Two new EOS R bodies coming in the first half of 2020 [CR3]

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I think their sales results are putting a serious pressure on the company.

They might be obliged to change their classical approach and be more agile on the market.

except existing R users will not take Canon very seriously and maybe future buyers too if the gap between releases is very small. Why the R II and not the R III ? ohh wait the R IV will be fantastic!

Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
I guess, but could you better prognosticate a spec list, release timeline or FF mirrorless segmentation plan off of those comments?

As written, that just seemed like 'We will have new things that hopefully will address your impossible expectations. I shall smile now in a reassuring manner. All is fine.'

I didn't hear a huge tell in there. It's not like they confirmed IBIS, talked about releasing EF and RF bodies side by side, pricing, new features, etc.

- A

Your comment could be very true, only future will confirm.

In order to summarize the real information I learnt was:

1. Launch of one pro DSLR in 2020 because it is the only way for Canon to offer a serious burst rate for professional sport photographer. As said I was told a mirrorless body can not offer such burst rate? Why? I don't know nor understand...
  2. There will be a mirrorless body that will be oriented into video and should cover most of your discussed need around a Canon version of the GH5.
So yes, you are correct this is not a lot of information but enough for me to wait and see.

Was it only a polite answer as you say or as "Adelino" says... maybe.
Future will tell and from this CR3 announcement before end of June 2020!

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
The wants (or “needs”) I have for a EOS R may be different to some others here- but bear with me – because: a) I believe there’s logic to what I’d like and b) there are likely others with identical to similar wants/needs in a new camera body.
  • I would love enough resolution to be able to crop – particularly with quality lenses. 36-60mp is a very wide range, but I’d love something in that range.
  • AF (speed, accuracy, consistency, practical flexibility) is very important to me. I only use MF for certain subjects (e.g. still macros).
  • A frame rate of around 8 would be ok, but 12 would be ideal, and anything higher would be super sweet. (I do realise the trade-off between MP and FPS). Most importantly at whatever max FPS, it needs to have accurate, servo AF and quickly updating AE.
  • Image quality – in terms of dynamic range (DR) and colour science, etc - similar to the 5DIV / 80D sensors would be great. I get a lot of good mileage out of my 80D and M5 (identical sensors in terms of IQ). No banding or other weird IQ issues please.
  • An EVF that’s a step up from the EOS R. My M5 EVF is notably lower quality than the EOS R. (The M5’s EVF has harsh colours and it doesn’t handle a scene with a wide dynamic range well. The EOS R’s is better on both counts, as well as being higher resolution).
  • IBIS would be a wonderful treat, specifically for certain lenses I own that don’t have IS. While I use a tripod for specific photo shooting situations, where I can avoid needing a tripod wherever possible, that’s a bonus.
  • Video is not so important to me, I occasionally take some video (mainly of my toddler daughter doing cute things, e.g. learning to ride a bike, singing songs, etc) – but 95% of my “imagery passion” is still photography.

Some (friendly) comments from across the Tasman.
I suggest you spend some time with an EOS R. In relation to your wishes:
- Currently 30MP, so not far from your range.
- With the firmware update, AF is very good.
- I think framerate can be overhyped by non-sports or wildlife photographers. The EOS R can do 8fps (albeit without AF).
- Image quality is as good (if not slightly better) than 5DIV (see my post on the R upgrade thread).
- If you set the default jpg picture style to "neutral" or similar, you have a less contrasty image in the EVF. The EVF was one thing that delayed me getting the R, but I am now largely used to it.
- IBIS would be nice
- Video is potentially an issue if you need uncropped 4k.

I think that the R is a surprisngly good camera - this realisation comes after a couple of months of ownership. And a reasonable price now. Who knows what the new versions will deliver and what they will cost.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Is anyone using the R even if it uncomfortable to them? My 5D3 with L plate and handstrap are like a 2nd skin to me. That's the feeling I'm looking towards. I get the same feeling from the EOS 3 and the 7D series. Sony's felt like a toy, Oly's felt like a toy with a worse EVF. Fuji's are alright, I could see having an X100F for kicks. (3rd body)

I'm not one of those 'you'll get used to it' people. I know from the getgo. It's like car shopping and when you sit in the drivers seat it jus t clicks and there's no blind spots.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Is anyone using the R even if it uncomfortable to them? My 5D3 with L plate and handstrap are like a 2nd skin to me. That's the feeling I'm looking towards. I get the same feeling from the EOS 3 and the 7D series. Sony's felt like a toy, Oly's felt like a toy with a worse EVF. Fuji's are alright, I could see having an X100F for kicks. (3rd body)

I'm not one of those 'you'll get used to it' people. I know from the getgo. It's like car shopping and when you sit in the drivers seat it jus t clicks and there's no blind spots.
5DIV is more comfortable to use than the EOS R. It's almost the same with 5DsR and 7DII. It has an advantage.
My main concern is the lack of buttons. I have made customizations but the camera is still a little uncomfortable to use in relation to Canon DSLRs. But since it will not be used for birding and action photography and it gives me 2.8 L IS wide angle and normal zooms I can bear with it.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I guess, but could you better prognosticate a spec list, release timeline or FF mirrorless segmentation plan off of those comments?

