EOS RP
Aug 19, 2020
Taken from the Dpreview, janskr user, to give a credit:

From the bottom plates:
R = DS126721
RP = DS126751
R6 = DS126832
R5 = DS126836
R? = DS126834 (certification reported yesterday by Nokishita).

Maybe it is an APS-C R7 or RII?

Hopefully an R2, it's been almost 2 years since its release, could be up for a refresh. Hoping for joystick instead of touch bar, IBIS, 4k in 24p and 30p at least, better battery life and processor.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

dppaskewitz

CR Pro
Jul 19, 2011
Nah, they finally realized that if they are going to make a high end M camera (M5 Mk II), they need to take it out of the Power Shot series. One of these is the fabled M5 Mk II. I'll preorder. Never done that before. I usually wait until I can get my cameras and lenses from the Canon refurb store. The other is the new M7 to replace the 7DII. These will be announced at the same time, along with the adapter so you can use your wonderful RF glass on them. Oh, and for those of us who like going small, a decent M 15 to 65 f/4 zoom. Let's throw in M 53 and 63 macros. Now, we're dreaming.............. :sleep::eek:

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
R5s pretty pretty please!

Far too soon. You won't be seeing anything else that's going to be reducing R5 production capacity. It has to be something else that comes out of one of their other factories, so a Rebel makes sense (even if there seems little point to mere mortals in launching a new low end DSLR at this point)

Probably an EOS 2000D/4000D replacement/upgrade

Also let's not forget that any higher megapixel version of the R5 would require another all-new full frame sensor to be developed. I highly doubt we'll see that for several years.

Upvote 0
Also let's not forget that any higher megapixel version of the R5 would require another all-new full frame sensor to be developed. I highly doubt we'll see that for several years.
I agree that the body isn't likely coming any time soon, but I don't know about years away. You're absolutely right that a new sensor development takes a lot of time, but we've seen rumours here for a while that several higher resolution sensors were already in testing. Before we had rumours of the R5 specifically, the rumours were the high resolution body was coming before the 5D equivalent. I half wonder if the priority shifted to the R5 and a high resolution body may come some time in 2021 having already been largely developed and just delayed in order to give the R5 the time it deserves in the forefront.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
While I would hope it would be the R5s (higher res version), I agree that it probably isn't since it's too soon to announce it (but I do think it will be announced in 2021).

There have been a lot of possibilities mentioned which are probably spot-on, but there is one that it's possible to be which wasn't mentioned yet: A direct competitor to the new A7s3 - meaning a low (12?)MP FF sensor and everything aimed at the best 4K (or other lesser modes) with no overheating or time limits at a slightly lower price than the R6. This would sell VERY well.

Upvote 0
While I would hope it would be the R5s (higher res version), I agree that it probably isn't since it's too soon to announce it (but I do think it will be announced in 2021).

There have been a lot of possibilities mentioned which are probably spot-on, but there is one that it's possible to be which wasn't mentioned yet: A direct competitor to the new A7s3 - meaning a low (12?)MP FF sensor and everything aimed at the best 4K (or other lesser modes) with no overheating or time limits at a slightly lower price than the R6. This would sell VERY well.
I kind of don't think Canon is going to go the route of a direct a7siii competitor in a stills body. I think the low(ish)-cost, small size R cinema cameras rumoured will be the competitor to the a7siii. We've had lots of discussion on the perception that Canon holds back video in stills bodies to protect the cinema line (whether that's true or not isn't relevant to this line of thinking though), but the reality is cinema cameras are designed the way they are because that design has advantages for video.

I suspect Canon wants to get those more video-centric hybrid shooters to try a dedicated video camera and show the advantages of a dedicated video body. I mean, the rumoured R cinema cameras undercut the current cinema line prices by quite a bit, and apparently get a lot smaller - closer to a dedicated stills body size/price. If the price-point is in the right neighbourhood and the size is comparable, I think you could find some more video-focused people cross shopping those R cinema cameras. But then again, I've been wrong before!

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I kind of don't think Canon is going to go the route of a direct a7siii competitor in a stills body. I think the low(ish)-cost, small size R cinema cameras rumoured will be the competitor to the a7siii. We've had lots of discussion on the perception that Canon holds back video in stills bodies to protect the cinema line (whether that's true or not isn't relevant to this line of thinking though), but the reality is cinema cameras are designed the way they are because that design has advantages for video.

I suspect Canon wants to get those more video-centric hybrid shooters to try a dedicated video camera and show the advantages of a dedicated video body. I mean, the rumoured R cinema cameras undercut the current cinema line prices by quite a bit, and apparently get a lot smaller - closer to a dedicated stills body size/price. If the price-point is in the right neighbourhood and the size is comparable, I think you could find some more video-focused people cross shopping those R cinema cameras. But then again, I've been wrong before!
You have a good point. What if they had a cinema camera at a low enough price to outperform and undercut the A7s3 while having all the advantages of a true cinema camera instead of a faux cinema camera in a stills body? That would indeed be the best choice. They could use the existing cinema mount or they could use the R mount. I don't know anything about the cinema line to know which would be the better mount for such a product.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
That’s the R6, basically. The price difference isn’t that far between the R and R6, right?
That is not the R6. The R6 is only 20-21 mega pixels. The R has 30 mega pixels. R6 is selling at $2,499. The R is selling at $1,799. $700 difference. That's big. The R video specs are also not as high as the R6, which I am fine with.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Come on Canon do something bleeding edge.... Twin Lens Reflex with IBIS.... Take my money :eek:

Or how about an ILC with a shutter button and no other physical photographic controls other than a back that's just one big touch screen. :unsure:

With tap to shoot who needs the shutter button?

More seriously, I'd absolutely HATE this.

Upvote 0
Hopefully an R2, it's been almost 2 years since its release, could be up for a refresh. Hoping for joystick instead of touch bar, IBIS, 4k in 24p and 30p at least, better battery life and processor.

But - R2, along with IBIS, something like 30mpx, solid 4K could kill off the sales of R5. Imagine 5DIV users - at least I was not necessarily needing 45mpx, 30mpx would be fine. I don't necessarily even need more than 4K/30 or 60 video. But I need dual card slot. If such R2 would appear, for many ppl, there would be no reason to go R5.

Upvote 0