Third-pary Grip. Safe?

I've joyfully used 3rd-party grips for 40-, 50-, and 7D for the longest time. I started with a canon grip on the 7D,but when the battery door failed I bought a polaroid branded one which added features: an intervalometer & remote control amongst them, at a fraction of the canon price, and it seems a lot sturdier, and has lasted me more than twice the life of the canon. I enjoyed similar results with the xxD grips.
HOWEVER:
I bought one for my 6D and quit using it after a couple of months. When I used it the camera exhibited various malfunctions including freezing (shutter not functioning on camera, turning itself off, shutter sticking, and not awakening from sleep mode. Missed several shots. It wasn't the 3rd party batteries which were marketed as chipped for 6D, as they have continued to work once I ditched the grip...

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Re: Third-party Grip. Safe?

Been using aftermarket grips since my 30D back in 2006 - no problems whatsoever, as long as I've stuck to better-known brands like Meike.

As to the risk of failure of the tripod mount: it can happen, but I routinely hang my Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS + 2x TC off my cameras, and avoid the stress of worrying about the tripod mount popping out, by not using it.

My strap of choice is the Op/Tech Sling Strap, and it comes with two mounting loops. I attach the upper one to the right-hand strap mount on the shoulder of the camera, and the lower one on the right hand strap mount of the grip, and it's bomb-proof.

This arrangement also lets the rig hang against my right hip in the most comfortable and safest way possible (lens pointing back and down), so it's win-win...

Upvote 0