As written, that just seemed like 'We will have new things that hopefully will address your impossible expectations. I shall smile now in a reassuring manner. All is fine.'

I didn't hear a huge tell in there. It's not like they confirmed IBIS, talked about releasing EF and RF bodies side by side, pricing, new features, etc.

- A
Not off those comments. However, we are all the time getting "rumors" from people saying they talked to a Canon rep or engineer who told them something that never comes to fruition. So I put just as much faith in such "conversations" as a kid on a tricycle. For some reason people want to "quote" reps they had conversations with that obviously never happened. The conversation with the OP probably did happen. At the same time you know as well as I that people on here give out infor that was supposedly given them with a wink and a nod.

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
+100000000000000

I agree 100%. Digital photography is immensely more revolutionary to film that mirrorless cameras are to DSLRs.
It's the final photo that counts and in the digital era the result is the same irrespective of whether a mirror exists or not.

Mirrorless is probably like AF or IS. Maybe both. Important leaps that become ubiquitous and essential.

The profound difference is that for the first time the photographers sees what the sensor is seeing.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Nov 6, 2019

I’m much more comfortable with Nikon but switched because of Canon lenses. I’ll get used to Canon and it is likely superior aside from the clear lens supremacy. I tried switch from PC to Mac and that was a different story. Impossible.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Mirrorless is probably like AF or IS. Maybe both. Important leaps that become ubiquitous and essential.

The profound difference is that for the first time the photographers sees what the sensor is seeing.
Hmmm, I will agree to disagree on all counts. Essential is a big leap. I could go without using both for the rest of my days....The WYSIWYG thing has been hashed and rehashed here ad nauseam. So basically, my way of putting it is we will have more choices so that's a win win for all. Still, you can shoot the worlds greatest photograph with manual focus, no stability, low to no pixels and so forth.

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Nov 6, 2019
Hmmm, I will agree to disagree on all counts. Essential is a big leap. I could go without using both for the rest of my days....The WYSIWYG thing has been hashed and rehashed here ad nauseam. So basically, my way of putting it is we will have more choices so that's a win win for all. Still, you can shoot the worlds greatest photograph with manual focus, no stability, low to no pixels and so forth.

I can agree with all that. I’m really taking about the business and market and not photography.

Ironically, with IBIS and focus peaking, the vintage lenses can have a renaissance.

I had a non VR Nikon 400 f2.8 that was hand holdable on the Z6. Of course it literally weighed double what the new Canon weighs.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
except existing R users will not take Canon very seriously and maybe future buyers too if the gap between releases is very small. Why the R II and not the R III ? ohh wait the R IV will be fantastic!

Right. I don't see Canon just flipping to a Sony A7 model and spitting out big, same-market-segment upgrades often for the reasons you've indicated. A7 and A7R users were put through the mill as their gear was regularly one-upped with new versions.

...but Canon did kind of do that with EOS M. I believe it was a new model like every 15 months or so.

But FF is a different market. Perhaps we do see a flurry of releases, but not in such a way as to obsolete a specific model. Instead, they may build up their FF body portfolio and establish their segmentation (good/better/best, good/all-arounder/super detail, good/video/pro, etc.).

In other words, current RF body owners won't lose their minds when a (say) 70x6 EOS RS rig comes out for $3500. "Oh, that's the top one, or that's a pricey premium model. I'll wait for the EOS R2 or EOS RP2."

- A

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I just got the EOS R I was debating to wait for the MKII. Is it really realistic to think they’re gonna realize a MKII just 1 year after the release of MKI and with out announcement? I don’t know if I should be made cause the R is about to be mad cheap or because I could’ve waited a few more months for the MKII lol
I wouldn't be mad, I don't think the R is made cheap.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Whatever Canon comes out with, I just hope, at least some of my fellow CR poster's opinions and speculations are validated by the results. I will be so glad to see your eager anticipation of same finally rewarded with big s _ _ _ eating grins on your faces, as you drool on the box of new Canon R gear in front of you. I'll be watching. Now, take care of them Canon. They have been oh so patient. You can do this Canon.......it won't be long now.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Yes, that's true... but on the other hand Canon's move is logical.

The Sony rumor page reports that Sony will very likely announce the Sony A7 Mark IV in the first half of 2020. Whether or not people here like the Sony A7 Mark III everybody has to admit that this camera was a huge financial success for Sony. They also gained a massive boost in reputation. It was something like Canon's 5D Mark II, Mark III or the 6D Mark I. While Canon is still the leader of overall camera sales, they are not the leader of mirrorless full frame sales and Sony can continue to brag about it. With the Sony A7 Mark IV on the horizon, Canon could gamble and hope that Sony won't be able to repeat their A7 Mark III success, but this time Canon has chosen to directly attack them with the EOS R Mark II.

The internet will obviously talk about for months who's the winner specs- and saleswise but the actual winner is the customer. Both companies will push each other to release the better camera.
Well said.

Upvote 0