Watch the SIGMA live event

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Well they don't because enough people buy Canon and plenty of their users appear not care. I am yet to buy into a FF mount, but I wished I could combine R bodies (amazing AF, handling and controls) with Z lenses (24-120, 14-30, 1.8 primes, and pancakes are all more interesting to me than what basically any RF lens) with access to some of the Tamrons from the E mount. For now my hope is that the Z6 III somehow matches the original R6 in AF performance.

If you haven't bought into FF, then good on you. You have time to survey the landscape and not have to worry about being previously invested.
In that case, in terms of the highest flexibility, it's gonna be sony first and Panasonic second.

I would love to have the latest panny as a second FF body, with access to that wonderful high MP mode, and ability to use glass from everyone.

I'm good with my new R6ii because im coming from a 5d3. But if i didnt have my basic critical glass...nah, i wouldn't go canon.

Good luck out there

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Only Canon-branded memory cards - Yikes! Don't give them any ideas... This would actually be really easy to implement, like chipped batteries.
Well, Sony basically did that for CFe type A cards. There are only a couple of other manufacturers now.

I am not aware of many Sony shooters using them as USHii SD cards can handle all the video modes so the difference is only the buffer clearance speed in the A1. Expensive and low capacity... sounds like the Sony Memory Stick which was licensed by Sony to third parties but lost out to the SD card format within a few years.

Upvote 0
Exactly! Honestly, they could even make it with an ef mount and a 1/4” ef-rf adapter that would just stay on the lens. It wouldn’t function on an actual ef camera so I do wonder if they would open themselves up to liability as they would be clearly making a rf less through a work around.
There is nothing stopping people from "welding" on a R mount adapter onto an EF lens today. I don't get why it has to be a native RF mount for people to buy it - especially as it wouldn't have a control ring or RF AF protocols anyway.

Upvote 0
If you haven't bought into FF, then good on you. You have time to survey the landscape and not have to worry about being previously invested.
In that case, in terms of the highest flexibility, it's gonna be sony first and Panasonic second.

I would love to have the latest panny as a second FF body, with access to that wonderful high MP mode, and ability to use glass from everyone.

I'm good with my new R6ii because im coming from a 5d3. But if i didnt have my basic critical glass...nah, i wouldn't go canon.

Good luck out there
I'm intrigued by your recommendation of Sony/Panasonic.
There are some pros/cons for each system and some missing niche lenses of course but I struggle to understand where Canon has missing gaps from EF/EF-S from Canon/3rd parties and Canon RF lenses. There are a number of people missing the 200-600mm/5.6-6.3 for instance and some Canon pricing (especially in Europe) seems to be unwarranted but lens range overall isn't that much different?
Canon niche lenses like 8-15mm/4, 11-24/4, TS-E, MP-E, 100mm/2.8 (1.4x), cheap telephoto primes etc don't have equivalents as far as I know. Other lenses can be debated for cost/size/weight/quality and yes, there is no RF50mm/1.4 :)

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
You have to wonder if Sigma selling manual focus lenses which just happen to have all of the AF hardware in them (but inactive) could possibly make people a tiny bit suspicious of Sigma's role in your scheme :)
Sigma could say that they already built it in, because they hope to get permission in future.

