USD pricing for the Canon EOS R6 Mark II and Canon RF 135mm f/1.8L IS USM has leaked ahead of the imminent announcement

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
For me the 135 is a bit to high.
I love my 135 2.0L. Bought for 700€ years ago. Got a repair for 200€...but works very nice. The only thing I hate is: It only works very slow (fps) with the R6/7. Its on the list for lenses without the full speed of the R5/6.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
As for the 135 f/1.8, an intriguing lens, but I have the EF 135/2 which is an exceptionally good lens as is. It would take a lot to get me to part with it in favor of the new one.
Agreed the EF is still a worthy lens, but the lack of weather resistance and IS are significant weaknesses. I imagine the optics will be improved after 26 years, too, so I will be sorely tempted to pick one up.

Upvote 0
I currently have the a7iv with a couple gm lenses. However, I hate sony's ibis and color science. I would get the R6 II in a heartbeat if it doesn't overheat, it has aperture priority for video which the current R6 lacks, switch or knob to go easily from video to photo like the Nikon z6, being able to save custom video and picture modes like the A7iv, and 10 bit 4.2.2 all -i video in standard mode like the a7iv. They also need to come out with a RF 35mm 1.4 lens. 1.2 is unnecessary for 35mm focal length and will make it a bazooka.

Upvote 0
Well if the R6mk2 has a 24mp sensor then Canon have 2 options:
Create a entirely new sensor with all the associated cost such as design, testing, fabrication, firmware development and setting up a new production line. A process that would cost millions and take many months if not years.
Or:
Just use the existing 24mp R3 sensor which has almost no upfront costs other than to expand the capacity of an existing production line. This also cuts development time massively. Then just limit features in firmware.

In pretty sure Canon would just go for option B
There's another option there. They could do something similar to what Sony did in the A7iii where they reused the sensor design of the A9 but without the stacked DRAM layer. I think it's likely too though that it will be the R3 sensor. Afterall, they did use the 1DXiii sensor in the original R6.

Upvote 0

notalchymy

Canon R6 & R6 Mkii
Jul 27, 2022
Not sure why y'all are expecting a stacked sensor in the first place. The R6 is Canon's two thousand something dollar full frame camera. It's main competition is the a7iv and the Z6ii (iii). They are not going to look too dissimilar from each other i.e. not stacked sensor.

Full frame stacked sensors is a premium feature. The only way a full frame stacked sensor will make it's way down the product lineup is when there's a new tech at the top becoming the new premium feature, making stacked sensors "old tech" and then moving downwards to the lower tier bodies.
This and Z6 ii and R3 have Cf Express cards for the faster readout? I think its unlikely for a stacked sensor with just SD Card slots?

Upvote 0
Interesting that we didn’t see the current R6 discounted in Canon’s current sales.
There is a 300 € cash back discount on the R6 in Germany at the moment.
If the announcement is within the next weeks it might get a discount in addition to the cash back. I figure the announcement is days, 2 weeks at most, away because the price has already leaked.

Upvote 0

reisi007

CR Pro
Aug 5, 2020
This and Z6 ii and R3 have Cf Express cards for the faster readout? I think its unlikely for a stacked sensor with just SD Card slots?

Well, less fps and you are good to go with SD... The buffer / write speed of the R7 is enough for 30 FPS burst, 20 FPS electronically.... Good enough for a 24 MP sensor I guess ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I write RAW to both CFe and SD on my R3, and I haven’t had issues in my real-world use. But I don’t shoot video with my R3 and I don’t mash down the shutter button until my finger gets tired.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Well if the R6mk2 has a 24mp sensor then Canon have 2 options:
Create a entirely new sensor with all the associated cost such as design, testing, fabrication, firmware development and setting up a new production line. A process that would cost millions and take many months if not years.
Or:
Just use the existing 24mp R3 sensor which has almost no upfront costs other than to expand the capacity of an existing production line. This also cuts development time massively. Then just limit features in firmware.

In pretty sure Canon would just go for option B
Actually stacked sensored devices are standard, and not premium at all. Only camera affictionados and non tech savy persons believe that stacked sensor are anything but the defacto 2022 standard. Any other sensor in a high end device over $1500 is simply outdated and obsolete technology. Waste your money at your leisure. I will Never purchase another new high end device with a basic plain BSI CMOS.
Not with FF sensor
Its actually cheaper to manufacture stacked sensors. The fabrication plants are already configured to manufacture them because thats exactly what they produce regularly. SOCs and stacked image sensors. Also, all layers do not have to be fabbed at the same time or from the same manufacturing facility. Stacked sensors are CHEAPER to manufacture than the older BSI CMOS sensors.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
As for the 135 f/1.8, an intriguing lens, but I have the EF 135/2 which is an exceptionally good lens as is. It would take a lot to get me to part with it in favor of the new one.
EF 135/2 been in my radar for many years but never really had a chance to get it. I have RF 70-200/2.8 and Samyang 85/1.4. I shoot mostly portrait of my daughter/newphew and niece. Do you think EF 135/2 is worth it on top of those 2 lenses?

Upvote 0