We were wrong, all of your Canon mirrorless dreams are likely coming true soon

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Yet the spec list that this thread is about states that the camera has IBIS......

One can not use the logic that a feature has not shown up before to rule out its presence as a new feature...... that’s the thing about new features..... they are new....

One can still use the IS switch on a lens to turn off OIS and IBIS.....

According to Panasonic, OIS works better on longer focal lengths, IBIS on shorter, and a hybrid better than either alone.... why would Canon not follow that route?
You need two buttons to fully control 2 operations. Or a button with 2^2 = 4 positions. Two buttons (or one button and one menu choice) is simpler though (IBIS OFF, IS OFF) , (IBIS OFF, IS ON), (IBIS ON, IS OFF), (IBIS ON, IS ON) like two bit combinations:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Could there be a regional announcement coming? Maybe Japan/Asia only? I think I remember reading that mirrorless is bigger there. Didn't the M series have a rocky start in the US? Not showing up, showing up late or showing up and fading away? Fire sales on lenses and bodies? I wasn't paying much attention as it wasn't really part of my foreseeable future. It could be now, if not directly then maybe by impacting prices on the camera I do buy.

There was this a while back about Canon and IBIS:
CR on Canon IBIS Patent

Canon had a paper on why IBIS in a SLR camera wasn't workable which is why they went with lens based IS. Now that they have that investment and technology only makes sense that they would continue to leverage that, perhaps in some type of hybrid system.

Upvote 0

ken

Engineer, snapper of photos, player of banjos
CR Pro
Aug 8, 2016
Huntsville, AL
I think I woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning. All I can see is:

1. Absolutely nothing has changed. Either Canon is going to release a FF mirrorless this year or it isn't. And no one outside of Canon seems to know any detail about it. So reading these rumors is not productive, other than to know "something might be coming. Hold off on major purchase decisions." Meh. I've known that for quite awhile now.

2. Whoever started abbreviating mirrorless as ML... you have done this forum a disservice.

Sorry. Maybe I just need more coffee. :confused::coffee:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
1080p@60fps would be super weak, there's really no need to throttle performance that badly. Just to keep the 1DX as the best or to make it easier to bring out a more high end mirrorless camera later?
Either way I think that's poor if true.
1080p is so 2014! Nobody cares about that any more. Pay attention.

Upvote 0
Genuine question (to everyone): do many people buy ~$2k cameras for Christmas? Surely virtually nobody spends that kind of money on a single gift, and in my experience (and observation of others), Christmas and January is when money is tightest, because you're spending on other people's presents, food, etc. Am I missing something?

Black Friday, Christmas sales, New Years sales. A gift to yourself for waiting until the end of year sales instead of buying on GAS impulse during the year.

If someone can buy their significant other a Benz/Audi/Acura/BMW/Cadi or Yugo, then a camera body isn't so unreasonable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If someone can buy their significant other a Benz/Audi/Acura/BMW/Cadi or Yugo, then a camera body isn't so unreasonable.

Do they?? People must be a lot richer than I realised! (Although I get the impression most brand new cars are bought on credit, rather than paying the full price outright - you can do this with a camera too of course, but I don't know how common it is).

Point taken about sales, although historically (in the UK) January was the best time for them - though we have 'Black Friday' etc now (and sales increasingly throughout the year).

Fair enough, but again - Christmas is so expensive anyway, isn't that bonus eaten up without leaving much for a massive self-splurge?