Upvote 0
There is nothing stopping people from "welding" on a R mount adapter onto an EF lens today. I don't get why it has to be a native RF mount for people to buy it - especially as it wouldn't have a control ring or RF AF protocols anyway.
Except that 3rd parties aren’t releasing new glass on the EF because they are focusing designs on mirror less lenses. I would be very happy if they released new EF glass just using an adapter but that isn’t happening.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
I'm intrigued by your recommendation of Sony/Panasonic.
There are some pros/cons for each system and some missing niche lenses of course but I struggle to understand where Canon has missing gaps from EF/EF-S from Canon/3rd parties and Canon RF lenses. There are a number of people missing the 200-600mm/5.6-6.3 for instance and some Canon pricing (especially in Europe) seems to be unwarranted but lens range overall isn't that much different?
Canon niche lenses like 8-15mm/4, 11-24/4, TS-E, MP-E, 100mm/2.8 (1.4x), cheap telephoto primes etc don't have equivalents as far as I know. Other lenses can be debated for cost/size/weight/quality and yes, there is no RF50mm/1.4 :)
It wasn't my recommendation you were responding to, but ... Yes, particularly with the help of an RF/EF adapter, you can get pretty much anything you might want from Canon. And yes, the RF/EF adapter gives you access to third party lenses. However, third party manufacturers don't seem to be releasing many (any?) new EF lenses, and in any event using EF lenses plus adapter adds to the size and weight of your setup. Whether that increase in size and weight is significant largely comes down to the user (some care, some don't), but having access to newly designed smaller and lighter lenses which don't require an adapter is valuable to some people.

Looking at Sony, there is obviously a wide range of lenses, both Sony and third party, which do not require an adapter. And plenty of the Sony and third party gear is good gear (Canon makes many high quality products but so do others). Looking at Panasonic, the range isn't as broad as for Sony but the L mount alliance does seem to be bearing fruit. And the prices are often better than Canon offers for comparable products. (I realise what people consider comparable products can vary too, eg I consider a 70-200 (or 70-180) f/2.8 without IS as comparable to a 70-200 f/2.8 lens with IS if it will be used on a body with IBIS. No doubt though, some people will say the lens with IS is not directly comparable to a lens without IS.) For example, you can get a Panasonic S5 II plus Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 DN Art lens for under $A5k, while a Canon R6 II plus Canon RF 24-70 f/2.8L IS would be more like $A7k (based on prices I just found online now - there may be better deals out there somewhere). Obviously the gear is not exactly the same so you need to work out the pros and cons of each for your own photography, but the price difference is a big enough to get my attention. And the price difference may well increase as you add more lenses.

Anyway, I do not mean to suggest Canon doesn't make good products, or that anyone shouldn't buy Canon if the Canon system offers what they want. However, for anyone not already invested in Canon (and in fact even for some people who already have some Canon gear), generally speaking I would recommend they at least look hard at Sony and Panasonic, in particular, because of the value proposition, and go with Canon only if Canon offers something they really want or need which the others don't (eg the 28-70 f/2L, they really really prefer Canon's ergonomics, etc) and they are comfortable with the budget required.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
RF and EF mounts have the same diameter. It is 54mm in both cases.

The RF mount is ‘wider’ in the sense that the bits inside the mount, like the electronic contacts, are smaller or repositioned.

As you show in those links, the bajonet size is the same 54mm on both.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The RF mount is ‘wider’ in the sense that the bits inside the mount, like the electronic contacts, are smaller or repositioned.

As you show in those links, the bajonet size is the same 54mm on both.
More accurately, the RF mount is 'taller'. Of course, since the sensor area is a 3:2 rectangle inscribed within that image circle, and the contacts are on the long side of the rectangle that is farther from the edge of the circle, I'm not sure that it matters much that the RF mount is taller.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Something Canon users will be missing out on.

Edit: these modern 50mm lenses are ridiculously big, just otherday I was using my old SMC Pentax-A 50mm 1.4(reversed) and its such a small lens compared to these modern 50mm lenses.
And I'm using my M Summicron 50mm on the EOS R, the Pentax 50mm is huge in comparison ;)

Upvote 0

Dreysi

Canon R3, Sony A7s
Jul 7, 2016
I have! Its quite depressing not to have access to any 3rd party AF lenses! When I entered the RF System, Canon had not put this in place yet! I sincerely hope the change their mind about this!
Depressing is correct word. Same here, i assumed Sigma and Tamron would be a (native) option. Never could have dreamed Canon would do this. It makes me salty. Im not ready to "jump ship" as that takes effort to sell everything but Canon made me an unwilling customer. 4000 per zoom down under, they are dreaming.

Upvote 0