USD pricing for the Canon EOS R6 Mark II and Canon RF 135mm f/1.8L IS USM has leaked ahead of the imminent announcement

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
A lot of complete misunderstanding here about the stacked sensor architecture and performance requirements. It needs no external storage device to achieve its high performance readout nor is its manufacturing process any more costlier than the older BSI CMOS devices. Actually due to facilities producing them currently in droves, the processing cost is relatively cheaper. And even less if layers are produced separately by different facilities.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Will Canon discontinue the R6 or move it down to the 1800-2000 usd price bracket - still a great camera for many, stills and video?
Canon usually discontinues a camera once a successor is released. I could imagine though Canon would keep the R6 around until the mkii is available in larger numbers.

Keeping the R6 and moving down from a price point only makes sense if they're a big gap spec wise between the cameras. Unless the sensor is the stacked BSI sensor from the R3, I don't see that in this case.

Furthermore, if Canon releases the R8 as speculated there is no reason and room to keep the original R6 in the line-up.

Consider of course, there is stock of the R6, so it will be available for quite a while. Heck, even the original 6d can still be bought as a "new camera".

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
These specs look good. As well
As the price. The R6II will have a 24 mp BSI sensor. I think that the only thing I wish was it had a 30-32 MP sensor but another rumor out there is the forthcoming R8 will be have a 30 MP sensor. Not BSI but will have IBIS. This is probably the camera that interests me the most because I am a photographer only. Do not shoot any video.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
A lot of complete misunderstanding here about the stacked sensor architecture and performance requirements. It needs no external storage device to achieve its high performance readout nor is its manufacturing process any more costlier than the older BSI CMOS devices.
Isn't BSI expensive itself?

Isn't BSI (without stacking) an overkill for a 6 µm pixel pitch device?

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
Everyone talking about the sensor or the 135. A few about the speedlite. But what's a $100 feature that leads to a whole second model that aids in stop motion video?
This is not new... the R & RP could be configured with the Stop Motion Firmware too.

Here's what was said in the store page on those previous cameras...
"Get ready to create Stop Motion Animation with Canons EOS R with Stop Motion Animation firmware. The EOS R with Stop Motion Animation firmware increases the live view resolution allowing the Animator to confirm focus within a larger frame when utilized with Dragonframe stop motion software."

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The most interesting feature of this camera to me is the "digital teleconverter" - AFAIK this is the first time that such a feature has been incorporated into a *professional-level* camera. Perhaps Canon have some software "AI" algorithm that could produce results equal to those obtained by an optical converter?

Upvote 0
The most interesting feature of this camera to me is the "digital teleconverter" - AFAIK this is the first time that such a feature has been incorporated into a *professional-level* camera. Perhaps Canon have some software "AI" algorithm that could produce results equal to those obtained by an optical converter?
Would this be like the Clear Image zoom feature that Sony has in their cameras?

Upvote 0

Johnw

EOS R8
Oct 10, 2020

Well you have always been able to shoot in crop mode which is similar to having a 1.6x optical TC.

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
EF 135/2 been in my radar for many years but never really had a chance to get it. I have RF 70-200/2.8 and Samyang 85/1.4. I shoot mostly portrait of my daughter/newphew and niece. Do you think EF 135/2 is worth it on top of those 2 lenses?
I think you will find the difference between 135 and the 70-200 at the same focal length to be minimal. 70-200 is more flexible so you can zoom in or out better on the kids.

The only reason I have 135 is because i got it for $460usd and I personally prefer using lighter primes than zooms (the EF 70-200 is 2x the weight). The RF 70-200 is only 25% heavier (with adapter taken into account) so it is a lot better in that sense.

I rotate between 35, 50, 85, and 135 L primes, use just one lens per outing with kids and try to get good compositions given the fov limitations. Keeps gear light, mind sharp, and body active with the foot zooms.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Well you have always been able to shoot in crop mode which is similar to having a 1.6x optical TC.
Shooting in crop mode means you get a smaller image (less megapixels). If you want/need a high megapixel image, you then have to use a program such as Topaz Gigapixel, which uses advanced interpolation methods to create "false detail" and fill in the "missing" data.

