Two ‘Big Whites’ coming for the RF mount in 2021 [CR2]

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
These aren't something I will ever pay for, but I'm still excited to see what they come up with. Seems like the RF lenses have all had noticeable improvements over the EF counterparts (one or more of IQ, size, weight). Lets see what they can do with the big ones!

Or maybe the haters will be proven right and it'll just be white versions of the f/11 lenses! lol. But nah, they'd be 7.1 to justify the premium cost. :ROFLMAO:

-Brian

Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
RF “Big White’s” sound awesome but sadly out of my league.

However realistically I do fancy a clean used EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L IS II USM for my R6 as a road back into sports photography, apparently the Mk II works well with the adapter. Used clean lenses are about 1500 so this to me is realistic, and gives a good range and reach.

I can understand why RF big whites will be a must when the R1 arrives for pro sports shooters

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
RF “Big White’s” sound awesome but sadly out of my league.

However realistically I do fancy a clean used EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L IS II USM for my R6 as a road back into sports photography, apparently the Mk II works well with the adapter. Used clean lenses are about 1500 so this to me is realistic, and gives a good range and reach.

I can understand why RF big whites will be a must when the R1 arrives for pro sports shooters
Not with that attitude, bro...

Haha. All kidding aside, I have the EF 100-400/4.5-5.6Lii and the IS is amazing when paired the R5. The only real benefit of the RF100-500 is the extra 100mm of reach over its EF cousin.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Does anyone have an idea what the max. magnification of the RF 300mm f2.8 L might be? I've never had anything close to a "big white" before, but would consider this lens if it gave me beautiful close-up shots as well as far-away shots (I'm not a professional and don't cover sports events).

FWIW, if you're looking for a macro lens, my advice is to buy a macro lens. The RF 85/2 has macro capability and costs a fraction of what an RF 300/2.8 might cost. If you do need both beautiful close and distant images, the RF 100-500 is available right now and reportedly has good close-focus capability (below)rockwell 100-500.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

HenWin

CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
This is great news but I hope Canon has the manufacturing/assembly capacity needed to add a 3rd new R family camera. They are struggling right now to get R5/R6s delivered to their retail partners. I have been waiting 2 months for my R5 and I am sure there are others that have been waiting longer than that.
Eventually the pandemic is going to end, and a lot of things should return to a more "normal" (read "pre-pandemic") situation. That will include manufacturing.

Upvote 0
Not sure I would have need for a 300 f2.8 but I am sure there are plenty that would. Something 500 mm or longer and fast f4.0 would encourage me to buy. I have the 100-500 but it is slow with extenders at 500mm.

I would like something significantly lighter than the 600 mm f 4.0 L vII (which is my long lens today). If that happens as a DO or something lighter than the vIII then I am all in. IT would take extenders, still be fast for BIF and could be used without constantly being docked on a gimbal head for me. I hate hand holding the vII today as it is unbalanced and heavy. If something like that doesn't come along I will probably buy the 400mm f2.8 vII as everyone has been raving about that lens.

I would ditch my 600 mm vII and 100-400mm for this option in a heartbeat.

Bob

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
FWIW, if you're looking for a macro lens, my advice is to buy a macro lens. The RF 85/2 has macro capability and costs a fraction of what an RF 300/2.8 might cost. If you do need both beautiful close and distant images, the RF 100-500 is available right now and reportedly has good close-focus capability (below)View attachment 193134
Thanks, Navastonia. But I already have a RF 100-500 on order (whenever it gets here) and I know that it will take very nice reasonably high-magnification shots with a smooth background due to the long tele compression of the background.

I prefer long telephoto high magnification photos to short mm 1:1 macro shots for the way the image looks and how it still smooths the background, and for the longer distance to the subject for ease of shooting and not scaring away insects. That's just my preference. That's why I'm wondering what the magnification might be expected to be for the RF 300mm f2.8 L. I might find that it's my favorite lens to use for beautiful flower photos, as well as for far telephoto shots.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
This is great news but I hope Canon has the manufacturing/assembly capacity needed to add a 3rd new R family camera. They are struggling right now to get R5/R6s delivered to their retail partners. I have been waiting 2 months for my R5 and I am sure there are others that have been waiting longer than that.
Mostly due to decreased personel on shifts all along the distribution chain. Covid -19 protocols

Upvote 0
Where did you preorder order from? I had mine on preorder and got it in a week.

Upvote 0