Update – Canon EOS R5 Mark II Specifications

"……but have to be a bit vague and not divulge exact claimed numbers."
So detailed specifications are already revealed and it looks like our canonrumors guy got a gag order.
In a word, R5M2 is on its way! In the meantime I'm looking forward to more news about a possible R6M3 next.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
As far as the rolling shutter speed that we have reported, we do have the exact number but that could get someone in trouble. It would also be the manufacturer claim.

We don't know if it's for video or stills at this time. If anyone knows a reputable source that tests rolling shutter for stills, please let us know.

For the moment, we trust CineD on the video side of things. The R3 shows a readout speed of 9.5ms, the EOS R5/R5 C 15.5ms. For a competitor reference, the Z8 shows 14.5ms. We don't know at this time how those speeds correlate to stills shooting.
Canon lists the flash sync speed in ES for the R3 at 1/180s, so the rolling shutter in stills has the be less than 5.5ms.
Also consider the 195fps burst mode, 9.5ms would limit that to 105fps.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Canon lists the flash sync speed in ES for the R3 at 1/180s, so the rolling shutter in stills has the be less than 5.5ms.
Also consider the 195fps burst mode, 9.5ms would limit that to 105fps.

I think the number I have is related to video, because they specifically mentioned that it's faster than the R3.

I shall look to see if there's a consistent correlation between ES and video numbers.

Upvote 0
with eye controlled AF and still/video switch, it looks unlikely that the button placement etc will be similar enough to the R5 to use the same underwater housing :-(

Definitely not.

I always use old bodies in mine... I will blow a gasket at some point....

For now, I have only dropped cameras never to be seen again.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Both the eye controlled AF and tiltable viewfinder patent applications have R5 type bodies. Can eye controlled AF be combined with a tiltable viewfinder?
Given the size of the R3’s viewfinder, I suspect that combining eye controlled AF with a tiltable viewfinder will result in a large viewfinder.

Upvote 0
The R5 II sounds like it could make the R3 redundant, after adding a battery grip.
That would not be the first time a 5D plays serious catch up with the previous "1D" line.

I remember the 5D4 (2016) feeling quite an improvement over my 1DX mkI (2012) and having the same AF. The older 1 series retained better viewfinder and 12fps vs 7fps, and its form factor of course, but still the 5D felt better in every other metric. It also offered much more MP (30) than the 1DX mkI (18) or the mkII (20) released the same year.

So if rumored specs are confirmed for both cameras, it will feel quite similar to the 5D4 vs 1Dx II offer back in 2016 to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The number I can find on the interwebs is that the R5 has 15.5ms readout time, the R3 has a 5.5ms readout time, that would put the R5II around 4.3ms. The R3 number matches the flash sync speed of 1/180, 30% improvement gets that up (down?) to 1/235.

The 30fps is a slight let down, I really hoped it would beat the 40fps my R8 can do. But 30fps at 14-bit would still be a massive improvement over the R5!
R8 R6ii is half of R5ii MP, and still retains 30fps without caveats like cheeky Sony a1. It's not that bad.

Upvote 0
Did Canon ever release a camera with a vertical-framing grip that wasn't a 1, until the R3?

It's possible they wanted to release a pro body, and didn't feel they had the technology ready to release something called a 1 at that point. Remember Covid was a headache for everyone and screwed up everything in those times. So they decided to do like they did with the EOS-3 around 1999, make a tweeny between the two normal steps.

So it seems some are thinking the R3 was literally going to be labeled R1, then at the last second they realized it wouldn't stack up and ran up a lot of R3 badging and did a global search and replace in the documentation. I don't think anyone can disprove that, or prove that (no photo of a trash can full of R1 badges has shown up by now so such proof probably doesn't exist) but it's not the only possibility.

What's also a possibility is that they had something grander in mind for R1, that required things that they saw simply wouldn't be ready, perhaps AI-related. (The idea of figuring out which player is nearest a ball and focusing on that person for instance. Or are any cameras able to be shown "Trump" and know to focus on "Trump" or similar? Or the sensor they patented around 2020 that would have no rolling shutter, electronic ND and a mode to double DR.) (I still expect there are things about the coming R1 that are under-rumored because they're too hard to explain, like this.) (And the issue may have been their internal R&D, or perhaps, CPU from vendor that could actually run the software fast enough, etc.) Anyway, they might have realized in late 2020 that there was really no hope of getting their planned feature set complete, and therefore went back a half-step to R3 to make a camera that many pros would love. In other words, the R3 may not be a camera they were planning on calling an R1, but rather, a back-up plan if they couldn't get all the features they wanted for an R1.
I think Canon's definition of "Pro" is very different to what the market for "Pro" is. In Canon's thinking it really means "press or agency photographer" not landscape, wedding, photojornalist, wildlife, portraiture, studio etc photographer.
The press / agency photograper is 1D/R3 all the way, all day long. One cam per lens covering the range of 11mm through to 300-600mm. However all the other photograpers are better served with 5D/R5/R6 cams and they are in more hands of professional photographers than the 1D/R3 series.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I think the number I have is related to video, because they specifically mentioned that it's faster than the R3.

I shall look to see if there's a consistent correlation between ES and video numbers.
I was just thinking that saying “30% better than the R3” and “4 times faster than the R5” are the same thing, but the latter illustrates 4 years of sensor development better :)

Upvote 0