We haven’t forgotten about the Canon EOS R1, and you probably haven’t either [CR2]

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
A friend who shoots for a Gannett owned local newspaper (and who also provides national Gannett coverage for the major college football team in his local paper's hometown) recently had his Canon gear (most of which had been around since before Gannett purchased the newspaper) replaced with Nikon, being told the long-term plan was to go with Sony.
Yes, Gannet has been in the transition to Sony for some time now. The Nikon replacements probably were hand me downs from papers already moved to Sony. That's what they're doing around here. When the Indy Star moved to Sony the smaller Gannet papers around the state got their old Canon equipment. Eventually all Gannet papers will all be Sony.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
One quote the Canon Rumors recently posted was that the R1 will be “jack of all trades, and a master of none. Except that it will be a master of everything.”

Along those lines ,I hypothesize that Canon is working on a BSI stacked sensor along the same lines of the sensor found in the Leica M11. The Leica M11 sensor can output full frame RAW files at either 60 MP/36MP/18MP. I think it would be quite remarkable if Canon did 80 MP/48MP/24 MP range. At the low end the resolution would match the R3. In the middle resolution you could basically have a pixel binned 8K output and for those with the need you would also have 80 MP resolution.

Lastly, this entire post is speculation and my math could be off. Have fun, but looks like 2023 and 2024 are going to be expensive years.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
One quote the Canon Rumors recently posted was that the R1 will be “jack of all trades, and a master of none. Except that it will be a master of everything.”

Along those lines ,I hypothesize that Canon is working on a BSI stacked sensor along the same lines of the sensor found in the Leica M11. The Leica M11 sensor can output full frame RAW files at either 60 MP/36MP/18MP. I think it would be quite remarkable if Canon did 80 MP/48MP/24 MP range. At the low end the resolution would match the R3. In the middle resolution you could basically have a pixel binned 8K output and for those with the need you would also have 80 MP resolution.

Lastly, this entire post is speculation and my math could be off. Have fun, but looks like 2023 and 2024 are going to be expensive years.
This is the direction I think they are moving as well, although you stated it far better than I have.

I do wonder about the 1 series form factor for studio and especially landscape. It tends to be larger than needed for those use cases.

Upvote 0

80/48/24 does not make sense as raw modes, unless 48 and 24 are cropping modes.
For a binning mode, 2x in both horizontal and vertical would make sense, so 80/20/5. Everything else would require a interpolation between neighbouring pixels and would get big frowns from the purists.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
80/48/24 does not make sense as raw modes, unless 48 and 24 are cropping modes.
For a binning mode, 2x in both horizontal and vertical would make sense, so 80/20/5. Everything else would require an interpolation between neighbouring pixels and would get big frowns from the purists.
A lot of people still believe mRAW and sRAW are actually RAW and not debayered, downscaled TIFFs. So the purists would need to be informed purists :)

Upvote 0