UK pricing and ship date for the Canon EOS RP [CR1]

Oct 26, 2013
It's so nice to be a stills only shooter and not have a dog in the 4k-crop fight. (munch munch popcorn)

Even if you do video, you might not be in the fight! I am planning to do some how-to videos and the Canon cameras offer far more than I will ever need. I have no need for 4K for doing YouTube or even if I produce DVDs. Polls here and elsewhere indicate the percentage of 4K shooters is small and my guess is that far more video shooters are glad for the crop as they are shooting their kids doing sports, plays, etc. where they need the reach, and wide angle is totally irrelevant. I really think most of the "crop" complainers would never need to do any wide angle shooting and the crop will work as well if not better than full frame 4K. They just grab onto the topic becuase they want to bash Canon. Just my opinion, of course.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

The Fat Fish

VFX Artist
Jul 29, 2017
Exeter, UK
Why sadly? The 6D is an excellent camera and unless there is something about a mirrorless camera that makes you want to switch, why would you want to?
The 6D is excellent. My only complaint when it comes to stills is I now require more dynamic range. I mostly bracket with the 6D and get great results but there’s always a few scenes with too much movement to bracket.

Ultimately I am looking for a stills/video camera which Canon don’t currently offer. That said, if the price is right and the dynamic range is good, I’ll pickup the RP for stills work.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Although I expected (and want) Canon to come out with a more advanced model than the EOS R, rather than a lower model, I can see the business sense in a 'budget' model (being the EOS RP) enticing photographers to the Canon FF mirrorless / RF mount. With aggressive pricing, and an adapter, they could convert many existing Canon DSLR users (both APS-C owners with their EF-S and EF lenses, as well as FF DSLR owners).

I currently own a bunch of Canon photography gear, the most used being the Canon 80D with a mix of EF-S and EF lenses (including some L glass). I also own the M5, with 4 dedicated EF-M lenses, which I use regularly. The Canon FF mirrorless (RF mount) is something I expect to get into in the future... and being a middle aged guy, I look forward to many years using that. But I want to enter it at the right time with the right model.

The EOS R did not work for me (poor ergonomics, and lacking some features I want). The EOS R's EVF is amazing though... really night and day above the M5 (both in terms of size, viewing pleasure - particularly brightness, clarity, contrast, colour and dynamic range). Not that the M5's EVF is truly terrible, it's 'ok' - and certainly better than some EVFs I have used in the past. But the EOS R's EVF is just so much more pleasant to use. If the EOS RP has an EVF that is say 70% to 80% of the way to the EOS R's (compared to the M5's, I think it will be good enough for most people of this target market.

Other specs that I think are important in the market segmentation for an EOS RP model: sensor IQ at, or slightly above the 6D DSLR models, AF and subject tracking similar to the EOS M5 / M50, no need for amazing 4k video, but having that as an option (even with a 'crop mode' would be ok). Having an EF-S/EF to RF adapter available in the kit (or fairly inexpensively) would be important too.

The swivel screen, DPAF, Canon's colour science and compatibility with Canon's accessories and 'system' are a given... So yes, if it's priced right (my guess, initial RRP between USD $1500 and $1700)... and then dropping a hundred or few hundred after a few months, will mean it could sell quite well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

CaMeRa QuEsT

EOS M5 11-22/4-5.6 22/2 50/1.8 STM+EF-EOSM 270EXII
Sep 12, 2016
Sony already has the perfect camera to counter this RP(opulaire): the A7RII, which was already selling for $1600 last holiday season and you can still get one at that price if you trade in an old DSRL. It's got IBIS, 4K, 42Mp sensor with industry leading DR, lossless 14bit RAW, some weather sealing (doubt the RP will have any), all on top of whatever the RP will have. Heck, it even drives EF lenses flawlessly with a Sigma adapter! Granted, it doesn't have the Canon logo on front, nor is it as light or compact, but Canon is going to have a heck of a hard time convincing non-Canon loyals, and even then they totally blew it with their M base, me included.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Canon broke the mold with the 5D2 and 1080p, but they really haven't done a whole lot since (with the exception of DPAF and live video AF... which is huge, but still). I didn't start out doing any video either, but my work afforded opportunities to do simple video as well under a one man operation. I shoot 4k with the DX2 presently and get fantastic results, but it's frustrating not to be able to record externally with it since the old original 1DX with a modified firmware for twice the price was so capable and three years later Canon still decided to lock that capability out as a marketing decision.

