Two new EOS R bodies coming in the first half of 2020 [CR3]

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Does that mean that 6D was "slightly better than" 5D series?
To the people who only value low ISo Dynamic Range, yes. To those people, the 90D also is a better than the RP, for instance (90D has better low ISo DR).

Or in my case, it made the 6D II not better enough compared to my 80D to justify the price difference.

But those are just specific subjective aspects. The overall package is what many people base better or worse on.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Was 6D sensor worse than 5DII sensor?
I don't know, but what is the point you are trying to make? There are people I've read that say the images from the 5d II are pretty special. I never had a 5D II. Have you? Or a 6D II? The RP uses the 6D Mark II sensor... not that of the 6D. 6D Mark II released at $2,000. The RP released at $1,299. The 5D Mark IV released at $3,499. The R released at $2,299.

All I know is that my R runs circles around my former 5D mark III which was a helluva camera.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I don't know, but what is the point you are trying to make?
A similar sensor in the new camera as one in the old camera does not mean that both cameras have the same positioning on the market.

There are people I've read that say the images from the 5d II are pretty special. I never had a 5D II. Have you?
Yes, and I like the images it produces (except for color banding in shadows; fortunately, I prefer shadows to be shadows and rarely need to "recover" them).

Upvote 0
I see the full frame mirrorless offerings like this, in order of price:

Cheapskate/newbie entry level: Canon EOS RP, no Nikon, Sony A7 II old model
Enthusiast entry level: Canon EOS R, Nikon Z6, Sony A7 III
High-res enthusiast: no Canon, Nikon Z7, Sony A7 IV
Pro Sports/Action: no Canon, no Nikon, Sony A9 II

So if there are 2 new Canons coming, there are 2 obvious gaps. The top priority of these would be the high-res enthusiast model, especially with the new DSLR entering the pro sports segment. The A7R series has been a major success for Sony and attracted many mainstream customers, so Canon would want to address that urgently.

In fact, the new DSLR might mean the second one could be an update to the EOS R, instead of filling the pro sports mirrorless gap. Would love for it to be the sports/mirrorless model, but I reckon the EOS R's weakness at burst speed might be a priority that Canon wants to address quickly. And they seem to be rolling out a new generation of sensors, so that's my tip for the second 2020 release: EOS R II with new-gen sensor and higher burst speed and, possibly, IBIS.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Kiss/Rebel were around long time before APS-C DSLR's.
the only reason they weren't full frame in the Digital Era was because of cost
IMO, they will most certainly have a Kiss/Rebel RF mount camera - and it will be full frame.

I take it, then, you mean that they will continue to use the <i>names</i> "kiss" and "rebel" but the cameras will be quite different (FF mirrorless rather than APSC DSLR).

Upvote 0
I take it, then, you mean that they will continue to use the <i>names</i> "kiss" and "rebel" but the cameras will be quite different (FF mirrorless rather than APSC DSLR).

well again, Kiss and Rebel were originally full frame film cameras.

I fail to see why they would have to do anything different really.

If anything, I forsee we'll see a return to how the lineup looked in the film days - a really big big big full circle back.

the lineup was really:

Rebel (ended up with multiple Rebels Ti, G, K, T2, XS, etc)
Elan
EOS-3
EOS-1

I could see that migrating to something similar:
Rebel (multiple lines with EOS RP being the super rebel ie: 77D replacement)
EOS R (elan)
EOS 5R (EOS-3)
EOS 1R (EOS-1)

Canon did state they will have RF cameras under the RP. so it sounds like this would most likely be the only way to do it.

here's the article btw.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I see the full frame mirrorless offerings like this, in order of price:

Cheapskate/newbie entry level: Canon EOS RP, no Nikon, Sony A7 II old model
Enthusiast entry level: Canon EOS R, Nikon Z6, Sony A7 III
High-res enthusiast: no Canon, Nikon Z7, Sony A7 IV
Pro Sports/Action: no Canon, no Nikon, Sony A9 II

So if there are 2 new Canons coming, there are 2 obvious gaps. The top priority of these would be the high-res enthusiast model, especially with the new DSLR entering the pro sports segment. The A7R series has been a major success for Sony and attracted many mainstream customers, so Canon would want to address that urgently.

