*UPDATE 2* Canon EOS 60D Specs [CR2.5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

muteteh

Re: Canon EOS 60D Specs [CR2.5]

J said:
muteteh said:
but over the past decade Canon has release roughly a new kit lens a year, so I think there's place for hope.

I'm not questioning the claim, but mind listing off a brief timeline? I'm kind of curious about the kit lens history.

Go to http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/Canon_new_lenses.html and role down to the big lenses table. Note about half those kit lenses are versions of the EF-S 18-55mm [I/II, USM, IS].

Upvote 0
C

cdpage

flip screen on an SLR? aside from make the camera bigger and heavier what good is that? its an SLR!!!

? will it have an internal flash transmitter? that would be great. rather than using my Opus hot shoe. does the T2i have that?

I'm looking to buy a T2i for me, and maybe upgrade the 40D at my work to a 7D... but if the 60D makes any sense i may go that route instead, but by the sounds of it this is just a good reason to push the price of the T2i down some :)

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

No surprises here. This was always going to be a camera built to a price point. A step up from the Rebel but not enough to undercut the 7D. Bigger surprise is that anyone thought it would be otherwise.

I'm on my way back from the Cartier-Bresson exhibit in Chicago. Great reminder that great pictures don't have to be grain-free and tack sharp.

Heck he didn't even bother to spot his prints.

Upvote 0

J

Jul 21, 2010

muteteh, many thanks for the link. I've been looking for an at-a-glance timeline like that for a while. It was most enlightening. I wonder what this year's EF-S will be?

Also, the Canon museum is a site that I easily forget exists. :p

cdpage, T2i does not have internal flash commander. Only 7D for now.

The greedy part of me wishes the 60D really just has gimmicks added, specifically flipscreen and flash commander. Then Canon will lose enthusiast sales and will drop their prices to get volume. Perfect for vultures. ;)

Upvote 0

Overall this feature set seem to impress no one :)
I would add that on this picture of 60D it's clear that there is no DOF button (or at least it's in a different place). I can't believe that 7D and 550D have DOF button and 60 doesn't.
Another bad news - it's clear from this a previous pictures that the side connector compartment is 1-row, like 550D. They cleary couldn't fit all 5 connectors in that row. The Mic and HDMI text were visible on http://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/60d1.jpg. Canon would never remove AV digital out and remote connectors, so it's again 550D-sh - the external flash connector that's missing.

So we have 550D with flipscreen and LCD-top screen. If all the specs are true then I would never upgrade from 40D to 60D - at least only for one reason - this is NOT an upgrade in a single aspect. Why don't Canon call it 600D?

Upvote 0
C

Cobalt720

Well, im not mad, just disappointed... Now I have to consider the Nikon D7000 over this 60d. I mean, I've always loved canon, but come on... the Nikon D7000 is gonna be sick and the new 24-120 lens is NASTY! IDK tho, if I did go to Nikon, should I get the 28-300 ($1,049) or the 24-120 ($1,299). Let me know what you guys think... and yes, I would get body only. If Canon comes around and launches something better then this, I might reconsider. Just so you know, I did not want to buy a 550d, so I won't buy the 60d because they are just too damn similar.

Upvote 0
Gaaarbage.

Given this event, should Canon just throw in the damn towel? They've been floundering since 1D3, 1Ds3, and the 50D; they've had time enough and resources enough to retake superiority from Nikon.

Meanwhile, the Nikon D7000 will add another stop of ISO performance...

Seriously, I regret deeply that I did not buy a D90 and jump on the Nikon wagon; sure, Canon has slightly better resolution at low-ISOs, but Nikon <--- dynamic range, very high ISO performance on the D3s, cheaper budget lenses (you don't have to pay for a lens hood on top of it!), better crop lenses (35mm prime, instead of fitting a .55x converter to reduce image quality on a 50mm 1.8, better wide angle crop lenses)...

I just can't see where people on the Nikon side would be jealous of Canon equipment. You get 50% more MP on the 5D2 and 7D/60D/550D, but that's it. You throw in high dynamic range at ISO 100 and you get banding.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
Canon's marketing guy has done a great job on the 60D. They baically force us to buy the more expensive 7D or buy the mass production high volume( more total profit) 550D. The 6OD by itself without comparing with 7D or 550D is okay. But with only about $300 less than the 7D, the 60D becomes an over priced plastic camera with a lot less feature than the 7D. It makes the 7D becomes more attractive. With a price about $500 above the 550D, the 60D becomes an over priced plastic camera that does not have a lot more feature than the 550D. That makes the 550D looks like a bargain. So the 60D is serving its purpose for Canon, not customers like us.

Upvote 0
T

that1guy

Cobalt720 said:
Well, im not mad, just disappointed... Now I have to consider the Nikon D7000 over this 60d. I mean, I've always loved canon, but come on... the Nikon D7000 is gonna be sick and the new 24-120 lens is NASTY! IDK tho, if I did go to Nikon, should I get the 28-300 ($1,049) or the 24-120 ($1,299). Let me know what you guys think... and yes, I would get body only. If Canon comes around and launches something better then this, I might reconsider. Just so you know, I did not want to buy a 550d, so I won't buy the 60d because they are just too damn similar.

Definitely the 24-120. I am actually pretty jealous of that lens. It is the only Nikon (besides the 14-24)that I am jealous of. Enjoy your new gear!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.