro. Excellent AF for what it is, better I'd say than on the 5DIV or the 80D, and made better yet with the R bodies' manual focus guides.

Seriously, the R bodies are making some old lenses better than ever!

So, Sigma, please, join the party. Bring Canon customers great lenses of your own, and help keep Canon sharp with your competition!

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I don't think there's any evidence for this.

IMO, in the mirrorless era, much of the appeal of 1st party glass comes down to superstition. When the difference between the RF 85/1.2 and the Samyang RF 85/1.4 comes down to barely half a stop of light and $2000, you start to wonder what exactly you're paying for (unless you're independently wealthy or a highly successful pro).
Believing that for four times less one gets identical quality, that is what's called superstition.
Again I have no problem with having all these options if they can support it to work reliably at the same level (for both photo and video), I just think 1st party glass was the whole point of the RF system right from the very beginning and I find it funny that some people think their existence is pointless.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Believing that for four times less one gets identical quality, that is what's called superstition.
Again I have no problem with having all these options if they can support it to work reliably at the same level (for both photo and video), I just think 1st party glass was the whole point of the RF system right from the very beginning and I find it funny that some people think their existence is pointless.
This isn't about belief, but empirical evidence. If my old lenses work better on an R system body, that's a gift.

I bought into the R system initially for one lens, the Rf 50mm 1.2L. The reviews convinced me it was The One 50mm I had been waiting for. I was never seriously tempted to go for the Ef 50mm 1.2L, but the ef 50mm 1.4 was my first prime lens.

I traded in the ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II because it was ergonomically very difficult for me on the EOS R, especially in portrait orientation.

And I plan to use the ef 35mm 1.4L II on the R bodies as long as possible. It's one I classify as magical.

Customers can certainly go on a lens by lens basis, following reviews of new lenses, reading and seeing how old lenses are doing. Some EF lenses will be considered gems as time goes by, others will be forgotten. But why would anything not RF be discounted when there is so much solid, clear evidence the old lenses perform better than they did before? And why would somebody discard a perfectly good lens for "native" because of, what, "belief"? For a 5% gain in performance?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
This isn't about belief, but empirical evidence. If my old lenses work better on an R system body, that's a gift.
I said it two times already that EF adapted makes a whole lot of sense, so I don't understand what wasn't clear about that.

I would much rather use EF lenses that are tested and working on that platform than new aftermarket RF lenses as problems may occur as stated in the video.

But it was stated that there is no point in spending way more on native Canon RF glass, which is just a superstition, they cost a lot more, but they do deliver.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
I said it two times already that EF adapted makes a whole lot of sense, so I don't understand what wasn't clear about that.

I would much rather use EF lenses that are tested and working on that platform than new aftermarket RF lenses as problems may occur as stated in the video.

But it was stated that there is no point in spending way more on native RF glass, which is just a superstition.

There are about a dozen commenters on Barrera's video claiming the Samyang works just fine as long as your R5 firmware is updated, and Barrera himself never states in the video which version he's using. The evidence suggests he was using firmware version 1.0, which could be the problem.

What I meant about "superstition" is that absent autofocus differences, there's increasingly little reason to pony up for 1st party glass given how much of a premium one pays for it in the RF ecosystem

On that note, Barrera mentions his own previous 3rd party glass autofocus problems in this very video, but somehow fails to notice that his problem was 3rd party glass on a DSLR (ostensibly not in live-view mode), which as I have noticed myself, often results in misfocused shots due to the less accurate phase detect autofocus. With contrast-detect autofocus, there are few problems at all.

Upvote 0
Sigma and Tamron making RF lenses can't come soon enough. RF lens pricing is at peak stupidity around 30% dearer than equivalent EF in Australia. There's not a single RF lens I would buy, EF or third party is all I will use. Meanwhile Sony blows us away with a superb 35 f/1.4 GM at $1398 and only 525g. I can imagine a Canon RF being $2200 if f/1.4 or $2800 if f/1.2

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
What I meant about "superstition" is that absent autofocus differences, there's increasingly little reason to pony up for 1st party glass given how much of a premium one pays for it in the RF ecosystem
My main point is this: there is a Samyang 85 1.4 that works with the latest firmware, fine. But are people just going to wait a long time until the line-up is complete or just adapt various lenses in various versions, changing adapters, etc. do I really want to switch from an old EF lens to have a new aftermarket lens instead of just continue using the old one?
Each time some new feature is introduced regarding RF lenses, they will have to find a way to fix it unlike EF, where it is an old platform, but the IBIS function still needs an update in some cases.

I mean I have the Tamron 35/1.4 SP, another inexpensive but 'premium' EF lens, that works 100% fine after the firmware update. It really is an amazing bargain but I am just going to sell it on and get the 35 1.8 RF instead. Because there are about 10 more Tamron lenses that are not yet fully compatible with the R5 (the 17-35/2.8-4 is the other one that got the update so far). And there is no other 1.4 Tamron lens to match this one, it sort of stands on its own.
On the other hand, if we take RF and EF into one basket, then we can see that Canon has quite a nice line-up ready to go,. working out of the box and they render less differently.