Having a compact body like the EOS R with 4k capability and a stellar output smokes the 1DX2 with the exception of a bigger crop and no 4k60. But at 4k30, it's a great camera and I have zero complaints with its specs.

What I would like to see is an RP with similar specs in that regard. We may not get 10bit 422 and Clog, but that would purely be a marketing decision, and I would likely expect that.

No 4K isn't universal, but understand that SHOOTING in 4K and then rendering to 1080p in post is still notably different (better) than shooting natively in 1080p. There is far more depth and detail going that route. That may not be a big deal for Vlogging but for wedding people and those of us doing small commercial work, it DOES matter.

I own the DX2, 5DSR, 6D, 5D3, 7D... and a LOT of Canon glass. I'm not complaining or leaving Canon. But as an avid Canon user who is heavily financially invested (unlike some constant whiners on here), I have enough skin in the game to voice some dissatisfaction on rare occasions.

Again, this is all academic until we know what is/is not in this new machine. Just having fun debate for now

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Canon broke the mold with the 5D2 and 1080p, but they really haven't done a whole lot since (with the exception of DPAF and live video AF... which is huge, but still). I didn't start out doing any video either, but my work afforded opportunities to do simple video as well under a one man operation. I shoot 4k with the DX2 presently and get fantastic results, but it's frustrating not to be able to record externally with it since the old original 1DX with a modified firmware for twice the price was so capable and three years later Canon still decided to lock that capability out as a marketing decision.

Having a compact body like the EOS R with 4k capability and a stellar output smokes the 1DX2 with the exception of a bigger crop and no 4k60. But at 4k30, it's a great camera and I have zero complaints with its specs.

What I would like to see is an RP with similar specs in that regard. We may not get 10bit 422 and Clog, but that would purely be a marketing decision, and I would likely expect that.

No 4K isn't universal, but understand that SHOOTING in 4K and then rendering to 1080p in post is still notably different (better) than shooting natively in 1080p. There is far more depth and detail going that route. That may not be a big deal for Vlogging but for wedding people and those of us doing small commercial work, it DOES matter.

I own the DX2, 5DSR, 6D, 5D3, 7D... and a LOT of Canon glass. I'm not complaining or leaving Canon. But as an avid Canon user who is heavily financially invested (unlike some constant whiners on here), I have enough skin in the game to voice some dissatisfaction on rare occasions.

Again, this is all academic until we know what is/is not in this new machine. Just having fun debate for now

This guy, with the practical and extremely reasonable criticism! Likewise, I also never intended to get into video, but ended up shooting internet spots for clients using my T4i and the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 (and later, a rented GH4, SpeedBoosters, and various EF lenses). Would enjoy having a more capable Canon mirrorless down the line, since I never know when someone will decide they want video.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
I am pretty happy with my 5DIV at the moment and will continue with that for the next few years, but I see the RP as a very big step for Canon in getting people interested in mirrorless FF cameras, especially at the price point stated. At the presumed pricing, this will push others, namely Nikon and Sony to reduce pricing further. It does make one wonder a bit about Canon's DSLR line. They are still very committed and are planning new EF telephotos, but I just wonder if eventually they will just drop the lower DSLRs (Rebels, and possibly the 80D-90D series).

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
It's not that 1080p is "BAD". But once you shoot things in 4K (even down converting in post) you'll have a hard time going back. I have an atoms Ninja. I'd really like to be able to send 4K out from a compact body. Not a big EOS Cinema. In this day and age with SO many other makers doing it, this is no longer a "big deal" on a $1500 body. If the EOS RP hits with a significantly lesser video capability than the R, so be it. Disappointing, but so be it. I will look to the EOS R, because there's little hope the "PRO" model MILC rumored to be coming later this year will be a better fit, as a higher res sensor will only burden the crop further as Canon probably does not have video in mind for that offering (think 5DSR2 with no mirror). I had been hoping Canon would announce a real serious video offering with its new MILC bodies. I realize I may to be patient a bit longer.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I am pretty happy with my 5DIV at the moment and will continue with that for the next few years, but I see the RP as a very big step for Canon in getting people interested in mirrorless FF cameras, especially at the price point stated. At the presumed pricing, this will push others, namely Nikon and Sony to reduce pricing further. It does make one wonder a bit about Canon's DSLR line. They are still very committed and are planning new EF telephotos, but I just wonder if eventually they will just drop the lower DSLRs (Rebels, and possibly the 80D-90D series).

