Third Party Lenses for the RF mount

Mar 17, 2020
We are lucky that third party lens makers have gone high-end since its what modern cameras deserve. I remember that - to my surprise - the otherwise great 70-200 IS L f/4 showed slight weakness compared to the 70-200 IS L II/III on the 5DS/R. Something not noticeable on the 5DII/III (never compared with the 5DIV). I for one plan to expand my current RF lineup with whatever lenses work best on the fabled R5S once it arrives. More choices is just better. ( I know all lenses perform better with more MPIX, but relatively the differences kick in).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
Hi, I am interested in precise and fast autofocus RF compatible lenses, if possible. Manual focus is tricky, time consuming and for example in very low light conditions hard to use.
I am interested also on very fast and bright lens with an aprture btww F/1,4 and F2,0 and possibly a wide angle lens like a 10 or 12mm to shoot landscape and astro photography.
Currently I have the Samyang 12mm F/2,8 ED AS NCS fisheye with EF mount and I use it in combination with the RF adapter for my R5 camera. Results are good but of course this lens suffer about achromatic aberration....

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Hi, I am interested in precise and fast autofocus RF compatible lenses, if possible. Manual focus is tricky, time consuming and for example in very low light conditions hard to use.
I am interested also on very fast and bright lens with an aprture btww F/1,4 and F2,0 and possibly a wide angle lens like a 10 or 12mm to shoot landscape and astro photography.
Currently I have the Samyang 12mm F/2,8 ED AS NCS fisheye with EF mount and I use it in combination with the RF adapter for my R5 camera. Results are good but of course this lens suffer about achromatic aberration....

Hi! As of right now, there is only one wide angle RF autofocus prime, the Samyang/Rokinon AF 14mm/f2.8. There is also the RF 15-35/2.8 wide angle zoom. There is nothing wider available in autofocus, in RF mount, right now.

However, if you can find an autofocus lens you like in EF mount, you can probably use it on an RF body with the EF/RF adapter. Hope this helps - good luck and happy shooting.

Upvote 0
It's not just about autofocus performance with third party lenses. Stepless aperture (google Tamron video clicking noises), color rendering, bokeh rendering, corner quality, and build quality/durability are all factors to consider, where Canon L glass usually come out on top (there are exceptions of course).

But third party lenses excel in value that Canon can't touch for several reasons. First, they have economies of scale across systems. As others have mentioned, they aren't making a lens specific for the R system, that R lens is probably available on several other mounts. Second, they don't usually cater to the professional crowd, which demand levels of durability and serviceability that affect design and materials (see for example Roger Cicala's breakdown of the Canon 35L versus the Sigma Art 35). Not to say that third party build quality is poor, but as Roger shows, definitely not at the same level as Canon. And finally, they don't ensure compatibility with the endless body/lens/extender/flash/etc combos possible in the EOS system at the same level as Canon does, meaning less time spent on testing and compatibility.

The above doesn't exactly put third party in a positive light, but they might have a place depending on your needs. For example, if there is a focal range that is not used often, but still needs to be covered, third party can be a low cost option (someone earlier mentioned an ultra-wide prime for a few hundred dollars just to play with). Or maybe one prefers a high quality f/1.4 or f/1.8 prime that Canon doesn't make. Or maybe it is a niche focal range. Etc. Third party offers more choices at usually much lower prices, so I'd rather have more choices versus less choices. But they do have their place. If budget allows for it and it's a focal range used often, I will almost always go for the Canon L.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
In that interview, which partly can be read at DPREVIEW, the CEO of Sigma made a statement that needs to be thought about. He said that they will remain a photographic company producing lenses and cameras for “as long as possible.”

when you say that, you’re already thinking about the time when it won’t be possible. That’s a very negative statement, and I wonder if he realized it when he made it. Everything else in the interview needs to be tempered by that one statement.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Does not paint a good picture for aftermarket RF lenses with AF, they will need constant updates.

But I am fine with using adapted EF or Canon RF lenses, they work just fine, I don't see the point of buying into the RF system to use aftermarket glass when the whole point is to have that wider mount diameter with lenses specifically designed for it.
Mount diameter is the same for EF/RF.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I think without COVID, 2021 would have been the year for 3rd party RF support to hit full swing. Really, before last year the EOS R and RP were kind of middling, and canon appeared to be still fully committed to the DSLR with the release of a new flagship 1DXIII. The R5 and R6 then hit, and became the two top selling cameras. With now lots of traction on this mount, the 3rd party guys will be hot to get in on the sales. They see both the need and the profit margin - with canon's prices so high they can price higher but still be less than Canon, and get more profit per lens since those likely share at least some R&D cost with versions for other mounts.

