Unreleased Canon Cinema EOS camera used for 8K capture at WWDC

I can buy an ABSOLUTE PERFORMANCE WAY-BEYOND-EQUAL system to this Apple Pro for a MUCH CHEAPER amount which has BETTER SPECS, more CPU and GPU horsepower and is FAAAAAAAR more flexible and upgradeable!

---
Dell UltraSharp 32 8K Monitor: UP3218K (7680 by 4320 pixels resolution): $3419 US
---
Professional Monitor Colour Calibration and Printer Matching System:
Datacolor Spyder5PRO – Designed for Serious Photographers and Designers (SXP100) : $170 US
---
AMD Threadripper 2990wx CPU 3GHZ at $1748 US
---
ASRock X399 Professional Gaming sTR4 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1/3.0
10 gigabit ethernet builtin on ATX AMD Motherboard = $400 US
---
Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM AIO Liquid CPU Cooler,240mm,
Dual ML120 PRO RGB PWM Fans,Intel 115x/2066,AMD AM4/TR4 : $130 US
---
CORSAIR AXi Series, AX1600i, 1600 Watt, 80+ Titanium Certified,
Fully Modular Digital Power Supply for motherboard and peripherals: $410 US
---
256 gigabytes of DDR4 RAM if motherboard BIOS is updated to latest release.
256 gigabytes of DDR4 RAM
https://www.amazon.com/256GB-4x64GB-288-Pin-Reduced-Memory/dp/B07JN1TR3N/ref=sr_1_1 = $2117 US
---
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 4TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E4T0B/AM) = $600 per drive
Need four of these SSD drives so $2400 US for 16 terabytes of Internal SSD storage.
---
External Storage Array Box: Drives are sold separately
Drobo 8D 8-Drive Direct Attached Storage (DAS) Array - Dual Thunderbolt 3 Ports (DRDR7A21) = $1300 US
---
Seagate IronWolf 8TB NAS Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA
6Gb/s 7200 RPM 256MB Cache for RAID Network Attached Storage (ST8000VN0022) = $220 US per drive

need 8 of these drives for to fully populate above storage array = $1760 US
for 64 terabytes of external network storage
---
AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100 Graphics Card - 1.50 GHz Core - 16 GB = $1700 each
Need TWO of them to handle multiple 8K video streams in realtime = $3500 for TWO
---
SADES Gaming Keyboard and Mouse Combo,Wired Keyboard with
Orange Lights and Mouse with 4 Adjustable DPI for Gaming,for PC/laptop/win7/win8/win10;
https://www.amazon.com/SADES-Gaming-Keyboard-Orange-Adjustable/dp/B07BKRWF81/ref=sr_1_3 = $30 US
---
High end gaming and editing headphones
HyperX Cloud II Gaming Headset - 7.1 Surround Sound -
Memory Foam Ear Pads, Durable Aluminum Frame - Multi Platform Headset -
Works with PC, PS4, PS4 PRO, Xbox One, Xbox One S - Red (KHX-HSCP-RD) = $88 US
---
BEST computer case ever
CORSAIR Graphite 780T Full-Tower Case- White: $180 US
---
Professional Wide format professional photo printer bundle:
Epson Artisan 1430 Wireless 13x19 Printer+Refill Ink Cartridges+600ml Dye Ink Bundle: $1100 US
---
Windows 10 Professional Operating system on
USB Flash Drive English Language | Full Product: $140 US
---
CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 2019
with high end Photo Editor and Organizer,
2D/3D Vector Graphics : $550 US - One-time fee with NO monthly charges
---
Corel Video Studio Pro Timeline Editor : $50 US - One-time fee with NO monthly charges
Pretty close to Blackmagic Resolve in editing power but quite a bit easier to use for beginner to intermediate users:

APC Uninterruptible Backup Power Supply, SMT2200C, APC Smart-UPS 2200VA LCD 120V : $1750 US
---

As you can see here EVERYTHING is WORKSTATION CLASS and OBLITERATES the Apple + Intel Solution!

So for a Windows 10 Professional, AMD Threadripper System with 32 cores and 64 threads and 256 gigabytes of DDR4 System RAM, 16 Terabytes of INTERNAL SSD storage and 64 Terabytes of 6GB per second RAID External Drive Storage
TWO of the 16 Gigabyte Workstation Class AMD WX9100 GPU's powering a 7680 by 4320 pixels resolution 10-bit HDR 8K monitor, professional-level 2D/3D Paint and Vector graphics creation and pro-level video editing software bundle (I use the Corel products all the time), a high-end, high-resolution gaming keyboard, mouse and headset, a pro-level colour calibration system and an Epson professional wide format colour inkjet printer, ALL protected by a 1900 Watt APC UPS battery-back power protection system FOR ONLY:

Total Cost: $19,394 US

which is $35,000 CHEAPER than Apple's fully topped out system AND it
gives you FAR MORE GRAPHICS PROCESSING POWER BANG FOR THE BUCK !!!

Which system would YOU rather buy ???

