*UPDATE 2* Canon EOS 60D Specs [CR2.5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

roger

unruled said:
JayKay: ofcourse its 1:1. When is the last time in electronics that you saw otherwise?

roger: I'd never trade in my 40d for this 60d. That would be a downgrade (for me personally).
If i were you I'd jump to 7d or 5d if anythingm, unless you want something lighter.
Of cause it's a downgrade. But it's what I need, than why not?

More pixels, better ISO, better LCD, and most importantly, video. Magnesium body is good, but it's not a must. All in a smaller, lighter package.

When 7D came out, people said: "It's just a D300, only two years later." When 5D2 came out, they said: "The same AF as 5D? What a piece of junk." Look where they are now.

Upvote 0
U

unruled

Jay-Kay said:
Would it be profitable to buy it oversea from US? (I live in Germany)

If you were planning a holiday to the US, then it might save you a little, but that really depends more on the strength of the euro (or weakness of the $) than anything else. Right now the euro is pretty weak, so there's little incentive for that. I personally wouldn't bother unless the exchange rate changes in our favour (I'm in NL).

You may want to crosscheck prices in dutch webshops at www.tweakers.net/pricewatch (and just type in the model name. 60d is not listed yet though).

Upvote 0
Seriously? If Canon was smart, they'd package their newest sensors on their cheapest models, not on their most expensive models. The 60D should have been a competitor for the D7000/D95, but from the data provided it soudns like it'll be outclassed by the D90 successor.

The trick is, if you put your newest sensors on your budget models, you'll force your pros and "enthusiasts" to spend money buying the budget models, because they need (want, in the latter case), the best high ISO / picture quality. Once you have the bugs worked out of the sensor, you re-release with better featuresets, like AF, or dual DIGICs, 14-bit processing, etc... In this case, because the pros need those features, and the enthusiasts have too much money, they will not only buy your budget models, they'll buy your pro models as well, paying a premium for technology "preview" costs.

Everything wrong with the 60D could have been negated simply by putting on a new sensor with 1-stop gain over the 7D. It would have kept Canon in the game, no matter how the D95/D7000 turns out; if it has worse adjacent features, well, cut the prices somewhat, the xxD line is no longer an enthusiast camera but a budget enthusiast camera.

Upvote 0
G

gkreis

J said:
LukeS said:
AF microadjust: No

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Um, wow. As if it wasn't fail enough I suppose.

At least it has my flash commander. But only 1 Speedlite? Wow. Total fail.

I know. This is infuriating. I NEVER would have imagined they would have pulled this... I'd have been all over the 7D if there wasn't so much controversy over its sensor. Too much to spend on a camera that might really disappoint with soft images. (I know some sites show sharp ones, but others show soft ones. I want my camera upgrade to have pretty solid kudos all around.)

Maybe it will grow on me, but this looks like the ugly duckling from a union of the 7D and 550D. What a mess.... Did they do focus groups or other surveys to see how folks would react? It is pretty sad when folks with money in hand are groaning at the sheer sight of it. Hard to overcome a bad first impression.

Makes me want to buy a used 40D as my second camera (to keep my other 40D company) and put the money in a nice lens. BUT, if this is the direction Canon continues... do I want get deeper into their product line?

Am I nuts for considering other companies?

Upvote 0
U

unexposure

unruled said:
Jay-Kay said:
Would it be profitable to buy it oversea from US? (I live in Germany)

If you were planning a holiday to the US, then it might save you a little, but that really depends more on the strength of the euro (or weakness of the $) than anything else. Right now the euro is pretty weak, so there's little incentive for that. I personally wouldn't bother unless the exchange rate changes in our favour (I'm in NL).

You may want to crosscheck prices in dutch webshops at www.tweakers.net/pricewatch (and just type in the model name. 60d is not listed yet though).
In NL, Konijnenberg sells the 60d for 1095€. ( http://www.foto-konijnenberg.nl/product/1515028/canon_eos_60d_body.html )

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
60D by itself is a good camera. However, Canon should not call it a 60D. people expect a lot from the X0D camera ( including me). That is the main reasonj for all the complains. If you look at it from a price point of view. You pay $300 more than the T2i. You got a much better ergonomics, better functional control, penta prism, and a flip screen. That sounds like a reasonable deal to me. On the other hand, it is about $450 below the 7D. You will lose the Mg body, micro adjustment, joy stick, faster speed and gain a flip LCD. So is it worth to save the $450?? That is a personal choioce. For me, Neithe option is my choice. So I am just going to stay with my 40D and wait for thr next cmaera from Canon( assuming my 40D will last anothe 2 years).

Upvote 0
G

gkreis

chrome_dude said:
J said:
LukeS said:

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know. This is infuriating. I NEVER would have imagined they would have pulled this... I'd have been all over the 7D if there wasn't so much controversy over its sensor. Too much to spend on a camera that might really disappoint with soft images. (I know some sites show sharp ones, but others show soft ones. I want my camera upgrade to have pretty solid kudos all around.)

Maybe it will grow on me, but this looks like the ugly duckling from a union of the 7D and 550D. What a mess.... Did they do focus groups or other surveys to see how folks would react? It is pretty sad when folks with money in hand are groaning at the sheer sight of it. Hard to overcome a bad first impression.

Makes me want to buy a used 40D as my second camera (to keep my other 40D company) and put the money in a nice lens. BUT, if this is the direction Canon continues... do I want get deeper into their product line?

Maybe if Canon gets more dings, like the one in this review, they will add microadjustment in a firmware update.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E60D/E60DA.HTM

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
chrome_dude said:
J said:
LukeS said:

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If 7D have issue on the sharpness of the picture, do you think that the 60D will not haved similar problem? 7D got a lot of attention when it came out. I doubt that 60D will got as much attention. So we may not see as much opinion as the 7D.

Upvote 0
G

gkreis

Rocky said:
If 7D have issue on the sharpness of the picture, do you think that the 60D will not haved similar problem? 7D got a lot of attention when it came out. I doubt that 60D will got as much attention. So we may not see as much opinion as the 7D.

I was hoping it was something like the anti-alias filter and that was solved in the 60D. Actually, I hoping for a different sensor, but I am willing to hold out for the reviews to see if it is an issue.

Now... time to sit back and wait for the reviews...

Upvote 0
G

gkreis

dilbert said:
chrome_dude said:

Did it occur to you that sites which show soft pictures from the 7D are either using the wrong techniques to take photos, not doing post on the properly or need to tune the camera with the micro-focus adjust and are not?

It seems absurd that some cameras take sharp photos and some do not. My money is on all of them being capable of taking sharp photos but unless the photographer is equally capable and skilled, it doesn't happen 100% of the time.

Yes, that occurred to me.

Upvote 0
U

unexposure

dilbert said:
chrome_dude said:

Did it occur to you that sites which show soft pictures from the 7D are either using the wrong techniques to take photos, not doing post on the properly or need to tune the camera with the micro-focus adjust and are not?

It seems absurd that some cameras take sharp photos and some do not. My money is on all of them being capable of taking sharp photos but unless the photographer is equally capable and skilled, it doesn't happen 100% of the time.
this could be an effect created by the lens, rather than the camera I guess.
"Old" (or not so good) lenses do not perform very well regarding resolution - and my guess is, that 18mp are already exeeding maximum resolution of most lenses.
A friend of mine owns the "old" 28-70 f2.8, I own 24-70 f2,8. I will do some testing next days comparing 7d vs. toycam1000d using those two lenses.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.