Two new EOS M camera bodies coming in the second half of 2020 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have been told that Canon will address the EOS M lineup in the second half of 2020. The Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 will be the first to get announced and begin shipping before an EOS M camera announcement.
A Canon EOS M50 Mark II would make sense, but the second EOS M camera remains a bit of a mystery.
I am also told that Canon will be announcing more prime lenses for the EOS M mount in the second half of 2020 as well.
Please take into consideration that these plans may be affected by the current global pandemic.
More to come…

Continue reading...

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I can't think of a feature that would make me switch away from an M6II to a new M so soon. IBIS and proper 5GHz wifi would be nice, but not enough.

Why should you? The M6II less than a year old product :D Canon itself definitely does not expect people to switch bodies like underwear.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Why should you? The M6II less than a year old product :D Canon itself definitely does not expect people to switch bodies like underwear.

Exactly! It's less than a year old and only slightly less than €1000. It would be a good moment to sell it, but it does what I need and does it well.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I can't think of a feature that would make me switch away from an M6II to a new M so soon. IBIS and proper 5GHz wifi would be nice, but not enough.

Maybe the ability to have an eye level viewfinder and control external flashes at the same time? Canon really dropped the ball on that one. If they were going to combine the M5 and M6 lines, they should have made it the M5 Mark II and included a built-in EVF so that the hot shoe could be reserved for what it is intended.

That's why many did not even consider buying an M6 Mark II.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I have the M5. Is the AF in the M6II a significant upgrade?

Yes. It's as revolutionary as the difference between the AF for the 5D Mark II and the 5D Mark III. But you give up the built-in EVF and must use an external EVF mounted on the hot shoe.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Maybe the ability to have an eye level viewfinder and control external flashes at the same time? Canon really dropped the ball on that one. If they were going to combine the M5 and M6 lines, they should have made it the M5 Mark II and included a built-in EVF so that the hot shoe could be reserved for what it is intended.

That's why many did not even consider buying an M6 Mark II.

No, I really wanted an M like the original M, without EVF. I hate the EVF on the M50, good riddance! The solitary bees emerged this weekend and I did notice that I very much want the tilty-flippy screen back, the M6II screen articulation is only useful if you like photographing nose hair.

If I really need and EVF+flash I use the RP, which I do like. Same screen as the M50, but much better optics in front of it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I dont realy understand why the M series is still necessary with the R. The RP is allready super small and could get cheaper in the near future. Why not replace any M camera with a RP?

Or they could build a RF camera with an APS-C Sensor... Shouldnt it be super easy to build small APS-C lenses for the R mount? So this could easily replace the M. Whats the necessary of this series?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I dont realy understand why the M series is still necessary with the R. The RP is allready super small and could get cheaper in the near future. Why not replace any M camera with a RP?

Or they could build a RF camera with an APS-C Sensor... Shouldnt it be super easy to build small APS-C lenses for the R mount? So this could easily replace the M. Whats the necessary of this series?

The RP body alone is still a lot bigger than an M6II, it only gets worse if you attach lenses. You can almost pack two M+32mm in the space of on RP+50STM.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Overall, bringing IBIS to the M lineup in a higher end body and a mid-level body would make a lot of sense to me. Also, as noted, the higher end body could have a built in EVF. You can call it a M5II, but it could also be a M1.

Canon is showing some signs of taking the M lineup seriously. Anyone that owns the M6 II knows it is actually a very capable little camera. Rumors are that they are adding lenses. A couple could be higher end.

Sometimes it is easiest to define yourself against the competition. For the M, think micro 4/3s, many of the smaller APS-C set ups.

Plus, because of the M mount size vs the size of the R, the M lineup will always be able to be smaller than the R. Then, include the fact that Canon has always done a good job of providing a product at each price point, the M allows them to dip into those lower price points, both with lenses and bodies.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

PeterT

EOS 80D
Jan 19, 2017
I don't really understand why the M series is still necessary with the R. The RP is already super small and could get cheaper in the near future. Why not replace any M camera with a RP?
Some people prefer small bodies and small, but capable enough, lenses (and some others prefer big bodies and can withstand big lenses because of their advantages). And for them the RP is definitely not "super small".
Just look at this Camerasize comparison:
https://j.mp/2XjPh6y
The RP kit on that picture is 40% heavier.

Or they could build a RF camera with an APS-C Sensor...
Of course it could be made. But it seems that Canon does not want to do it. And even if they did it then the lenses would not be as small as M lenses because of the bigger mount. And the APS-C R bodies and lenses would be considered "entry level", "cheap", "for those who never buy a second lens" etc. like it is now with Canon's APS/C DSLRs (e.g. there are no good wide angle primes at all). So I would not expect a nice 12mm or 15mm f/2 primes for the APS-C R, And maybe also no IBIS (like Nikon did with its Z50). Etc.
Keeping M as a different line would allow to make its top model (hopefully M-5II) really top - including IBIS and many other features. And produce good lenses, too.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
An M5-II with the pop-up EVF from the latest patent please... And throw in IBIS too if it's not too much bother.
Yes ... as "hi end" option. And Canon: please name it EOS M7, in order to stop the whimpering for an EOS R with APS-C sensor.
For me a "mid-level" option please: M50 Mk. II with pop-up EVF, M6 II sensor + AF, IBIS and same price tag as M50. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0