Timelapse of the Aurora in Finland

Thanks Sporgon. I think it would be very difficult to get movement of the stars and Aurora in the same timelapse, due to the large differences in relative movement. The Aurora (when it is a good one) is much faster moving than the stars, so it would appear manic if there was more obvious movement in the stars.

Upvote 0
well_dunno said:
Hi Kernuak,

Amazing... Also checked the images - great stuff...

in "Road Aurora" was it in part red or is it an illusion due to the main colour being lime?

Cheers!
There was red there, although the brightness of the green did mask it a little with the naked eye. As with all Aurora photos, the colours in the photos are brighter than with the naked eye, due to colour perception in the dark. However, unlike previous times I'd seen the Aurora, the colours were visible.

Upvote 0
Most notable damages that occur at those temps are with the lenses. The cold temps shrink the casings and bend the metal causing them to be out of spec at normal temps. Not always but it happens. Other issues are with cracked LCD screens. However if the camera is in use the entire time it can generate enough internal heat to keep it at or above 0C.

Just note that it's extremely dangerous to Canon equipment to expose to temps below 0C. It also voids the warranty. :(

Sometimes though it's worth the risk for shots like this, especially if you have an old rebel that you can afford to replace.

Kernuak said:
Thanks all. Settings were 24mm f/1.4, ISO 1600, 4 secs, in continuous. Some had Rebel-type cameras which coped without problems, despite -28.5 C. I think the shooting star type trails are probably satellites.

Upvote 0
East Wind Photography said:
Most notable damages that occur at those temps are with the lenses. The cold temps shrink the casings and bend the metal causing them to be out of spec at normal temps. Not always but it happens. Other issues are with cracked LCD screens. However if the camera is in use the entire time it can generate enough internal heat to keep it at or above 0C.

Just note that it's extremely dangerous to Canon equipment to expose to temps below 0C. It also voids the warranty. :(

Sometimes though it's worth the risk for shots like this, especially if you have an old rebel that you can afford to replace.

Kernuak said:
Thanks all. Settings were 24mm f/1.4, ISO 1600, 4 secs, in continuous. Some had Rebel-type cameras which coped without problems, despite -28.5 C. I think the shooting star type trails are probably satellites.
The first night out when it was only around -8, ice formed around the lens casing and tripod legs and touching any metal parts on the tripod was painful on all the nights. The owner of the company used a 5D MkIII, the same as me, but with a Zeiss 21mm, while I had the EF 24mm f/1.4 MkII, so I was pretty confident I shouldn't have any issues, but there can never be any guarantees.

Upvote 0
East Wind Photography said:
Other issues are with cracked LCD screens.

About the LCD screens. My experience is that the cold only makes them work "slower" especially those which are touchscreens. I've used outdoors at winter time different kind and sizes of LCD's over 15 years and never had any screen cracked from cold. Same about LCD's in my pocket or DSLR cameras over the years, no problems from cold weather.

And about the warranty issues if you use the Canon lenses in cold weather conditions. Here in Scandinavia it's expected that you use your equipment in very cold weather too. I haven't had any problems about the warranty when using my lenses in cold weather conditions.
Just week ago I got back my EF 70-200mm f/4 IS from Canon's service. The USM-motor was broken. And when I pick up the lens from the dealer I check all the functions of the lens in out side of the shop (it was -15'C then) before I accept the warranty repair of the lens. No problem with the dealer about my tests or warranty issues by the dealer nor Canon service. Even they know that I had used the lens in weather conditions from -30'C to +45'C. I get the normal 6 month warranty for the service work. So it extend my warranty because the original 2 year warranty was going to expire just after two weeks from the day I bring the lens for repair.
Of course I can tell only my experience's and maybe some countries it voids warranty.

If you take pictures in very cold weather it's a good idea to take a plastic bag with you. And before you go back inside the house put the gear in the plastic bag, close the bag and don't take the gear out of the bag until it's warmed up to room temperature. This is to prevent the formation of condensation on glass surfaces etc.

PS. Nice Aurora, thank's for sharing

Upvote 0