Watch the SIGMA live event

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Sigma will be announcing new product(s) today. They will definitely be announcing a new 50mm f/1.4 ART with Sigma’s first HLA ((High-Response Linear Actuator)) focus motor. SIGMA 50mm F1.4 DG DN|Art The concept of the first-generation SIGMA 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM|Art has been redesigned from scratch. By introducing all the latest technologies, we have achieved

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Not sure how this pertains to Canon users? LOL
What does that mean for Canon users?

a) Sigma are thriving and will be keen to expand their range by launching RF mount lenses as soon as they are able to.

OR

b) Sigma are thriving and selling more than enough lenses in E and L mounts, so they don't need Canon anymore.

Take your pick.

Upvote 0
Apologies as I’m sure it has been discussed ad nauseam but can someone remind me why 3rd parties can’t make a RF mount lens that uses EF protocols? All the EF and 3rd party EF lenses work great with the adapter, can’t they just make an “ef” lens with a built in adapter or was that what the whole cease and desist order was about?

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2021
Apologies as I’m sure it has been discussed ad nauseam but can someone remind me why 3rd parties can’t make a RF mount lens that uses EF protocols? All the EF and 3rd party EF lenses work great with the adapter, can’t they just make an “ef” lens with a built in adapter or was that what the whole cease and desist order was about?
Sigma are waiting on licenses before making any lenses for RF and Z. Until that changes the current situation will continue. One of their UK reps told me as such last year at a trade show.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Based on what has happened with Samyang, Viltrox and Yongnuo, it seems Canon has been able to prevent them selling RF mount lenses with auto focus on the basis of intellectual property infringement. Whetherv anyone will work out a way to get around the intellectual property issues remains to be seen, but if not it looks like there will be third party RF lenses with AF only if Canon decides to grant a licence.

Upvote 0

TonyG

R5
Oct 17, 2022
Toronto
Sigma is doing some pretty impressive and affordable things. If you compare them in the Lens Image Tool on The-Digital-Picture.com, their art lenses seem to have some pretty comparable IQ. Maybe it is something for us to look forward to one day.
I have tried their 85 dg dn art and it really impressed me for its price.
I would assume if the RF mount ever opens up, it wouldn't take much to change the mounting flange and the firmware for it to work with Canons AF since the glass is already designed for the close mirrorless sensor distance.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Based on what has happened with Samyang, Viltrox and Yongnuo, it seems Canon has been able to prevent them selling RF mount lenses with auto focus on the basis of intellectual property infringement. Whetherv anyone will work out a way to get around the intellectual property issues remains to be seen, but if not it looks like there will be third party RF lenses with AF only if Canon decides to grant a licence.
I don't think it's the RF *mount* that is the issue - otherwise Venus Optics (Laowa) would presumably also have been barred from producing their (Manual focus, non-electronic) RF lenses.

The issue, allegedly, is that the RF autofocus protocols would be impinged on. But, as @Docofthewild suggests, it should still be possible for third parties to produce AF lenses using the EF protocols, as they've done for many years, and to simply extend the barrel and incorporate a RF mount. This would effectively be the same as using a third party EF lens via a EF-RF adaptor.

Equally, they could adapt their existing more compact MILC lens designs to fit the RF mount, but use EF protocols, ignoring the extra RF pins. That way, the AF protocols of RF would not be impinged on, and no RF intellectual property would be stolen.

It may simply be that Sigma and Tamron are uncertain of the legalities, and don't want to risk a damaging conflict with the Big Bad Giant, so they'd rather wait until Canon gives their "kind permission".

Meanwhile, they can design a whole range of lenses for Sony and L mount, knowing that if/when Canon releases the protocols and grants licences, they can easily adapt those lenses by updating their firmware and wiring to the appropriate RF pins.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sigma will be announcing new product(s) today. They will definitely be announcing a new 50mm f/1.4 ART with Sigma’s first HLA ((High-Response Linear Actuator)) focus motor. SIGMA 50mm F1.4 DG DN|Art The concept of the first-generation SIGMA 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM|Art has been redesigned from scratch. By introducing all the latest technologies, we have achieved

See full article...
Will there be new Sigma RF lenses?

Upvote 0
It's industry news. I personally find that interesting either way.
Why not take a peek over the fence see how other systems are doing and what pressures they may be exerting on Canon's business decisions. Or not.
I have! Its quite depressing not to have access to any 3rd party AF lenses! When I entered the RF System, Canon had not put this in place yet! I sincerely hope the change their mind about this!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0