If aftermarket native mount glass is so appealing, why one needs to go to Canon instead of Sony where there is a more complete line-up available? Personally, I just don't see the point in having RF-mount or Z-mount camera and not fully utilising what it offers when Sony actually has other advantages, but not in terms of offering the highest level of optics, whether that's the most portable 70-200 f2.8 and f4, a 28-70 with f2, tilt-shift lenses with autofocus, and so on. Right from the get-go, the best EF adaptability and the new RF-mount Canon lenses were the two highlights of this system.

Upvote 0

dominic_siu

R5, 1435, 2870, 100500, 28, 100 Macro , 135 (RF)
Aug 31, 2018
I think we may end up needing a different term to describe RF mounts from third parties if they're not *true* RF (using high speed protocols, with control ring)

Because, as we all know, it's a lot easier just to use the mechanical mount of the RF system but send the 1987 vintage EF protocols to the camera - which Sigma and the other third parties finally understand after quite a long time of getting it almost but not quite right.

I'd call them EF-R lenses, for lenses using the RF mount with EF protocols..

Does it really matter?

I doubt that an 'EF-R' lens would focus as fast as a native RF lens could. They still could be very good lenses, maybe the difference won't be that much in real world use. But I would hesitate to call them true 'RF' lenses.
Agree, there is also another risk of using 3rd party lenses on EOS R series bodies which Canon can simply make those lenses malfunction or not working with updating firmware of the cameras

Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
My main point is this: there is a Samyang 85 1.4 that works with the latest firmware, fine. But are people just going to wait a long time until the line-up is complete or just adapt various lenses in various versions, changing adapters, etc. do I really want to switch from an old EF lens to have a new aftermarket lens instead of just continue using the old one?
Yep, that's exactly what I'm going to do. By the end of this year, I'll have an EF mount Sigma 35/1.4 and Canon 200/2.8 L II and an RF mount Samyang AF 14/2.8 and Samyang AF 85/1.4 (the lens that started all this discussion). I'll put an EF/RF adapter on each of the EF lenses. Because I shoot only primes, this 4-lens setup will satisfy all my shooting needs w/o breaking the bank.

If aftermarket native mount glass is so appealing, why one needs to go to Canon instead of Sony where there is a more complete line-up available? Personally, I just don't see the point in having RF-mount or Z-mount camera and not fully utilising what it offers when Sony actually has other advantages, but not in terms of offering the highest level of optics, whether that's the most portable 70-200 f2.8 and f4, a 28-70 with f2, tilt-shift lenses with autofocus, and so on. Right from the get-go, the best EF adaptability and the new RF-mount Canon lenses were the two highlights of this system.
Because I don't need to have all my glass match and Canon has better menus and ergonomics. I'm fine with mixing and matching glass; clients don't notice the color differences between different lens manufacturers, nor do they notice differences in sharpness at the corners of the frame.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Each time some new feature is introduced regarding RF lenses, they will have to find a way to fix it unlike EF, where it is an old platform, but the IBIS function still needs an update in some cases.

If aftermarket native mount glass is so appealing, why one needs to go to Canon instead of Sony where there is a more complete line-up available?
This pretty much sums up why it's looking increasingly likely my next camera will be a Sony, despite my preference for Canon's ergonomics. I'm actually a little sad about that given how much I've enjoyed my Canon gear and the fact that I think Canon gear is generally good quality. But the lenses available for the Sony system, including third party lenses, and their price, are making the Sony system just so much more appealing to me than the Canon system. I realise most of the R system gear is fantastic, and for some people it is exactly what they want. For me, though, the range of smaller and lighter lenses with good IQ, at relatively affordable prices, available for the Sony system is much more of a draw card. I'll hold on a while yet on case things might change for the RF system, but at this point I don't think it will change soon enough for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Sigma and Tamron making RF lenses can't come soon enough. RF lens pricing is at peak stupidity around 30% dearer than equivalent EF in Australia. There's not a single RF lens I would buy, EF or third party is all I will use. Meanwhile Sony blows us away with a superb 35 f/1.4 GM at $1398 and only 525g. I can imagine a Canon RF being $2200 if f/1.4 or $2800 if f/1.2
That new Sony 35mm f/1.4 looks great, from the reviews I've seen. I expected it to cost a lot more than that.

Upvote 0
B&H Photo lists 42 Sigma, Tamron and Tokina full frame lenses for Sony e-mount. Many of those are mirrorless designs (not adapted SLR/DSLR), meaning half or more of the R&D is already done toward modified versions for RF mount. No need to reinvent the wheel when all you need to do is change the bolt pattern that fasten it to the axle.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
I'm really interested in getting a third-party lense for astro shots as soon as movement restrictions allow me to go to dark sky places. Does anybody have any experience on the following lenses:

Laowa Venus 12mm F2.8 Zero-D
Laowa 15mm F2 FE Zero-D
Samyang RF 14mm F2.8

I'd really appreciate every feedback on either one of these lenses.

I use to own the Sigma EF 20 F1.4 but I wasn't entirely happy with it (not wide enough/ RF Lenses seem to be way sharper & less coma etc.) so I sold and I've searching ever since.
My only manual lens is the Samyang XP 14mm EF F2.4. Stars don't move much in distance - so I'm keeping it. Can hardly be beat imho.

Upvote 0