What’s going on with Canon Speedlites?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Since the launch of the EOS R system, the Speedlite situation for the system has been a bit of a mess. Currently, the flagship Speedlite EL-1 isn’t expected to ship again until May of 2024, while it’s compatible the entire EOS R lineup, it’s also prohibitively expensive for a lot of shooters. The Speedlite EL-5

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
… We are now being told that the EL-1 “may never be available again” and that Canon is “revamping the entire Speedlite line next year”. What that means, we're not 100% sure, but it would make sense to address it …
I must admit, that I didn‘t fully understand the Canon strategy behind the new EL SLs - of there is any consistent one at all.
So either there is one or not, it seems that it didn‘t fit grip at the market.
So starting again seems to be a possible choice.
Right now, I see no reason to abandon my old EX SL.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
The EL-5 should work the the R8 as well. But I'm going to keep using my trusty EL-100 :)
I like mine too, and, since I dislike flash photography anyway (or have no use for it), the EL 100 is all I need. Small, reliable and lightweight for the rare cases I need a flash.

Upvote 0
I\'m not a huge Speedlite shooter. I have two 600EX-RT II Speedlites and use them periodically. I rented the EL-1 for a shoot as a companion/comparison on my R5 body. Nice flash, fast recycle and it works with an external pack. That said, it\'s not worth $1000! No way. I use an Elinchrom ELB500 and also an Elinchrom 1 for my location work since I rarely use on-camera flash. I\'m considering an Elinchrom 3 now. All of these are roughly the same price or less than the EL-1 but with more versatility (though granted, not on camera). The problems with Canon Speedlites are 1) exorbitantly expensive (as even the 600EX-RT are), and 2) non-functional with even somewhat newer cameras like the R5.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020
- Last-gen Speedlites do the job fine for most people
- Canon Speedlites are way too expensive
- Third party flashes do the job at a much lower price point

Unless Canon can sell a competitively priced flash that offers a tangible benefit to flash shooters they'll continue to be overrun by third parties. Until then I'll stick with my first-gen 430EX when I need TTL, and my set of Yongnuo YN560-III when I'm doing studio stuff.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Welcome to the CR forum! It's always great when we have forum members with access to accurate global market research, so they can tell us all what 'most people' do and think.
I was wondering where the poll was that asked how many people got rid of their Canon Speedlites. :LOL:

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
- Canon Speedlites are way too expensive
- Third party flashes do the job at a much lower price point
Well yes, but...
So many people say you can buy 4 (Godox/Yongnuo/etc.) for the price of an EL-1. Read the reviews of the Godox V1 on B&H. Tons of reviews saying it broke after the 1st event, especially the foot. One reviewer said he was on his 5th(!) V1.
At that point, he's spent more money on his 5 V1s than if he just bought an EL-1.

"Buy nice or buy twice..."

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Canon attempted too many tricks with the flash shoe - from removing the standard hotshoe pin from economic cameras, and then creating a whole new interface - but not before rolling out one of its flagship camera models. I understand flash units are a way to increase revenues, but irritating users is not a good way. Hope they rethink their strategy in a more coherent and backward-compatible way...

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Well yes, but...
So many people say you can buy 4 (Godox/Yongnuo/etc.) for the price of an EL-1. Read the reviews of the Godox V1 on B&H. Tons of reviews saying it broke after the 1st event, especially the foot. One reviewer said he was on his 5th(!) V1.
At that point, he's spent more money on his 5 V1s than if he just bought an EL-1.

"Buy nice or buy twice..."
I've two speedlites (580 EX II) and 4 Yongnues. I don't see any quality difference except the Yongnues are smarter and I can trigger Multiples ones with a trigger. I'm at the point where I wouldn't even consider buying a El-5 or El-1, just would not be worth the price point. Crazy to have compatability issues with an R5. Godox V1 seems a very popular ( I see the reviews, not sure how common that issue is with the foot - weak design or manufacturing issue perhaps - Godox are generally very well made (I've AD200's and a AD100 both excellent).

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I have 2 AD200s, and they are fantastic. I think the V1s in particular just have an issue.

And I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but sort the reviews by "worst reviews," and you'll see what I'm talking about:

No it's a valid comment, you see the same complaint on some of the Amazon reviews. There are so many positive reviews on both its hard to tell how common an issue it is. You'd almost need to see a break down to see how fragile is it really. There are always monday morning products and you can be unlucky but its a well to read bad reviews before buying.

Upvote 0