=======

AND if you want to spend MORE for SUPER-SERVER-CLASS hardware then simply change out the motherboard and cpu

for these two packages:

AMD EPYC 7601 Server-class CPU
with 32 cores, 64 threads and 128 PCIx lanes for MAXIMUM
peripheral communications bandwidth: $4300 US

TYAN Tomcat SX S8026-LE
Single Socket AMD EPYC Server Motherboard
16 DIMM slots supporting up to 2TB DDR4 RAM : $700 US

Just add another $5000 US to make into the NEAR-SUPERCOMPUTER class
of 8K resolution graphics and editing workstations! It BLOWS AWAY any
Apple and Intel combination of hardware in terms of outright processing horsepower!

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Believe it or not, the new Apple monitor is "aggressively priced".

If you look at Canon reference monitors, for example, they have far more features than the Apple monitor - as they are not designed to work attached to a computer only through a single available port only.

The display itself can be great, I don't doubt it(- yet it's still less versatile than a high-end reference monitor which supports far more use cases - beware of apples to oranges comparisons.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I would imagine that having 8k in the cinema line would mean that canon will stop limiting the 4k Ability in the stills line of cameras.
I don’t understand that logic, the two are completely unrelated. Any company that makes comparable feature sets in different model lines needs to make a corporate decision on how the mitigate the in house competition. 8k in video cameras has nothing to do with 4K in stills cameras all the time 4K in video cameras is still a thing.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I can buy an ABSOLUTE PERFORMANCE WAY-BEYOND-EQUAL system to this Apple Pro for a MUCH CHEAPER amount which has BETTER SPECS, more CPU and GPU horsepower and is FAAAAAAAR more flexible and upgradeable!...

...Which system would YOU rather buy ???

You lost me at Corel Draw.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

bgoyette

CR Pro
Feb 6, 2015
As you can see here EVERYTHING is WORKSTATION CLASS and OBLITERATES the Apple + Intel Solution!

So for a Windows 10 Professional, AMD Threadripper System with 32 cores and 64 threads and 256 gigabytes of DDR4 System RAM, 16 Terabytes of INTERNAL SSD storage and 64 Terabytes of 6GB per second RAID External Drive Storage
TWO of the 16 Gigabyte Workstation Class AMD WX9100 GPU's powering a 7680 by 4320 pixels resolution 10-bit HDR 8K monitor, professional-level 2D/3D Paint and Vector graphics creation and pro-level video editing software bundle (I use the Corel products all the time), a high-end, high-resolution gaming keyboard, mouse and headset, a pro-level colour calibration system and an Epson professional wide format colour inkjet printer, ALL protected by a 1900 Watt APC UPS battery-back power protection system FOR ONLY:

Total Cost: $19,394 US

which is $35,000 CHEAPER than Apple's fully topped out system AND it
gives you FAR MORE GRAPHICS PROCESSING POWER BANG FOR THE BUCK !!!

Which system would YOU rather buy ???

Ha. Ok...so you're comparing your $20k monstrosity with a completely hypothetical $50k apple machine, listing completely different hardware from the ground up. Classic. You got my attention with the monitor, spec'ing something that has "one" feature in common with the apple XDR (8k, sort of) skipping all that ludicrous HDR (XDR) crap, because...who needs that. Not gonna dig too deep into your hole of a cobbled together machine, but it sure looks like you've done the same thing throughout. How bout waiting till apple starts spec'ing their higher end versions of this machine, before you start telling us how much money you can save on your planet. Generally, when we start talking about similarly spec'd animals, the Apple machines are right in there with similar machines from Dell and HP.

Like that monitor. Hearing lots of comparisons to Sony's and Canon's 20-30k reference monitors...not really appropriate, as they are different beasts. This would be more comparable to something from Eizo if they even made an 8k monitor. Their 4k HDR (1000nit, non-reference) is about 6 grand, so you can see apple is...Uh...pretty competitive. (Eizo's reference version, if we believe the apple's nomenclature on the XDR, and want to compare is, $30k+.)

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Apple thinks people have Money trees in their backyard.
A lot of people do. I went to dinner last week with a client, the bill for the three tables was over $4,500 and he didn’t think anything of it, it was just a casual ‘let’s go out for dinner’ thing. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not in that spending bracket but I work with a heck of a lot of people to whom $4,000 is a dinner budget!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
A lot of people do. I went to dinner last week with a client, the bill for the three tables was over $4,500 and he didn’t think anything of it, it was just a casual ‘let’s go out for dinner’ thing. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not in that spending bracket but I work with a heck of a lot of people to whom $4,000 is a dinner budget!
The next best thing to being a millionaire is having friends and clients that are millionaires.

Upvote 0
You lost me at Corel Draw.

---

Our company uses Coreldraw EVERYWHERE !!! It is an AMAZING package that comes with everything for vector graphics and general photo editing. AND you pay once and only upgrade when YOU want to. InDesign and Illustrator are DECADES OLD ALSO-RANS for 2D vector graphics compared to Coreldraw 2019 !!! It's Great !!!