Over the long term, yes, its likely everything moves that direction....but that is a VERY long term. Remember, Canon is still producing NEW EF lenses for the upper level pro. That isn't going to radically change anytime soon. People who shoot things like DX models honestly dont give a crap if their camera has a mirror or not. They dont care that it's big (I own a 1DX2). Most of those shooters are using HUGE telephoto glass and a small compact camera strapped to it would be AWFUL. Remember it's not just about a sensor. It also about how well balanced the rig is when you are moving and shooting under less than ideal conditions. An EOS RP (or God forbid an M50) strapped to a 200-400L or something similar sized is a far less ideal feel and balance than it strapped to a DX2 type body.

So yes, we will se MORE MILC coming. But it will probably be a long while before we see DSLR entirely replaced, particularly at the upper end. Canon will have a 1DX3 (and probably a 4 and 5 at least) before that happens

Upvote 0

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
Over the long term, yes, its likely everything moves that direction....but that is a VERY long term. Remember, Canon is still producing NEW EF lenses for the upper level pro. That isn't going to radically change anytime soon. People who shoot things like DX models honestly dont give a crap if their camera has a mirror or not. They dont care that it's big (I own a 1DX2). Most of those shooters are using HUGE telephoto glass and a small compact camera strapped to it would be AWFUL. Remember it's not just about a sensor. It also about how well balanced the rig is when you are moving and shooting under less than ideal conditions. An EOS RP (or God forbid an M50) strapped to a 200-400L or something similar sized is a far less ideal feel and balance than it strapped to a DX2 type body.

So yes, we will se MORE MILC coming. But it will probably be a long while before we see DSLR entirely replaced, particularly at the upper end. Canon will have a 1DX3 (and probably a 4 and 5 at least) before that happens

I got a loan of the R from CPS and one of my biggest complaints was I couldn’t just look through the viewfinder. I would have to wake it up first. It’s a bit frustrating as a sports shooter and a waste of battery running the evf all the time. The 1DX line will be here to stay for a long time IMO

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Sony already has the perfect camera to counter this RP(opulaire): the A7RII, which was already selling for $1600 last holiday season and you can still get one at that price if you trade in an old DSRL. It's got IBIS, 4K, 42Mp sensor with industry leading DR, lossless 14bit RAW, some weather sealing (doubt the RP will have any), all on top of whatever the RP will have. Heck, it even drives EF lenses flawlessly with a Sigma adapter! Granted, it doesn't have the Canon logo on front, nor is it as light or compact, but Canon is going to have a heck of a hard time convincing non-Canon loyals, and even then they totally blew it with their M base, me included.

The A7R III is not selling for $1600, it is selling for $2,998 and is a totally different level of camera than this new RP. Apparently you mean the A7 III, which of course does not quite have the specs that you state. And no Canon lens with adapter works flawlessly on a Sony. And exactly what this has to do with Canon's M system I have no idea.

Your post is nothing more than a meaningless/misinformed advertisement for Sony, in my opinion.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
The A7R III is not selling for $1600, it is selling for $2,998 and is a totally different level of camera than this new RP. Apparently you mean the A7 III, which of course does not quite have the specs that you state. And no Canon lens with adapter works flawlessly on a Sony. And exactly what this has to do with Canon's M system I have no idea.

Your post is nothing more than a meaningless/misinformed advertisement for Sony, in my opinion.

Yeah that seems like a paid Sony troll.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018

No, he meant what he said: the A7R II (TWO not 3). It's selling for $1800, or less if you trade in (ie, you could get one for $1600 with a trade-in), and it's spec'd as he said.

I think if you'd read his post carefully you wouldn't have come to the conclusion that he's making stuff up out of whole cloth because Sony is paying him to.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sony Alpha 7 II released in December 2014. Initial release price in December 2014 was $1,700 USD. :rolleyes: Apples and oranges. The Canon will be missing the hand warmer for the video guys.
The Canon will also be missing decent video, this is a budget camera with cut down specs to try and tempt people who don't need modern features like IBIS.

Upvote 0