Two new EOS M cameras rumoured to be coming in 2020 [CR1]

Sep 10, 2016
If Canon isn’t planning on making any M lenses to obtain the best results from the 32 MP sensor in the M series in particular, I don’t understand why they bothered to install it in the M6II.

i am a Canon FF user, but would consider the M6II if they had lenses to get the best results from the 32MP sensor without looking for third party lenses. If they do not care to expand the M series with lenses to go with the higher MP sensor, I guess that its all just marketing.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If Canon isn’t planning on making any M lenses to obtain the best results from the 32 MP sensor in the M series in particular, I don’t understand why they bothered to install it in the M6II.

i am a Canon FF user, but would consider the M6II if they had lenses to get the best results from the 32MP sensor without looking for third party lenses. If they do not care to expand the M series with lenses to go with the higher MP sensor, I guess that its all just marketing.

I still dont quite understand this thought. The M6 II works perfectly with EF and EF-S with the adapter - the adapter isn't large and you don't have to get the big heavy EF glass...? There's good quality smaller and lighter that is very available. L style quality still gonna be big and heavy no matter the mount size too so... why not just use EF or EF-S?

Also there is simply zero performance minuses with the adapter. Autofocus still fast as native.

It really is a great camera. Just get the adapter and enjoy

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The element profiles of the Sigma lenses is just recycled DSLR typical: large objective lens with a train of smaller elements behind.
What are you saying here? That these 3 Sigma lenses that came out for Ef-m are DSLR Designs? In that case, could you please link me to the EF version of the 16mm 1.4 because I would love to have that lens on my 80D to replace the Samyang 16mm 2.0.

Unfortunately for me these lenses are specially designed for mirrorless, taking advantage of the lower flange distance to bring of the fastest 16mm lens available... Just, only available for mirrorless. Having that available for the M system is definitely a bonus for that system.

In any case, I think you look into these lenses a bit more before writing about them. Yes, there were available in other mirrorless mounts before coming to EF-M and they don't follow Canon 62mm diameter law, but they are certainly nice lenses.

Upvote 0
I still dont quite understand this thought. The M6 II works perfectly with EF and EF-S with the adapter - the adapter isn't large and you don't have to get the big heavy EF glass...? There's good quality smaller and lighter that is very available. L style quality still gonna be big and heavy no matter the mount size too so... why not just use EF or EF-S?

Also there is simply zero performance minuses with the adapter. Autofocus still fast as native.

too many bodies, too few lenses

bodies come and go as resolution increases or AF improves or whatever else

a good lens is forever (almost) and can keep people in the system upgrading the bodies

Upvote 0
I thought long and hard about buying and M50. Biggest problem is lack of native lenses. M series is so small that ef/es lenses are too large to use with it by adapter. I purchased a Canon RP full frame. Very happy with its performance and size. My canon prime lenses -50 and 85- work beautifully with adapter and I purchased an inexpensive RF 35 mm 1.8 IS native lens. All the other new RF lenses are heavy and expensive fast primes f 1.2 glass which IMO is gouging the market. Hopefully Canon will eventually produce a series of RF primes with an aperture of 1.8 or 2.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017

For any lens, 32mp is going to give you better results than 24mp.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016

The whole idea of M is small bodies. Small bodies should have small lenses. If I am going to use L glass its going to be on FF to get the best results. Thats just me.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I’m not a big fan of the new M6 II surely it should have had a twisty screen like the M50. It’s a shame there will be no M5 II. I like my M5 with its built in EVF but would have liked to see an update with M50 type twisty screen but with M5 resolution and better AF. I will keep my M5 for now, it’s a fun holiday snapper / general purpose camera and lives in my camera bag as a backup. I just don’t see the M6 II as an update or replacement to the M5 maybe the M50II / M60 will be that camera in 2020 if it happens.
M50 with twisty screen and EVF is a joy to use - just give it one or more control rings and full sensor 4k with DPAF (120 fps FullHD and maybe 240 fps HD) and maybe a 3-stop simple IBIS and let it be 1000 bucks and it would be a perfect allrounder for me. Compact, not too expensive, bright IQ with EF-M 32, EF 70 200 f/4 L IS and both non-IS macros (EF-S and EF) ...

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I have to say this; there is no way Canon will not release a M5 Mk II. To believe that is to believe that Canon will not take the M6II sensor, add a EVF and maybe change the buttons a bit an release another camera. They will. Will they call it the M5II or M4 or... who knows. But based on Canon's penchant for segmentation, I believe that an M5 replacement will be release in a year or 2. Likely, it's because of dropping camera sales that Canon is not pushing out so many new models at the same time but spacing them out over time.

• Haha
Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
Even though as consumers we would like to continue to have a medium-to-large lineup of camera bodies, in a seriously shrinking market Canon has to decide where to spend a shrinking pool of money to develop and manufacture new bodies. Hence I believe one of the reasons that they decided to try and bridge the gap with the EOS 90D; the gap between their APS-C XXD and XD series.

When a large group of consumers (probably a fair number of Pros, Semi-pros, and serious wildlife 'hobbyists') dearly wanted a 7D Mk III and others were wanting to move up in capabilities from the Rebel line but didn't want to have to replace all their EF-S glass then a replacement for the 80D would be the logical choice.

Canon is in a tough spot (all the camera manufacturers are) in trying to decide what lines will continue and which will go the way of the Dodo bird. I can't see their end game and don't know how much their R&D (for Camera and Lens development) budget has shrunk and will continue to shrink. But it seems to me that they perhaps realized a little late that they needed to get in the FF mirrorless game. And so devoted some hefty resources to that development at the expense of a 7D Mk III. I don't have any way of knowing, but I think within Canon they had to make the hard decision to either move forward with the XXD line or the 7D line. They looked at the sales numbers combined with market research and realized if they could only move forward with one of those models at this time that it should be the 90D. So they upgraded the frame-rate, the autofocusing, and a few other areas - more than they would have than if they were just replacing the 80D/77D.

I am waiting for them to make a quite refined, super-high-frame-rate APS-C mirrorless, with IBIS, a rugged build, and killer tracking focus. And a host of other features that one would expect in a wildlife/sports/action camera. Basically a mirrorless 7D Mk III - an EOS R7? Or 7R? ...? But we'll have to wait as Canon determines the market receptivity to the offerings they are already slated to launch.

Upvote 0