Three New Tilt-Shift Lenses on the Way [CR2]

Mar 26, 2014
hendrik-sg said:
I Think the TS/E 17 is very close to the border what is doable, visible at the extreamly bulbous front element. one of it's worst flaws is the extreme vignetting when shifted, which is difficult to correct, because the Software can not know how much it was shifted. So when shifting it to the extremes, it is better stopped down to f8 to reduce vignetting and incresase sharpness.

I've read recently about a solution for this problem, which I haven't tried myself. Is anyone familiar with it?

Upvote 0
hendrik-sg said:
I Think the TS/E 17 is very close to the border what is doable, visible at the extreamly bulbous front element. one of it's worst flaws is the extreme vignetting when shifted, which is difficult to correct, because the Software can not know how much it was shifted. So when shifting it to the extremes, it is better stopped down to f8 to reduce vignetting and incresase sharpness.

One should be aware that whis it's huge Image circle it's a equivalent 11mm f2.5 lens for a crop factor 0.61 sensor size which is really extreme.

So i would be really surprised if there would be a 12-14mm TS/E lens, and if it would be a f5.6 or even slower lens.

I would not buy this one, because already the 17mm shifted lens gives very bad dDomain of Fisheye projections in my opinion, which can be changed by "Fisheye Hemi" to quite nice and less fishy looking projections.

The 8-15 fisheye gives nice possibilities for a relatively competitive price.

I see very little distortion on my 17mm when shifted - maybe I have a good copy (eventhough i never considered this common lens testing necessity on lens rumor internet forums)

as for vignetting again not a problem and if so - a slight curves adjustment layer can reverse the dark corners easily.

My only issue with the 17 and 24 is weird wavy sky color using circular polarizers but that's due to the polarizer, not the lens

Upvote 0
@ecqns

Of course you are right that the lens has almost no distortion. Despite this, objects Close to the corners get heavily distorted by the projection method (which is not a lens fault). But it somehow Limits the use of the lens and puts the use of a even wider TS Lens in question. Already with the (shifted) 17mm lens you better avoid faces close to the corners

Upvote 0
hendrik-sg said:
@ecqns

Of course you are right that the lens has almost no distortion. Despite this, objects Close to the corners get heavily distorted by the projection method (which is not a lens fault). But it somehow Limits the use of the lens and puts the use of a even wider TS Lens in question. Already with the (shifted) 17mm lens you better avoid faces close to the corners

Right so we basically agree the lens is pretty great as far as sharpness and distortion control. Any wide angle lens distorts objects on the edge of frame, has since forever. I either correct that distortion or crop a 3x2 frame to a more natural 4x3 ratio.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Antono Refa said:
rrcphoto said:
ecqns said:
As a an architectural photographer - more TS-E lenses please. I'd like something wider than the 17mm - whatever it would cost, I'd love to trade the 11-24 for it. Then a 35mm and a something like an 85-90mm. Architecture is one of the intended used for this series right?

use an EOS-M + EF shift adapter with your 11-24mm. you'll be stuck most likely with wide open, but that would work.

and be cheaper and smaller than the same as a T/S

Per B&H, the Canon EF 11-24mm costs $2,799 and the TS-E 17mm costs $2,149.

That's $600 more expensive, before taking into account the price of a shift adapter, and that a crop lens should be cheaper than a FF lens.

right?

and how much would a 11-24mm f/4 tilt shift cost? you obviously didn't follow that thinking through.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
rrcphoto said:
Antono Refa said:
rrcphoto said:
ecqns said:
As a an architectural photographer - more TS-E lenses please. I'd like something wider than the 17mm - whatever it would cost, I'd love to trade the 11-24 for it. Then a 35mm and a something like an 85-90mm. Architecture is one of the intended used for this series right?

use an EOS-M + EF shift adapter with your 11-24mm. you'll be stuck most likely with wide open, but that would work.

and be cheaper and smaller than the same as a T/S

Per B&H, the Canon EF 11-24mm costs $2,799 and the TS-E 17mm costs $2,149.

That's $600 more expensive, before taking into account the price of a shift adapter, and that a crop lens should be cheaper than a FF lens.

right?

and how much would a 11-24mm f/4 tilt shift cost? you obviously didn't follow that thinking through.

Did I mention "a 11-24mm f/4 tilt shift" anywhere? You obviously didn't follow what I wrote through.

Upvote 0