A "digital teleconverter" would produce a full frame image. Conventional interpolation methods result in "false detail" and artefacts such as "jaggies". It's possible that Canon could be using advanced in-camera software similar to Gigapixel, which might produce sharper and more detailed results than those obtained by optical converters. Only time will tell.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
This is not new... the R & RP could be configured with the Stop Motion Firmware too.

Here's what was said in the store page on those previous cameras...
"Get ready to create Stop Motion Animation with Canons EOS R with Stop Motion Animation firmware. The EOS R with Stop Motion Animation firmware increases the live view resolution allowing the Animator to confirm focus within a larger frame when utilized with Dragonframe stop motion software."
But if that's the case, and it's simply a firmware thing, why two models at different price points? I suppose they did that with the 5DIV and 5DIV with c-log upgrade, but that seemed more like a product correction not a here's an model variant to buy. Is the hundred dollar difference going to impact sales that dramatically that if they just had all R6II's have it included that it would significantly impact sales? I assume they're not losing money by including third party Dragonframe software, and the price increase helps cover the software inclusion if that's what the cost difference is about.

I'm pretty ignorant to what the stop motion market is like, and why it would necessitate this special R6II-StopMotion alongside R6II-Regular, rather than go the simple route and just make one R6II. A special EOS-Ra that has a physical difference for a specific group makes sense to me. Firmware only confuses me.

Upvote 0

binary

EOS R6
Nov 23, 2020
Not sure why y'all are expecting a stacked sensor in the first place. The R6 is Canon's two thousand something dollar full frame camera. It's main competition is the a7iv and the Z6ii (iii). They are not going to look too dissimilar from each other i.e. not stacked sensor.

Full frame stacked sensors is a premium feature. The only way a full frame stacked sensor will make it's way down the product lineup is when there's a new tech at the top becoming the new premium feature, making stacked sensors "old tech" and then moving downwards to the lower tier bodies.
Canon and Nikon are basically responsible for stagnation in camera industry for many years. If it wasn't for hard offensive from Sony and A7 III we would probably still using DSLR cameras with very minor upgrades every 2-4 years. I think we have right to expect innovation and better cameras In every segment. I definitely expecting stacked sensor otherwise these rumoured specs reminds me of the old "good" Canon with minor upgrades.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
This guy indicates his "validated and trusted source" confirmed R6 II will have a BSI stacked sensor. A full-frame stacked sensor at a cost less than Fuji's stacked sensor X-H2S? Is that going to happen?
This guy is Sandy Rivers and just reads CanonRumors like the rest of us.
1667074038611.png

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Shooting in crop mode means you get a smaller image (less megapixels). If you want/need a high megapixel image, you then have to use a program such as Topaz Gigapixel, which uses advanced interpolation methods to create "false detail" and fill in the "missing" data.

A "digital teleconverter" would produce a full frame image. Conventional interpolation methods result in "false detail" and artefacts such as "jaggies". It's possible that Canon could be using advanced in-camera software similar to Gigapixel, which might produce sharper and more detailed results than those obtained by optical converters. Only time will tell.
It's becoming remarkable what we can with software. A couple of days ago I was out with the R7 and RF 100-400mm and took a quick shot of a tiny bird far away, which was just good enough to identify it as a Meadow Pipit. Its image is only 203 px wide. Topaz AI "enhance" enlarges it to 812 px, somewhat plasticky, but it's the taste of things to come.

3R3A1726-DxO_Meadow_pipit-full_size_small.jpg3R3A1726-DxO_Meadow_pipit.jpg3R3A1726-DxO_Meadow_pipit-topaz-enhance.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
The entrance pupil should be 135mm/1.8=75mm. So, it can't be 72mm.
On the other hand, the old 135mm/2.0 (still love mine!) had an entrance pupil of 67.5 and 72mm filter, a 7% difference, so I'd expect >80mm (probably 82mm) for the 135/1.8 on that basis.

On the other hand reducing the cat's effect for corner out-of-focus highlights would be nice but would generally require a yet greater front element size. So let me say that if it IS bigger than 82mm, you'll be glad of it!

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014

Digital teleconverter simply means a 1.6x or 1.8x crop at 4K resolution video or something similar. Don't expect anything fancy or more than that. Similar feature is in many consumer Canon cameras.

Upvote 0