Two more EOS R bodies are coming in 2021 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have been told that Canon’s roadmap shows two more EOS R bodies are to be announced and released in 2021.
Both of the cameras were given “internal names”, with no mention of specifications or where the cameras would sit in the lineup.
If you look at it logically, there are probably 3 possibilities for the three cameras.
Since there won’t be a direct EOS R replacement (EOS R6 will likely take its place), we can rule out that as a possibility.
The EOS RP could get a replacement, a new low-cost EOS R body. Perhaps an “EOS R9”.
We all expect a Canon EOS R1 to be coming down the pipeline, but with how the EOS R5 is looking, I could see such a body being pushed further into the future.
A high-megapixel version of the EOS R5, perhaps an EOS R5s or EOS R3 seems extremely likely. A studio and landscape version of the EOS R5 seems like a no-brainer for stills photographers.
More to come soon on this…

Continue reading...

Last edited:

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
R5s/R3 would be extremely welcome to hear, and I guess we have many months to come of whispers & hints for it. R1 might be more for professionals or those that like a larger body with embedded lower grip (which I don't). The main question for me will occur when the R5 is available to preorder/order, since there may be a higher MP option to wonder about.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

This is great news.
An R6 with 36 MP sensor range would be perfect.
Does not need the hyper speed or 8K but all the AF features included (In fact every R should have that as standard).
Cost: $1,400.00
Just a good solid performer. like the FTb was.
Then a very inexpensive R in the $800.00 range with the AF features and 4K but again all the extra bells and whistles removed.
All MUST have full wireless connectivity though as Canon just showed.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
but with how the EOS R5 is looking, I could see such a body being pushed further into the future.

But Sony won't stand still, they are unlikely to abandon the market so will be also releasing a R5 competitor soon.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
But Sony won't stand still, they are unlikely to abandon the market so will be also releasing a R5 competitor soon.

Sure, but will it bring tech that is so ahead of the R5 that it warrants a switch to E-Mount? I think Sony messed up with the E-mount.. it’s too small to allow for effective IBIS.. they just won’t admit it. Don’t hold your breath for R5 crushing specs from Sony.... you might be disappointed.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
An R1 is not going to come this year. An RP replacement is much, much more likely. The R and RP were always going to be just about getting something to market while continuing to develop the real deals. I wouldn't be surprised if Canon is going to try to get a sub-1k FF camera on the market

Last edited:
Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
R5s/R3 would be extremely welcome to hear, and I guess we have many months to come of whispers & hints for it. R1 would be great, but the price may be a bit more than many, including me, find easy to justify. The main question will occur when the R5 is available to preorder/order, since there may be a higher MP option to wonder about.

$6000-7000 is a good price range i think. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
This is great news.
An R6 with 36 MP sensor range would be perfect.
Does not need the hyper speed or 8K but all the AF features included (In fact every R should have that as standard).
Cost: $1,400.00 $1999
Just a good solid performer. like the FTb was.
Then a very inexpensive R in the $800.00 range with the AF features and 4K but again all the extra bells and whistles removed.
All MUST have full wireless connectivity though as Canon just showed.

FTFY. Anything above 24mp and I'd expect the price to be around the $2000 price bracket. Given it's Canon, probably another couple hundred dollars above that.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
R1 and R5s

Agreed.

we're going to differ from Craig, and as we suggested in our article on this .. a R1 and an R5s would be the most likely.

Canon got a blessing in disguise from all the nightmares of 2020 - the Olympics moved to 2021.

The R5, while a completely capable body does not have the interconnects and also the ergonomics of a true professional canon camera.

This is an opportunity for Canon - I doubt very much that with another year to the Olympics that they still won't have a sports camera for the games and that they allow Sony to have the only mirrorless sports camera there. (yes I know you can flip up the mirror on the 1DX Mark III.. but it doesn't have a viewfinder then)

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Koch,

I think there is a lot of speculation on whether there will even be another 5D body. Or if mirrorless is just the future. We'll see.

For one of these bodies, could it be the long anticipated 7d successor equivalent? I'm not sure what that would even look like. Something with high speed shutter and increased pixel density, perhaps sacrificing some video features.

-Brian

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
R3/R5s is what I would like to see. R5 is awesome, no question, but as a still photographer, I just don't need all that 8K video functions, and you bet the R5 will price that in. So instead of paying for something I don't need, I'd much rather throw my money towards a high pixel count, because that's a function that I'd actually use.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I’m really excited about the R5, but I only really shoot photos, so an R5s or something of that nature being on the roadmap would definitely make me stop and think about waiting for that to drop. But it would have to have competitive dynamic range, IBIS an equivalent autofocus system to what the R5 is promising for me to really buy in. Maybe I’m just getting lazy but I think AF is a major part of the mirrorless value proposition. Super high resolution is great, but if you don’t nail focus then it’s wasted. Fingers crossed that Canon has finally retired the cripple hammer.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0