We were wrong, all of your Canon mirrorless dreams are likely coming true soon

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
The quick comeback is that Canon is sitting at 49% of ILC units without IBIS and tends to know what it is doing. (I don't say that backhandedly, I"m just pointing out the obvious.)

Canon may believe, or possibly even have market data to back up the following:
(these are theories, I don't present them as fact)
  • IS on lenses is more profitable for Canon
  • IS on lenses lets them keep body prices (i.e. standard production costs) down
  • Lens IS is more effective than IBIS, and that Canon can demonstrate that to consumers -- either in number of stops, the convenience of defeating it / tweaking its performance with a switch on the barrel, etc.
That said, they may roll out IBIS on FF mirrorless and say 'the EVF changes what is needed' and sell that story. We'll see. But Neuro may be right that IBIS isn't coming. EOS M still doesn't have mechanical all-purpose IBIS yet -- just the electronic version for video, ya? :unsure:

- A
Yet the spec list that this thread is about states that the camera has IBIS......

One can not use the logic that a feature has not shown up before to rule out its presence as a new feature...... that’s the thing about new features..... they are new....

One can still use the IS switch on a lens to turn off OIS and IBIS.....

According to Panasonic, OIS works better on longer focal lengths, IBIS on shorter, and a hybrid better than either alone.... why would Canon not follow that route?

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Steve Huff, THE ML guy of the past years, is currently on a Canon revival trip, because an overheating A9 ruined a video shooting he did (check recent posts on http://www.stevehuffphoto.com). He seems to love the bulky 1-DX II, not only for its video output but also for its stills. And what happened? All those haters like those flooding DPR threads now call him a Canon fanboy - only because he wanted a reliable tool for his purposes. That's all what Canon is about, according to my own experience (aside with another brand's gear): Canon gear is just reliably working with out of the box results that don't need permanently heavy-sided post processing. Saves you a lot of lifetime and nerves. Canon is the Toyota of camera industries - and that's great.
Perhaps Canon is going with a regular sized body, and thermal management is one of the reasons why.....

Upvote 0
Basically what I said before. It is very unlikely that Canon would leave the christmas market cake for Sony and Nikon without a fight, this move would have been very stupid.
I expect the camera that should have been the 6D2 and still have high hopes that this time it's not gonna be crippled in some way, since Canon already mentioned they are willing to even cannibalize their own high end DSLRs.

Upvote 0
I am really looking forward to this new camera. I just hope Canon is willing to sacrifice sales on the 5D4, because if they cripple this camera to be worse in some way than the 5D4, I do not see it being competitive (okay, it will probably have only one card slot, but that is ok).

If its essentially a 5D4 without a mirror and with the same weather sealing, Canon will get my money.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Perhaps Canon is going with a regular sized body, and thermal management is one of the reasons why.....
Agree. I can imagine that it is not so easy to cool a sensor efficiently with IBIS, because its hard to realize a strong thermal connection with the body then. Or you would have to cool the sensor actively, with attached Peltier elements, but that's hard to implement with a backlit sensor imo, you'd have to frame the sensor with those elements and hope that heat transport from the sensor's inner areas still works well enough. Plus, active cooling would drain the battery faster. So I think a pro tool for extended 4k+ video shooting will better have a fixed sensor, maybe better not backlit, that is thermally well connected with a not to small camera body (as long as camera makers stick with silicon sensor technology and don't change to a more efficient semiconductor material such as gallium arsenide - and that will not happen in the foreseeable future).

I think if Canon implements a sort of IBIS in their new ML series, this is a signal that they do not recognize those cameras as a real rugged pro tool. The pricing would fit into the prosumer range anyway, so it would be a camera for enthusiasts and pros not intending to shoot a series very long 4k video takes without letting the camera cool down in-between.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
If its essentially a 5D4 without a mirror and with the same weather sealing, Canon will get my money.

Would be great but I doubt that if the rumored pricing is correct. A 5D4 still is much more expensive than 2k $. Maybe Canon, like Nikon - and Sony already since many years -, will throw two or more models into the market, with a high-end camera on top at the same price level than a 5D4. Maybe that will happen not immediately, remember how long it took them to find an answer for Nikon's two D800 versions with the D5S(R).

Well, we have to be patient and wait a few days to learn more.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2013
I am really looking forward to this new camera. I just hope Canon is willing to sacrifice sales on the 5D4, because if they cripple this camera to be worse in some way than the 5D4, I do not see it being competitive (okay, it will probably have only one card slot, but that is ok).

I think you're going to be disappointed if you're expecting a 5D4 in this 1st release. This is supposed to be the prosumer model, with a higher megapixel, more pro model to follow (some say in 6 months). I think we'll be lucky to see an improved 6D2 mirrorless model, hopefully with better DR, eye AF, IBIS?, intervalometer, better spread of AF points, 4K video to name a few. But the pro model will be later.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I think you're going to be disappointed if you're expecting a 5D4 in this 1st release. This is supposed to be the prosumer model, with a higher megapixel, more pro model to follow (some say in 6 months). I think we'll be lucky to see an improved 6D2 mirrorless model, hopefully with better DR, eye AF, IBIS?, intervalometer, better spread of AF points, 4K video to name a few. But the pro model will be later.

With a dual pixel sensor the spread of AF points should be quite a bit better than the 6D2.

Upvote 0

Well if all these things were improved from the 6D2 with an 28 MP sensor, this camera is really close or for some purposes superior to the 5DIV. Of course it is not going to be as reliable as the workhorse 5D4, because it is new tech. Essentially you would have the same features and IQ as the 5D4 delivers. I would be more than happy with that. I could even live without IBIS and eye-AF (if the AF points are selective and small enough).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 380306

If it happens and that price is somewhere round the £2000 mark I'm in, providing it's gets a better sensor than my 6d2, I tested out the m5 with + 50mm 1.2, I found the size of that set-up very comfortable in my hands, it wasn't much different to the fuji 56mm + xt2 combo I previously owned. Also the m5 was fast enough focusing for my needs! It's like they already have the camera just need to make it a little bigger for that ff sensor add IBIS, tweak it a little etc etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
I think if Canon implements a sort of IBIS in their new ML series, this is a signal that they do not recognize those cameras as a real rugged pro tool.

LOL. Sony A9 is definitely a tool that can be and is actually used also by Pro's. It is reasonably rugged. It does have IBIS. It does have 4k capture. And yet it does not overheat.

"Innovative Canon" should be able to achieve similar technical feats, no? :)

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Steve Huff, THE ML guy of the past years, is currently on a Canon revival trip, because an overheating A9 ruined a video shooting he did (check recent posts on http://www.stevehuffphoto.com).
"PROS for the 6DII for vlogging:
9. Great photos as well! I may prefer the photos to the Sony."

Oh, ok...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Yes, but will it have a HEADPHONE JACK???

I have a hard time getting past the fact that Canon would put out a camera at that level without a headphone jack, yet has Bluetooth, BUT THE BLUETOOTH DOES NOT SUPPORT BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Basically what I said before. It is very unlikely that Canon would leave the christmas market cake for Sony and Nikon without a fight, this move would have been very stupid.

Genuine question (to everyone): do many people buy ~$2k cameras for Christmas? Surely virtually nobody spends that kind of money on a single gift, and in my experience (and observation of others), Christmas and January is when money is tightest, because you're spending on other people's presents, food, etc. Am I missing something?

Upvote 0