TTArtisans launches the RF 500mm f/6.3

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Chinese manufacturer TTArtisan has launched a 500mm f/6.3 supertelephoto for the RF mount and others. The lens is manual focus, but looks to have good optical performance for certain types of photography. This is not a mirror lens, which is the usual design for inexpensive supertelephoto lenses. The best part? The TTArtisan 500mm f/6.3 comes

See full article...

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Manual focus? No way!
I recently tried to use my 560mm Telyt again. And quickly gave up.
Sensors are too demanding in terms of focus precision. And lack of OIS is a real trouble.
PS: it's an F 6,3 lens (written on the lens barrel), but the diaphragm ring says F 5,6...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Manual focus? No way!
I recently tried to use my 560mm Telyt again. And quickly gave up.
Sensors are too demanding in terms of focus precision. And lack of OIS is a real trouble.

It would just need a use case. If you're aiming it at the sky or a bird perch set up, you're probably on a tripod... there's really no need for autofocus. If you're shooting hand held with anything moving around, yeah it could be a difficult lens to use.

Reactions: 1 users

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
It would just need a use case. If you're aiming it at the sky or a bird perch set up, you're probably on a tripod... there's really no need for autofocus. If you're shooting hand held with anything moving around, yeah it could be a difficult lens to use.
OK.
But this would be a very limited use. And for a "few" hundred $ or Euros more you'd get a fully stabilized AF 600mm from Canon. Yes, only F 11.
Nevertheless, an optically convincing lens, certainly very good for astro, I guess.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Intriguing. As for subject separation, it would be a bit better than the 800 f/11, but only a bit - the physical aperture is only a little wider, and close focus is somewhat better.

A lack of AF would be tricky even with perched birds from a tripod imo; and IBIS won't be any help at that focal length for handheld shots. As for astro, with a good tracking mount any long lens can give good results, although low weight helps (an extreme example: I could never get my EF 500 f/4 to track because it was too heavy for the motors). But given how little you can get secondhand RF 600/800 f/11s now it's still a tough sell.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
For $329 you cannot expect too much! If this lens would have had electrical contacts for focus guides / peaking and cost a bit more I likely would make a purchase. I have tried full manual lenses on a R5 without focus guides and struggled to obtain sharp images.
With that said, as others have mentioned for deep sky astro work where one only needs manual focus at infinity this lens is almost a buy for only $329. I do not do astro work so not for me.

Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
This is a way for astrophotographers to get to 500mm on a simple star tracking mount, as opposed to a more complicated/expensive telescope mount. This thing weighs only 307 grams! I almost want one just to say I have it....

Brian
I too was shocked at the weight. My tracker can easily, easily handle that.
I'm guessing the main tube is plastic? Nope, it says metal. Real glass elements I hope? How on Earth did they manage to get the weight so low?

Upvote 0

cgc

Feb 9, 2016
On the official website the weight is 1.6kg. The MTF for 30 lp is only 0.5 and you have to stop down to f/11 to get up to 0.7.
Thanks.

I was shocked... in no way a front element with 82mm and 8 glass surfaces may weight 300 grams in a metal housing...

It is even more shocking that everybody out there seem was just marvelled :)

Upvote 0