Torn on low light sports lens 85/135 RF

Hey everyone,

I am torn on either the rf85 1.2 or rf135 1.8 for my kids track meets to keep the iso down. Also my sons water polo games. Of course portraits of the kids too. I am curious if anyone has a recommendation. I own the 70-200 2.8 and that is just not enough light on some of these night meets. I am not a pro but will invest if the glass is worth it.
I shoot a lot of indoor ice hockey and always shoot with the 70-200, sometimes, the 100-500 depending on the rink and lighting. HOWEVER, I understand the dilemma. I recently shot a night skijouring comp under arena lighting and understand the need for a faster lens. I am impatiently waiting on the 135 but do have the 85mm1.2. Gorgeous lens. Beautiful portraits. I used it once for an indoor basketball game and the reach was lacking across the court. If your main goal is track comps and have the 70-200, I would definitely try to get the 135. IMHO

Upvote 0

AutoMatters

EOS R3
Dec 3, 2021
Hey everyone,

I am torn on either the rf85 1.2 or rf135 1.8 for my kids track meets to keep the iso down. Also my sons water polo games. Of course portraits of the kids too. I am curious if anyone has a recommendation. I own the 70-200 2.8 and that is just not enough light on some of these night meets. I am not a pro but will invest if the glass is worth it.
You may not need to buy another lens. I shoot action photos in low light a lot, with a much slower lens (RF 24-240) than your 70-200 f2.8. I use Topaz Labs DeNoise AI or Topaz Labs Photo AI as plug-ins to Adobe Lightroom Classic, which is how I edit my photos. Both pieces of software do an excellent job of getting rid of noise. They are easy to use. I shoot my photos with the Canon R3 in RAW format, to increase the amount that I can adjust the photos after shooting them. You can see my photography on my AutoMatters & More website at AutoMatters.net.
Jan

Upvote 0