BUT ... if you want to KEEP using Adobe products go ahead nothing is stopping you. The system I specified EASILY handles MUCH HIGHER END software such as the TRULY PRO-LEVEL ULTRA HIGH END Discreet Flame or Smoke VFX software, or Dassault Catia CAD/CAM/FEA which is our target applications anyways! You think $20,000+ for hardware is expensive? Try paying for a FULL Catia CAD/CAM/FEA Suite which PER LICENCE going quite a bit past $35,000 US per seat!
I should note though of all the Editing Programs out there I liked the DPS/Leitch Velocity HD THE BEST !!!! NOthing compared to it's POWER AND EASE OF USE !!! Resolve is a close second and Corel Video Studio is for my Quick and Dirty, get-out-the-door-fast jobs!

Upvote 0

bgoyette

CR Pro
Feb 6, 2015
Edit: Something about all of it is very fishy. A RED was used for the event according to the cinematographer working on it.
I believe the Mac Pro Demo stations were running multiple streams of 8k footage shot in Africa on a Red. There was another demo...possibly 'off-site' that showed a Canon camera on a robot arm with some AI software doing live compositing...You've seen it here on CR.

Upvote 0
Ha. Ok...so you're comparing your $20k monstrosity with a completely hypothetical $50k apple machine, listing completely different hardware from the ground up. Classic. You got my attention with the monitor, spec'ing something that has "one" feature in common with the apple XDR (8k, sort of) skipping all that ludicrous HDR (XDR) crap, because...who needs that. Not gonna dig too deep into your hole of a cobbled together machine, but it sure looks like you've done the same thing throughout. How bout waiting till apple starts spec'ing their higher end versions of this machine, before you start telling us how much money you can save on your planet. Generally, when we start talking about similarly spec'd animals, the Apple machines are right in there with similar machines from Dell and HP.

Like that monitor. Hearing lots of comparisons to Sony's and Canon's 20-30k reference monitors...not really appropriate, as they are different beasts. This would be more comparable to something from Eizo if they even made an 8k monitor. Their 4k HDR (1000nit, non-reference) is about 6 grand, so you can see apple is...Uh...pretty competitive. (Eizo's reference version, if we believe the apple's nomenclature on the XDR, and want to compare is, $30k+.)

===

Apple HAS NO HIGHER END MACHINE !!!! This ThreadRipper Single-CPU machine BY ITSELF BLOWS AWAY this NEW Apple!

If I REALLY WANT to make the ULTIMATE KILLER SUPERCOMPUTER, then I put in a Dual CPU AMD EPYC "Rome" chip motherboard with 64 cores and 128 threads for EACH CPU so I now have 128 Cores and 256 Threads. Then I add EIGHT TERABYTES of DDR4 System RAM (each CPU gets 4 Terabytes of RAM).

I can then get an DELL/EMC/Isilon Petabyte Array which allows me to put 128 of
the Seagate 60 terabyte SSD drives for a grand total of 7.68 Petabytes (or 7680 Terabytes)
of FAST local SSD Storage!

NO APPLE COMPUTER can match ANY of my previously specified systems!

ALL the parts can be ordered off Amazon for delivery in about two weeks AND you can
EASILY put all this together yourself in about 8 hours worth of assembly time and testing!

I've done LOTS of systems like this and have ALSO done systems that go
WAAAAAAAAAAAAY BEYOND even these high-end specs!

Once I have the parts, and with my custom Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise and Or Windows Server
install scripts, I can bring up a full working system to these specs in under two hours! (i'm really
experienced at from-the-ground-up system building though)

This latest Apple Pro is a TOY compared to these Windows Systems!
They don't even come CLOSE in terms of raw CPU/GPU horsepower,
storage or peripherals !!!!

---

Upvote 0

---

Actual for under $2500 US, you can get an OUTSTANDING 4K Video and 50 megapixel stills editing monster of a Windows 10 machine that will BLOW AWAY almost any other MAC Pro configured system other than the top-end one with this new 6k monitor!

Try these you-build versions:

CPU AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX Processor (YD299XAZAFWOF)

Motherboard MSI Gaming MEG X399 Creation

Memory Kingston Technology HyperX Predator Black 64GB Kit 3000MHz DDR4 CL15

GPU PNY Quadro P5000 VCQP5000-PB

Case Corsair Obsidian 750D

Boot Drive Samsung 970 EVO 2TB – NVMe PCIe M.2

Storage Drive Barracuda Pro 12Tb

Optical Drive ASUS Blu-Ray Writer

PSU EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3

CPU Cooler Cooler Master ML360 AIO Cooler TR4 Edition

Operating System Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

$LESS than 2500 gets you all this decently high end gear which can EASILY handle 4K video and BIG still image files!

For a GOOD 4K display I suggest THIS $560 US one for it's BIG bang for the 4K resolution graphics editing buck:

It's all MUCH cheaper than the MAC for what you get!

Upvote 0