Nov 7, 2013
Germany
My thoughts...
  • Canon RF 50 f/1.8 STM
    ==> Finally :love:
  • Canon RF 85mm f/2 Macro IS STM
    ==> Lovely :love:
  • Canon RF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
    ==> Good! (y)Interesing what barrel construction (telescope/fixed lenght)
  • Canon RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1L IS USM
    ==> Interesing, depending on IQ;)
  • Canon RF 600mm f/11 DO IS STM
    ==> Fascinating, depending on IQ :unsure:
  • Canon RF 800mm f/11 DO IS STM
    ==> Fascinating, depending on IQ :unsure:
  • Canon RF 1.4x
    ==> Can be combined with which lenses? :unsure:
  • Canon RF 2.0x
And what about the R6?
Size? Price? Pics? Better RP successor or R successor?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Why should Canon release a "100mm f/2.0 Macro" if they will release a "85mm f/2 Macro IS STM" ?
Suppose the 100mm f/2.0 Macro is a 1:1 and the 85mm f/2 Macro IS STM is a 1:2 like the RF35/F1.8.

Just give us a 150/180mm 2.8/3.5/4.0 Macro too =)
Time will tell...
Most popular lenses first.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
My thoughts...
  • Canon RF 1.4x
  • Canon RF 2.0x

So far the only one that's guaranteed is the RF 100-500.

It won't work with the RF 70-200 f/2.8, so it's unlikely the RF 70-200 f/4 will support extenders either.

The more interesting thing is whether the RF TCs will work with the RF-EF adaptor or not. I imagine probably not, but if they do that would open up more opportunities.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Last edited:
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I think people are vastly underestimating these STM DO lenses. Notice they're not even L series--they're basic STM.

My feeling about this is that these lenses are going to be far cheaper and far better in size than y'all anticipate. I wouldn't be surprised if they top out at $1000-1500 at most. That's a *huge* market that Canon can tap into versus a $12,000 lens, and I could even honestly see myself grabbing a cheap 800 f/11 to throw in a bag and forget about.

It's becoming more and more apparent that Canon is throwing away the lens design handbook of 40 years ago and is making whatever lens they want to make. For the new focus system, F/11 is basically the new F/5.6, and Canon would be stupid not to leverage creating a new cheap market of the longest, cheapest lenses. Think of how many people are perfectly content shooting F/5.6 or F/8 on a crop camera, which is almost definitely going to have more noise than this.

On a totally different note, I think that 85mm f/2 is in my future. Would be great having a 35 f1.8 and 85 f2 with the EOS R5 in a tiny shoulder bag when I'm not going somewhere just for photography.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
If true, it's interesting Canon is trying new things possible in mirrorless RF-mount world. As long as EF-lenses can still be used, it makes absolutely sense to make lenses of a kind never seen before. Interesting to see how big/heavy and "cheap" they will be.
Will they be popular lenses? Probably not even Canon knows for sure yet, but there's definitely potential to reach some new users who couldn't effort - or where not ready to carry the weight and size of - "similar" EF-lenses.

Well, technically, a compact RF 28mm f/2 is a lens that's "never been seen before."
Go for it Canon! Be bold!

Upvote 0
600 and 800 f/11 STM sounds like they will be a great addition for nature video work. Something I can carry into the field easily with length I could only get from a micro 4/3 setup in terms of size. Would be even better as say a 300-800 zoom DO but I haven't seen canon trying zooms with diffractive optics since the 70-300. Will be interesting to see if the focus breathing is noticeable since I would love to be able to let the lens use object tracking at least for larger subjects.

Upvote 0