Update – Canon EOS R5 Mark II Specifications

The number I can find on the interwebs is that the R5 has 15.5ms readout time, the R3 has a 5.5ms readout time, that would put the R5II around 4.3ms. The R3 number matches the flash sync speed of 1/180, 30% improvement gets that up (down?) to 1/235.
Kudos, great footwork on cranking those numbers!

I see 250/130=1.38, so if you were being "honest" and rounding a figure down to be humble, instead of rounding up to a "40%" that you're NOT actually capable of, that 38% improvement might be expected to be simplified as "30%". That means it might do 1/250? It'd make a lot more sense to brag about 1/250 flash sync than 1/235, would you agree?

Upvote 0
That means it might do 1/250?
Even if "only" the 30% improvement for stills would come to reality, then 1/250 should be possible, because actually the R3 has to have a readout time faster than 5.12 ms (because 1000ms / 195fps in high-speed-burst = 5.12 ms) as opposed to the measured 5.5ms.
So if you do the math with 5.12ms then a 30% improvement would be 3,94ms or 1/254

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Even if "only" the 30% improvement for stills would come to reality, then 1/250 should be possible, because actually the R3 has to have a readout time faster than 5.12 ms (because 1000ms / 195fps in high-speed-burst = 5.12 ms) as opposed to the measured 5.5ms.
So if you do the math with 5.12ms then a 30% improvement would be 3,94ms or 1/254
1/250 would be as good as R5 in EFCS mode, which i use. i think that would be a great place to be.

Upvote 0
I think R5ii should be 14bit 30fps, which puts it comfortably better than Z8 and a1. Canon didn't lie with R3.

Z8 is being honest in marketing by declare 14bit RAW 45MP 20fps max burst.

a1 50MP 14bit RAW is not 30fps, it's max 20fps with possibility to drop to 15fps. 30fps is only acheviable by lossy RAW which is 12~13bit.

Upvote 0
Time to do something for the Australian economy...:ROFLMAO:
Actually, Ikelite is American although I would buy from a local distributor.
Aquatech are Australian but are surf housing only.
When a new Ikelite housing is USD1700, it gives you pause for thought together with a new body. The rest of the bits are compatible though.
A nautical housing for R5 is USD6700!!

4 years with R5 and it has been great although a newborn shoot today had problems with eye-AF finding the 10-day old's eye. Asking a lot but still a bit annoying.
An insurance claim would be for the model once the R5 stock is cleared out. Luckily had only 1 claim and that was a decade ago.

Upvote 0
[...]4 years with R5 and it has been great although a newborn shoot today had problems with eye-AF finding the 10-day old's eye. Asking a lot but still a bit annoying.[...]
For me as a hobbyist, the R8 had a much better eye-AF than the R5, it found eyes quicker, more often and kept locked on them a lot better. The 'auto' subject option is a big help as well, forgetting to switch between animals and humans isn't an issue anymore. Visit a zoo with some kids to find out what I mean :)
I'm confident that every body newer than the R8, that has a sensor as fast or faster, will have even better AF. The R7 shows that better AF software with a slower sensor will give very mixed results.

Upvote 0
Personally, I do not think we will see an update to the R3 anymore. If you believe the speculation on why the R3 was announced in the first place, it's clear to see that once the R1 is rolling and we have a much improved R5II- then there probably isn't going to be a demand for an R3, which will go down in the books as a one-and-done thing. I'd definitely like to see it turn into an R1-lite for those of us who want an integrated battery grip without the price tag of the flagship, but when has Canon ever listened to me lol.
And therein lies my dilemma. I agree with you that they R3 may be on the way out but I just bought the R3 a couple days ago because the price was so unbelievable! I haven't taken delivery of it yet though. I really want the R3 but if the R5 Mark II is better... I mean, I don't want to wait for 4 months to get the camera but what should I do? Any thoughts from anyone?

Upvote 0
And therein lies my dilemma. I agree with you that they R3 may be on the way out but I just bought the R3 a couple days ago because the price was so unbelievable! I haven't taken delivery of it yet though. I really want the R3 but if the R5 Mark II is better... I mean, I don't want to wait for 4 months to get the camera but what should I do? Any thoughts from anyone?
Just enjoy the R3. It’s an absolutely incredible camera. I’d happily give up my R5 for the R3 any day of the week.

Even if the R5ii comes out with a few new bells and whistles, it won’t be as robust as the R3, nor have the integrated grip and terrific battery life. I’m not sure about you, but to me those features mean a great deal.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
In what way do you think the R5 II will be better in any meaningful way for you? My guess is won't be as camera tech has reached a high level of maturity. The main difference will be the 24 MP of the R3 vs 45 MP of the R5 II, but you already knew that and it apparently wasn't a factor to choose the R5 II. Your R3 will almost certainly be essentially as good as any camera will be for the next 4 to 6 years, if not more.

Upvote 0
That would not be the first time a 5D plays serious catch up with the previous "1D" line.

I remember the 5D4 (2016) feeling quite an improvement over my 1DX mkI (2012) and having the same AF. The older 1 series retained better viewfinder and 12fps vs 7fps, and its form factor of course, but still the 5D felt better in every other metric. It also offered much more MP (30) than the 1DX mkI (18) or the mkII (20) released the same year.

So if rumored specs are confirmed for both cameras, it will feel quite similar to the 5D4 vs 1Dx II offer back in 2016 to me.

Go back even further. The 5D Mark III was the real replacement for the 1Ds Mark III when Canon said they "combined" the APS-H 1D speedster and the higher resolution FF 1Ds series into the lower megapixel FF 1D X.

It's no coincidence that the 5D Mark III got a 1-series level AF system (the PDAF array was the same part # for the 1D X and the 5D Mark III - the only differences were in each camera's respective firmware), compared to the 5D Mark II's barely better than consumer level AF system, or that the 5D Mark III had slightly higher resolution than the 1Ds Mark III, or that the 5D Mark III was introduced at the same time that the 1Ds Mark III was discontinued.

• Love
Upvote 0