Two New Lenses Coming From Canon Next Week [CR3]

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
MrFotoFool said:
Keeping an eye on this, as I have the old non-IS version of the 2.8. It is tack sharp and I love it, but there are times IS would be nice. Closer focus would come in handy at times also.

One of the things I am interested in is the tripod ring. Will be a removable foot like the 100-400ii? I really liked the (now long gone) design of the ring on the old black 80-200, two halves hinged together that could be removed without taking the lens off the body.

I'm not a fan of the older hinged design -- mostly because I don't like the hinge. But then again, I'm ok with just leaving the ring on the lens.

I really like the 100-400LII tripod ring, not only in the removable foot, but how smoothly it glides. It is a very useful tool when the camera is on a gimbal like a Wimberley (which doesn't have a rotational axis).

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
kaitlyn2004 said:
I hope there is something that makes me want to upgrade/replace my 70-200 F4. Can't really see what that would be... so I hope I'm surprised by something!

Lighter would be really nice as I've been doing a lot more hiking with it lately and if I can save a measurable amount of grams, I'll take it!

every gram counts!

As I have gotten older, my camping gear has gotten lighter, but my camera gear has gotten heavier... the pack still weighs about the same... I used to only be able to shoot in good light, but with the newer bodies and (reasonably) fast lenses, it's amazing what you can get away with....

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Don Haines said:
kaitlyn2004 said:
I hope there is something that makes me want to upgrade/replace my 70-200 F4. Can't really see what that would be... so I hope I'm surprised by something!

Lighter would be really nice as I've been doing a lot more hiking with it lately and if I can save a measurable amount of grams, I'll take it!

every gram counts!

To get things into perspective, during my hiking days - Kodachrome 64.

As I have gotten older, my camping gear has gotten lighter, but my camera gear has gotten heavier... the pack still weighs about the same... I used to only be able to shoot in good light, but with the newer bodies and (reasonably) fast lenses, it's amazing what you can get away with....

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
The biggest thing for me is the ongoing commitment to new high end lenses for the EF mount. Makes me feel quite confident about any upcoming FF mirrorless.

I hope they fix some of the barrel screw issues, the II has a habit of the small screws coming undone on mine, which Ive seen mentioned on other forums - no biggie to fix, but was irritating to see it in the first place. As stated though, the II is generally great, so I expect just nice extras like the 100-400mm bits and pieces.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
We have a number of the EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM II lenses in our rental fleet and overall they are a well engineered lens with very few problems mechanically. There are times on the 5DS/r that you notice the CAs particularly at the 70mm end and I'm hoping Canon are addressing that. By comparison the Sony FE 70-200mm f2.8 G Master optically is a slightly superior lens and this I'm sure would have unnerved Canon given its a popular pro lens. With Canon showcasing the 120MP sensor the current lens would show its weaknesses so I'm not surprised they are upgrading it lets hope it usurps the Sony lens.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
The two big sellers for L glass are 24-70 (or 105) and 70-200..... it does not matter if not a single person upgrades from the previous version, these lenses sell a lot. It’s also a bragging rights lens, and to help draw people into the brand they need/want to be better than the competition.... they will be great lenses.

I am very curious to see how well they turn out, as this should be a very good indicator of what the state of the art is at Canon....

Even more reasons to do 24-70 L IS 2.8 which Canon does not have at all!

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
ahsanford said:
Famateur said:
I really like my 70-200 F4 L. It'll be interesting to see what they have in mind to improve upon it with the Mark II. Quieter IS motor is about the only thing I can think of...

Can't wait to see some reviews!

For both, one might expect:

Lighter
Sharper
New CPL cutout in the hood
Slightly better IS
Maybe a new tripod ring design?

But as virtually everyone has said thus far: both of these lenses are still outstanding today. Canon will need to pull a rabbit out of the hat to get folks to upgrade.

- A

They ship in a bundle that includes a free 50mm f/1.4 IS. :)

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
MrFotoFool said:
Keeping an eye on this, as I have the old non-IS version of the 2.8. It is tack sharp and I love it, but there are times IS would be nice. Closer focus would come in handy at times also.

One of the things I am interested in is the tripod ring. Will be a removable foot like the 100-400ii? I really liked the (now long gone) design of the ring on the old black 80-200, two halves hinged together that could be removed without taking the lens off the body.

Same here, non-IS f/2.8 version and I'm very happy with it. However at times IS would be useful (i.e. indoors). Buuuuut, high ISO is so good these days that I should just hang tight. I don't shoot with the 70-200 THAT much. :)

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
ahsanford said:
But as virtually everyone has said thus far: both of these lenses are still outstanding today. Canon will need to pull a rabbit out of the hat to get folks to upgrade.

I don't think the intention is to get existing lens users to upgrade, but to keep their premium optics at the top of the game compared to the competition to attract new buyers into the Canon system.

Right now I do love my 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, but I am aware that the recent Nikon and Sony offerings both slightly outperform it. I'm not going to switch out my lens for a newer model, but it's good to know that Canon are taking the competition seriously.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
jeffa4444 said:
With Canon showcasing the 120MP sensor the current lens would show its weaknesses so I'm not surprised they are upgrading it lets hope it usurps the Sony lens.

I doubt we'll see a 120MP APS-H camera, though we might see an equivalent 200MP FF and/or 80MP APS-C. IMHO, we'll see neither, for several reasons.

First is optics price/performance ratio doesn't get better the way electronic's does, and the market wouldn't bear the prices.

Second is the question of how useful it would actually be. To get that much detail, photographers would need to shoot with wider apertures to avoid diffraction, better stabilization / shorter exposure to prevent camera motion blur, etc.

[Yes, it would still, as surely as CN-E lenses with a 5 digits price tags do.]

Third is the market already wakes up to the fact the need for such a high resolution is niche with extra costs.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2017
ahsanford said:
For both, one might expect:

Lighter
Sharper
New CPL cutout in the hood
Slightly better IS
Maybe a new tripod ring design?

- A

Canon smart. No question. Yes?

F/4 lens noisy. Make bad video. IS bad. Need new IS.

More reason Canon know? More reason google know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIl5a1fT8Ow

Common problem? Canon pay warranty fix. Bad economics.

Upvote 0