Vehicle AF and more coming to the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 in December firmware update

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Birds will think it’s gunfire and fly directly away from you, and while people like BIF images, BBIF (bird butt in flight) images are far less popular?

Just an hypothesis… ;) :geek:
Ha! Yeah because the mechanical shutter of the R5 is Soooo much louder than the "silent mode" of any DSLR ever.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
What's wrong with mechanical shutter?

Not much, but it is distracting if you want silence as a default, just means more switching around as needed.

Im sure there are reasons why it hasnt happened and as always there are workarounds, but it makes life easier, particularly if you change modes back and forth.

The 7D2 has the option to set the actual shooting rate, but simply having the same options as for mechanical would probably cover most peoples issues, ie single, slow, H, H+. Its a consistency thing if nothing else.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Not the "Same principle." If every time you touched your accelerator, NO MATTER HOW LIGHTLY, the car leapt to 180 mph, your analogy would be valid. Imagine trying to park the car!

I can't believe anybody who has had the R5 hasn't tried light, quick bursts in electronic shutter mode. But it sure takes a lot of practice, and being aware, while really focused on wildlife or athletes, of how many images are being collected in such a short time. And one must be very careful in all the "pulsing" or "feathering," or whatever technique is used, not to be jerking the camera. When an AF point is on one athlete in a cluster of athletes fighting for a soccer ball, or scrambling down the field for the ball, it would wonderful to not worry about it.

Of course 20 fps can be managed to an extent. But why imply that real, or skilled (or whatever the standard is) photographers shouldn't be asking for a slower option? It's a pretty common wish on this and other forums.

Also, "pulsing" the shutter or whatever doesn't really accomplish the same thing as a slower frame rate. It's really not a good substitution for certain situations with slower moving action/subjects. I'm a wedding photographer, people are moving or changing expressions as quickly sometimes but it's not like shooting a bird flapping its wings or fast moving sports. Even if I can control my press at 20fps to only get three shots, they are so close together that I usually will just end up with three nearly identical images. Imagine if something is happening at a wedding and I shoot through a moment for 1 second at 20fps... I go through the files and find that the 1st, 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th frames are all significantly different from each other. The 2nd shot is not significantly different than the 1st, and the 17th is not significantly different than the 16th, etc. Of those, let's say the 12th is the best image with the peak expression on my subject's face. Well, if I had been shooting at 5 fps I would have ended up with the same result (5 photos that were significantly different with one being the stand out) and not had to sort through the other 15 photos or let them take up space on my hard drive, etc. On the other hand, if I try to consciously tap the shutter 5 discrete times in the space of one second... well, that's impossible.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Regarding ES vs all the rest, apparently some participants in this thread are longing for a camera that is only silent.

Now as cool as it is to shoot at 20 fps and not put wear and tear on the shutter mechanism, and to be stealthy, the R5 was never marketed as a Global Shutter body. So, while I'd like to see some options for the ES bursts, I still consider the R5 one of the best cameras ever built, and, without any doubt, the best I've ever owned.

(And even if we did have ES burst options, we'd still have the pesky problems of rolling-shutter distortion, right?)

Back to the firmware improvements: Better AF? Thank you, Canon. Incredible already. Reducing the annoying jerking and blackening in low-light, contrasty scenes? Thanks again!

I bought a great camera, and Canon has continued to improve it. I can't say this has happened with too many other products I've bought. (Though I did bring my Odyssey in for some kind of service to the middle seats. Didn't get involved enough to understand what they were doing...)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Regarding ES vs all the rest, apparently some participants in this thread are longing for a camera that is only silent.

Now as cool as it is to shoot at 20 fps and not put wear and tear on the shutter mechanism, and to be stealthy, the R5 was never marketed as a Global Shutter body. So, while I'd like to see some options for the ES bursts, I still consider the R5 one of the best cameras ever built, and, without any doubt, the best I've ever owned.

(And even if we did have ES burst options, we'd still have the pesky problems of rolling-shutter distortion, right?)

Back to the firmware improvements: Better AF? Thank you, Canon. Incredible already. Reducing the annoying jerking and blackening in low-light, contrasty scenes? Thanks again!

I bought a great camera, and Canon has continued to improve it. I can't say this has happened with too many other products I've bought. (Though I did bring my Odyssey in for some kind of service to the middle seats. Didn't get involved enough to understand what they were doing...)
So true! Remember as well that Canon is adding these features and creating parity with their new and more expensive R3. The only thing that bothers me about the R5 is the video overheating in 4k... I'm not sure I 100% believe that. But hey, it could be true I just don't understand why the EOS R can shoot 4k forever but the R5 can't. I'm not complaining I'm fine with it because it works fine for me right now. I have had the "overheat" indicator flashing a couple of times, it's a little distressing but it never went to full shutdown... No way would I buy an R5c though, it's a dumb idea. Why would any video person get the R5c over the C70?? The C70 is already a great value. No matter what they do to the R5c it's never gonna have the features the C70 has. C70 is straight up awesome, while an R5c is just an empty shell for 8k as far as video goes.