In fact, the new DSLR might mean the second one could be an update to the EOS R, instead of filling the pro sports mirrorless gap. Would love for it to be the sports/mirrorless model, but I reckon the EOS R's weakness at burst speed might be a priority that Canon wants to address quickly. And they seem to be rolling out a new generation of sensors, so that's my tip for the second 2020 release: EOS R II with new-gen sensor and higher burst speed and, possibly, IBIS.
I really don’t see this Enthusiast / Pro distinction. A working professional could use any camera, it all depends what photography you do and your output. If all you do is work for newspaper or online then you don’t need a 60mp+ camera. Just like you don’t need a 20fps camera if you do landscape or actually even wildlife.
Where you could distinguish a model not necessarily being aimed at working professionals is something like a single card slot.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
EOS 5000 (for Europe only)
EOS 500 (Rebel/Kiss)
EOS 50 (Elan)
EOS 5
EOS 1
I had the EOS 5 and have the EOS 3. The 3 is a tank, much like the 5D series. The EOS 5 and Elans are not much different. The EOS 5 also had a strange layout. Never got used to it.It was also known for bad film loader parts.Stripped out often. My Elan 7 isn't tank built but functions perfectly with eye control as well.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I don't know, but what is the point you are trying to make? There are people I've read that say the images from the 5d II are pretty special. I never had a 5D II. Have you? Or a 6D II? The RP uses the 6D Mark II sensor... not that of the 6D. 6D Mark II released at $2,000. The RP released at $1,299. The 5D Mark IV released at $3,499. The R released at $2,299.

All I know is that my R runs circles around my former 5D mark III which was a helluva camera.
I had 5DII 5DIII and sold them. Now I have 5DIV 5DsR 7DII and R.
I do not know anything about "special" photos regarding the 5DII.
5DIII was better than 5DII (at low light high iso) and 5DIV is better than 5DIII.
I have not regretted these upgrades.
I will upgrade to 5DV when available and I do not think I will regret it either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One thing I've learned after a couple of years of proposed camera specifications is this... the rumors always over project and the result consistently under delivers. People will most certainly complain for months on end upon initial release and then we'll all once again agree the final product is better than we feared. With that said, I'm less interested in a new R body and more interested in some affordable RF glass like maybe an RF 85mm f/1.4 IS.

Upvote 0
Hoping the new bodies are as good as the Nikon Z6 and Z7. I understand they are not selling well at all but would be my choice if buying new, and not having Canon gear (which I am pleased with). Slow in their release of lenses but the f1.8s are to my liking. However, I am expecting big things from Canon and look forward to future announcement.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Case in point:

I don't read other rumor sites. Stuff rated with CR2 on this site tends to be pretty good.

Also, I was mainly pointing out that saying that rumor sites are always over projecting is not accurate. Let's not get carried away again. There are no specs here anyway.

What I mainly take away from this rumor here is that Canon is putting a ton of effort into the RF system and this will be an interesting year.

Upvote 0
I don't read other rumor sites. Stuff rated with CR2 on this site tends to be pretty good.

Also, I was mainly pointing out that saying that rumor sites are always over projecting is not accurate. Let's not get carried away again. There are no specs here anyway.

What I mainly take away from this rumor here is that Canon is putting a ton of effort into the RF system and this will be an interesting year.

No need to get defensive. I own two R's and have three RF lenses. I'm as eager as anyone to see what's next. And they did mention specs for the mark II on this site.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
If I'm a working pro and see:
  • A flurry of modern spot-on f/1.2 primes come out on RF while my EF 85 f/1.2L II continues to focus like a turtle on downers and my go-to EF 50L continues to be an erratic mess...
  • A staple pro tool comes out in the EF 70-200 f/2.8L III IS that turns out to be the same optical formula with just a new paint job and (I think) a front element coating all while the RF 70-200 gets utterly transformed...
...I'd start to lose faith that Canon was taking EF seriously as a top priority.

There are still many many brilliant things EF has that RF will not have for a long time, but that will slowly change.

- A

The new coatings are throughout the optical formula, not just the front. It is quite impressive in terms of flare performance compared to the II. Great if you need it for the situations in which you shoot, not much of a thing if you don't.

Last edited:
Upvote 0