The Sigma guy interview - I wouldn't read too much in to it. If the company is really fully committed to their current product line, and has an R&D pipeline full of new lenses for it, then they will be dinosaurs soon. They have to see the writing on the wall for the DSLR line, and if they really are committed to continuing to produce camera lenses 'as long as possible' then they will have RF mount lenses as part of that future. I read what he says as typical corporate speak. They aren't ready to talk about what they are going to release because they aren't ready to produce it, and they don't want to tip off the competition and get beat to market.

But this is obviously just my take, I don't have any inside info.

-Brian

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
I think without COVID, 2021 would have been the year for 3rd party RF support to hit full swing. Really, before last year the EOS R and RP were kind of middling, and canon appeared to be still fully committed to the DSLR with the release of a new flagship 1DXIII. The R5 and R6 then hit, and became the two top selling cameras. With now lots of traction on this mount, the 3rd party guys will be hot to get in on the sales. They see both the need and the profit margin - with canon's prices so high they can price higher but still be less than Canon, and get more profit per lens since those likely share at least some R&D cost with versions for other mounts.

The Sigma guy interview - I wouldn't read too much in to it. If the company is really fully committed to their current product line, and has an R&D pipeline full of new lenses for it, then they will be dinosaurs soon. They have to see the writing on the wall for the DSLR line, and if they really are committed to continuing to produce camera lenses 'as long as possible' then they will have RF mount lenses as part of that future. I read what he says as typical corporate speak. They aren't ready to talk about what they are going to release because they aren't ready to produce it, and they don't want to tip off the competition and get beat to market.

But this is obviously just my take, I don't have any inside info.

-Brian
Corporate speak is positive. It can also be confusing. But when a CEO makes that kind of statement, it’s something to consider. After all, he knows far more than we do about what’s going on. My contacts don’t say much about that.

Upvote 0
are the 3rd party lens using RF lens protocol or EF lens protocol?
There are limitation with EF tech. One example, RF interface has more data bandwidth which allows for more data i.e. OIS integration with IBIS etc. Canon surely has plans to further add features. if these lens are using EF tech, it may limit taking advantage of future R systems features.

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
In that interview, which partly can be read at DPREVIEW, the CEO of Sigma made a statement that needs to be thought about. He said that they will remain a photographic company producing lenses and cameras for “as long as possible.”

when you say that, you’re already thinking about the time when it won’t be possible. That’s a very negative statement, and I wonder if he realized it when he made it. Everything else in the interview needs to be tempered by that one statement.

Language issue? Perhaps he really meant to say that they are a photographic company and have no plans to change from that?

As opposed to Canon, who does many different things.

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
It looks like there's a new 85mm AUTOFOCUS-lens for RF-mount by Yongnuo (?):

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
I am hoping for a RF version of the Tamron 17-35 2.8-4 that will be more compact, otherwise the EF is still pretty good
That lens got a lot of hate when it was announced (17 not wide enough! Variable aperture DEAR GOD!), but I have to say I love it for the bang for the buck. Great price, weight, size and pretty good image quality.
I'd snap up an RF version in a heartbeat if they retained the price and made it a bit more compact again.

Upvote 0
That lens got a lot of hate when it was announced (17 not wide enough! Variable aperture DEAR GOD!), but I have to say I love it for the bang for the buck. Great price, weight, size and pretty good image quality.
I'd snap up an RF version in a heartbeat if they retained the price and made it a bit more compact again.
I love my 17-35 and have taken some of my favorite images with it. Perfect as a travel companion, but don’t drop it even a short distance. The filter thread is total weak sauce. If they do remake this lens for RF I hope they fix that. I would replace mine if they did.

Attachments

• E266521F-A158-4F49-8EAD-B6FA9B882C11.jpeg
    E266521F-A158-4F49-8EAD-B6FA9B882C11.jpeg
    643.3 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I love my 17-35 and have taken some of my favorite images with it. Perfect as a travel companion, but don’t drop it even a short distance. The filter thread is total weak sauce. If they do remake this lens for RF I hope they fix that. I would replace mine if they did.
Great photo!

Upvote 0

Nemorino

EOS R5
Aug 29, 2020
Yongnuo has released a AF lens, the YN85mm F1.8R DF DSM.

Afaik it is the first third party lens with a control ring:
Equipped with control ring, supports silent operation

Users can assign common functions such as aperture, shutter speed, ISO sensitivity, etc. to the control ring according to their needs. Rotating the control ring can quickly adjust the corresponding parameters, greatly improving operation convenience creative efficiency.
The lens is also designed with a "Click" switch: After Click is turned on, turning the control ring will have a clear sense of gear and a "click" sound; When the Click is turned off, turning the control ring will not make any noise,which is helpful during video recording.

Note: The control ring and manual focus ring are an integrated design, please set the switch to the corresponding position when using.

https://www.hkyongnuo.com/productinfo/621310.html

There is no shop selling the RF mount lens in Germany but the Sony version is 279€.

Last edited:
Upvote 0