Upvote 0
Why does everybody want Canon to keep the EF mount? I want a new system with a matching lens for optimal compatibility and newer technology. A 5-10 year old lens is not going to work as well as something totally new made specifically for a new sensor. I think Nikon understood that. Things move forward.
I understand people have invested heavily in their equipment but the 2018 lens lineup is limited to a few models. There will be adapters if necessary but I wouldn't want to use them.
Remember the Nikon Z is new and Canon didn't know about it but Sony A7R III has been around since last year so Canon knows they need something to dethrone Sony. They won't do it without a kick ass machine with 100% new tech. IMHO.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
You need two buttons to fully control 2 operations. Or a button with 2^2 = 4 positions. Two buttons (or one button and one menu choice) is simpler though (IBIS OFF, IS OFF) , (IBIS OFF, IS ON), (IBIS ON, IS OFF), (IBIS ON, IS ON) like two bit combinations:

Or you could use the lens button to turn both off.... or press the button on the camera and scroll through choices displayed on the shoulder display.... or use the touchscreen interface..... There are many ways to do it.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
By any technical standard they are great but in the real world, well, they don’t look very nice. And especially up against the D850.
So do you think if I showed you two real world prints by the same photographer using the same lens and light, one with each camera, you could tell the difference?

IBIS? really? thought Canon has no regarding patents ... does Nikon have any? or can you just buy the IP?

If someone is selling, you can outright buy or license (which again Canon and other camera makes do where it makes sense to). I bet you can go pick up the closest camera and find 2-4 bits of licensed technology without much effort.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Fair enough, but again - Christmas is so expensive anyway, isn't that bonus eaten up without leaving much for a massive self-splurge?
I don't know; for me, Christmas itself was several thousand dollars expensive only when I used that bonus to buy 7DII + 15-85 + 100-400II as a gift for my wife...

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012

I would think that where a “bonus” is prescribed by statute or contract (or otherwise guaranteed), people would just treat it like salary, not cordon it off as some windfall. On the other hand if you live paycheck to paycheck, it would have the effect of being “extra” money (although, given the “if,” should you really go and spend it?).

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Why does everybody want Canon to keep the EF mount? I want a new system with a matching lens for optimal compatibility and newer technology. A 5-10 year old lens is not going to work as well as something totally new made specifically for a new sensor. I think Nikon understood that. Things move forward.
I understand people have invested heavily in their equipment but the 2018 lens lineup is limited to a few models. There will be adapters if necessary but I wouldn't want to use them.
Remember the Nikon Z is new and Canon didn't know about it but Sony A7R III has been around since last year so Canon knows they need something to dethrone Sony. They won't do it without a kick ass machine with 100% new tech. IMHO.
1. EF lenses are highly compatable with DPAF sensor. so not really true.
2. I'm sure Canon knew about the Nikon Z and the Sony A7RIII well before we did

Upvote 0
Agree, it may very well be a video-only software IBIS. Still, I think there are bigger questions about this cam (mount and AF speed/reliability).

I don't think that IBIS is an issue. Canon can just streamline the lens offering to one focal length/aperture and discontinue either the IS or the non-IS version. Over time, it is not going to be an issue. You can just similarly argue that 70-200f2.8 IS will cause problem for IS II or IS III, but it doesn't

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
According to Panasonic, OIS works better on longer focal lengths, IBIS on shorter, and a hybrid better than either alone.... why would Canon not follow that route?

Increases the standard cost of the body
May consume more power (honestly don't know, just riffing here)
Eliminates profitable price points for Canon where they have two lenses -- one with and one without IS

I'm not saying they shouldn't do IBIS -- I'm not opposed to it at all. But IBIS is not an entitlement Canon must give us because others think it's worth pursuing. It has a cost that Canon may not wish to pay.

- A

Upvote 0
If it has a BSI or stacked sensor, 27MP ish resolution, and a responsive EVF, then I would be in for this first mirrorless FF Canon offering. I don’t care about video, and would prefer native EF mount (adapter ok). Other features similar to 6D2 would suffice for $2k.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Why doesn't everyone want Canon to keep the EF mount? In contrast to Nikon canon made the big change to change the mount earlied in time (from FD to EF) while Nikon stayed with the old mount.
Why everyone thinks the lenses with new mount will be ... better and work with the sensor better. Are they scientists working for a similarly important company or just b(-v)loggers who may even not use one system? Or use one camera with one lens? Just saying do not take it personally...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0