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012

Nice to have rather than longing for me. Coming from the R where it did work as discussed, it was just a surprise to find the more expensive version without it.

Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
Not enough people are requesting the option yet. Exactly what advantage is gained by lower FPS using electronic shutter? I have yet to encounter a situation that I need it.
Useful for photographing wildlife where you don't spook them with a noisey shutter but don't have to take 20 shots just to have a the noise free electronic shutter. 5-10-20 fps options would be ideal and would cover all bases. Also would be helpful for wedding photogs in a church who wanted a silent shutter but didn't need 20 fps of the ring ceremony LOL!
Catherine

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
This is all good, but I want:
- unlimited video recording times;
- customization of Q and/or M-Fn menus, there are some settings that I would like to see there.
Yeah, there are only two or three things on the Q menu that I actually use somewhat regularly. It’s crazy that you can’t customize it, even Nikon let’s you do that with their i-menu.

Upvote 0

jdavidse

R5
CR Pro
Sep 13, 2012
Shooting w/ electronic shutter in a church is a really bad idea due to banding.
Useful for photographing wildlife where you don't spook them with a noisey shutter but don't have to take 20 shots just to have a the noise free electronic shutter. 5-10-20 fps options would be ideal and would cover all bases. Also would be helpful for wedding photogs in a church who wanted a silent shutter but didn't need 20 fps of the ring ceremony LOL!
Catherine

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
With some birds and wildlife situations you want a silent shutter which only comes with the 20 fps option
Well yes, but I was responding to someone who specifically mentioned birds in flight. I have never been in a situation where I am shooting birds in flight, where a silent shutter would make any difference. In fact I can't think of a case where I've ever seen a bird in flight react to a shutter, even the booming shutter of a 1D body. Large birds like Cranes and Herons make so much noise that the sound of an electronic shutter is not going to even be heard over the sounds of their wings beating. I'm always shocked by just how loud a swan's wings are when they take off.

I've had hawks take flight while I'm trying to photograph them, but it's seldom the shutter sound that they react to. It's usually just the fact that you've stopped to look at them and point a big lens in their direction. Once in flight, I've never had one react to the shutter.

For a perched bird, yes a silent shutter could be useful, but in that case, it's a lot easier to pump the shutter button.

Plus, it's as though we've totally lost all the skills that we learned with DSLRs. The silent mode of any DSLR is way louder than the mechanical shutter of a mirrorless.

Look, I'm not saying a silent shutter with more than one choice for fps wouldn't be nice, but I also don't see it as an insurmountable problem.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
Look, I'm not saying a silent shutter with more than one choice for fps wouldn't be nice, but I also don't see it as an insurmountable problem.

Not so much nice as a fairly standard feature, so its omission is likely to be due to non-trivial reasons in my view. We all have pet peeves, for some it will be vehicle tracking, for others this.

I mean Ive seen 'ack' and 'dang' in this thread, seems like hardly the stuff of hysteria. One was in all caps I guess.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Not so much nice as a fairly standard feature, so its omission is likely to be due to non-trivial reasons in my view.
The R3 can shoot at 3, 15 or 30 fps with electronic shutter. More likely, Canon simply chose not to include the feature. Like AF point-linked spot metering, it’s a way for them to differentiate between lines.

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
The R3 can shoot at 3, 15 or 30 fps with electronic shutter. More likely, Canon simply chose not to include the feature. Like AF point-linked spot metering, it’s a way for them to differentiate between lines.

But they put it in the R, then released it without on the R5 when the R3 wasn’t out yet. Not a very clear differentiation at this stage, have to wait and see I guess.

Doesn’t really change things much either way, still don’t have it after all.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
So true! Remember as well that Canon is adding these features and creating parity with their new and more expensive R3. The only thing that bothers me about the R5 is the video overheating in 4k... I'm not sure I 100% believe that. But hey, it could be true I just don't understand why the EOS R can shoot 4k forever but the R5 can't.[..]
The line-skipped 4k of the R5, which is about the same quality as the 4k of the R won't overheat. Only the 'HQ' and 100+ fps modes for 4k overheat, and all 8k modes. But if you want R-ish quality 4k, it can do that all day long, with restarts after every 29:59 minutes :)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0