This is the possible Canon RF mount camera roadmap [CR2]

pro R body:
32-40MP (or like Sony A9II successor) at 16 fps with shutter, 22 with electronic shutter
even 1 step better DR in low light
better battery performance, able to get 1000+ shots with one battery
next gen quad AF system and IBIS that can be easily activated and deactivated
4k120
2 cf express cards
built in wireless transmitter/receiver
bigger display

Upvote 0

Swerky

G1X Mark III
Sep 3, 2020
The RP replacement will be cheaper than the launching price of the RP but that doesn't mean that it will be lower end than the RP. How low can a camera get? I'm expecting software improvements and maybe a new sensor. Remaining things should be similar. As for a new body above the RP replacement and below the R6, that's what I'm interested in. An affordable EOS R with ibis. I just hope that Canon doesn't make it a habit to keep the top panel for high end models.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
A high resolution R5 is what I'm waiting for. The R5 seems a great camera but I'm still happy with my existing EF cameras.
What would tempt me is 90-100 MP camera with the processing power to deal with it.
If it could have dedicated viewfinder zoom button or someway to quickly increase the image size for wildlife photography would be great.
I'd be quite happy if the video capabilities were basic. 8K video is overkill for most people. Especially if it reduced the cost of it (it probably won't).

The specs of the R1 will be interesting. It's bound to be better than the 1DXIII but how good it can be will be interesting. It's sure to have more MP than the 1DXIII. (I've always felt the 1DXIII was a missed opportunity - a 30MP sensor would have been no issue to it.)
Something to look forward to anyway

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
"A second body above the EOS RP replacement"

Can't stop thinking about the EOS R Mark II type camera replacement. How about
- 32 MP (current RP has 24, R has 30MP)
- 8 fps mechanical shutter (full autofocus)
- 12 fps silent shutter
- maybe even IBIS
- 1-card slot (people will now hate me :p)

Canon would save costs on the card slot, no need to develop fps/ new autofocus. I further think they could include IBIS since other manufacturers are doing the same. They could save costs non IS-lense instead. But I'd see how Canon would only put IBIS into the R6 and other upscale cameras to protect their sales.

For an Amateur/ enthusiast this could be great value and guess Canon would start pricing it at 2.000 $ or maybe a bit less.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Just hope the APS-C model is every bit a 7D3 and doesn’t skimp on the features.

There is a HUGE market for a 7D3!!
I would probably buy the APS-C model if it's a 7D3 equivalent but I don't think the market is all that large. What I wonder is whether Canon could use the same basic architecture to develop something similar for the M-mount and how well such a camera would sell.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
The RP replacement will be cheaper than the launching price of the RP but that doesn't mean that it will be lower end than the RP. How low can a camera get? I'm expecting software improvements and maybe a new sensor. Remaining things should be similar. As for a new body above the RP replacement and below the R6, that's what I'm interested in. An affordable EOS R with ibis. I just hope that Canon doesn't make it a habit to keep the top panel for high end models.
I used an R6 for a weekend and shot a soccer game and some other minor stuff. I thought I'd miss the top LCD, but didn't. Not even one bit. The third dial, plus all the info available in the EVF/rear touch screen, plus a control ring and alternate button mapping using the m.fn button and everything is just right there to change in an instant. If you don't want to do it with your eye up to the screen, then its all just a few quick taps away on the rear LCD.

That doesn't mean you wont miss it, or that it would be nice to have another display. Just that in my use it was no hindrance at all to work without it.

-Brian

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
I think the R5s will be well before any APS-c body. That will test the water to see if "reach" or "frugality" is driving the 7d screech machine. The M5 really needs a replacement, and that is in some conflict with the APS-c R as described. I have an R5 and an M5 and I would buy the R5s and the M7 (or whatever), but not even consider an APS-c R.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
I would probably buy the APS-C model if it's a 7D3 equivalent but I don't think the market is all that large. What I wonder is whether could use the same basic architecture to develop something similar for the M-mount and how well such a camera would sell.
I think that is exactly the conundrum Canon is facing. The M line is popular and releasing an APS-c R would telegraph to many that the M line is history. To replace the M line with an APS-C R line would require several bodies and a bunch of new lenses and the result would still not be as portable as the M line. I really don't see Canon throwing away a large market segment to appease the relatively (note I said relatively) small number of 7D wannabes. It is a hard call, but I think we will see a 5Ds and an M5 II (or equivalent). I would note that there is no real competition from Nikon or Fuji in the 7D space, because the Z50 is really in the Rebel space and Fuji has no long glass. Canon has time to think this through (and to see if the R5s picks up a lot of the "reach" slack). I think a high res FF makes BIF easier due to the wider field of view and you give up nothing with respect to pixels on the target. The same could be said for sports with the possible need for an in-camera cropping tool to satisfy those who are shipping out photos immediately, although simply running the high res camera in crop mode may be suitable for sports, particularly if it allows for higher frame rate.

Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
RII would be awesome.... with the stuff from the R6! But with 30MP :S... but would be more expensive then the R6..damit!

a cheaper RP?! I love my RP.... only a more faster CPU and EVF + dial in the back. (+ 2nd cardslot) and the bigger battery?! ;)

So I will wait for the complete RF-body release in 2021! feels like back in the days before some years... :)

Upvote 0