What’s going on with Canon Speedlites?

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I do not know where you are based, but I could not find any adapters in stock in places I normally shop in the United States. Even though the R100 was strongly criticized; it would still fundamentally take photos and work with the old flashes.

In 2008 when I started this hobby my first camera was a Nikon D200 with only 10 MP and I paid close to $1500 if I remember correctly. The Canon R100 is light years ahead of the Nikon D200 and much more affordable.

There is a refurbished Canon R100 with RF-S18-45 mm kit lens for $329 directly from Canon. USA if you are based in the United States:

Refurbished R100

Is this your daughter's first camera? What type of photography does she enjoy?

Good luck,

John
Thanks!!! I checked and saw the R50 with the same kit lens for $449 USD. Nice price point for my kid. I have an 80D, but I think it's a little complex for her, so this seems like a good alternative until she's a little older.

I thought about the 80D forcing her to learn more about exposure, blah, blah, blah, but she is such a busy student, why not let her go with the EVF and just have fun?

B&H shows the little adapter will be in stock fairly soon. She'll be using it outdoors in good light mostly for some time, I'm sure, and the R50 has a little popup flash.

ORDER DETAILS
Refurbished EOS R50 RF-S18-45mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM Lens Kit
SKU: 5811C063
Quantity: 1
Original Price: 639.99
Price: $449.99

Upvote 0
The 600EX-RT (version I) remains an amazing workhorse with my R5 and R3 bodies.
I'm so glad to hear this! I just got a great second hand 600-EX-RT v1: it was either that or Godox and I don't think I would buy a new Canon flash because the price / performance just seems awful compared to aftermarket units. It also seems that the aftermarket manufacturers have out-innovated Canon (and this applies equally to all the camera manufacturers). The 600 is more flash than I am capable of, so I'm 100% happy.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Well yes, but...
So many people say you can buy 4 (Godox/Yongnuo/etc.) for the price of an EL-1. Read the reviews of the Godox V1 on B&H. Tons of reviews saying it broke after the 1st event, especially the foot. One reviewer said he was on his 5th(!) V1.
At that point, he's spent more money on his 5 V1s than if he just bought an EL-1.

"Buy nice or buy twice..."
Well, it's not that rosy with Canon, it's quite the opposite. I had to sell off all 3 Canon EX-600Rt and a Canon Remote because the flashes dropped link all the time. They were strong, reliable bullet proof flashes that all of a sudden stopped working and CANON COULD NOT FIX THEM no matter what. Turns out, I am not the only one with this issue. There are hundreds of professionals on canon support forums posting the same problem for the past 3 years. Still not fixed, that includes their flagship EL-1 that will drop wireless link in the presence of other wireless equipment. Event shooters have to resort to other brands like godox, which is inferior in build quality, but proved to be super reliable when it comes to wireless shooting - the reason I went with canon in 2013 and was loyal to them.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I love the EL-1. The recycle time is unbelievable. I also have the Godox/FlashPoint AD-360's but their recycle time is several seconds when the EL-1 is instantaneous. I don't trust the weight on my R5 but have the flash on a boomerang L bracket.

The price is eyewatering but other than the fact my credit card is still whimpering, I love the flash.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Well, it's not that rosy with Canon, it's quite the opposite. I had to sell off all 3 Canon EX-600Rt and a Canon Remote because the flashes dropped link all the time. They were strong, reliable bullet proof flashes that all of a sudden stopped working and CANON COULD NOT FIX THEM no matter what. Turns out, I am not the only one with this issue. There are hundreds of professionals on canon support forums posting the same problem for the past 3 years. Still not fixed, that includes their flagship EL-1 that will drop wireless link in the presence of other wireless equipment. Event shooters have to resort to other brands like godox, which is inferior in build quality, but proved to be super reliable when it comes to wireless shooting - the reason I went with canon in 2013 and was loyal to them.
I agree with you, competely, and have had the same problem. I am one of the people that have sent all their gear to Canon only to be told nothing's wrong. Something has definitley gone South with the RT tech. However, when it comes to build quality Canon is tops. Now I only use Speedlites for on-camera bounce flash, so I have zero complaints LOL. I do my off-camera work with Godox AD200s, and they work perfectly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
I love the EL-1. The recycle time is unbelievable. I also have the Godox/FlashPoint AD-360's but their recycle time is several seconds when the EL-1 is instantaneous. I don't trust the weight on my R5 but have the flash on a boomerang L bracket.

The price is eyewatering but other than the fact my credit card is still whimpering, I love the flash.
It is an awesome event flash!

Upvote 0
The soon to be released R5 Mk2 will be compatible with the EL-5. I believe that the Canon RP and Canon R5 are the only two Canon cameras currently in production that are not compatible with the EL-5.

Just FYI the EL-5 is a great flash even though I use it infrequently.
The R100 is the newest released R series camera without the new multi function hot shoe.

Upvote 0
The situation with Canon speedlites is criminal neglect. I'm a professional photographer and use flashed daily. I have an R5 and still using EX600 of which I have a couple. Once they die there is no replacement from Canon. I have to buy 3rd party which in my 30 year career I always avoided as I found Canon more reliable. Do I really have to go to eBay and buy some chinese knock off to work with?

And what on earth is this compatibility mess? Never hated Canon as much as I'm doing lately.

Upvote 0
Well yes, but...
So many people say you can buy 4 (Godox/Yongnuo/etc.) for the price of an EL-1. Read the reviews of the Godox V1 on B&H. Tons of reviews saying it broke after the 1st event, especially the foot. One reviewer said he was on his 5th(!) V1.
At that point, he's spent more money on his 5 V1s than if he just bought an EL-1.

"Buy nice or buy twice..."
Yes, I once tried a Yonguno but it did not last me the quarter of the life of a Canon. I do use it all the time though, 5 days a week. It gets fired 100s of times a day.... These Chinese knockoffs are just that, cheap knock offs, ok for hobby use.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Yes, I once tried a Yonguno but it did not last me the quarter of the life of a Canon. I do use it all the time though, 5 days a week. It gets fired 100s of times a day.... These Chinese knockoffs are just that, cheap knock offs, ok for hobby use.
For a hobbyist like me, the V860IIC is hard to beat: tons of power and fast recycle time thanks to the lithium battery, for €200.

I mostly use it for macro in my garden, so if it breaks, I’ll grab the old 430EX :)

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Test it for what?
Covid-24.

I've never had a hotshoe adapter. This weekend I'll try it on daughter's R50. The plan is to give her my old 430ex II so she can learn about bounce flash, etc. But I also want to see how it works with a 600ex-rt. Just wondering how secure and balanced it feels, as I imagine the R5 II will have the new hotshoe too. Of course, the build quality and size of the R50 might not be a great comparison.

Plus I need to make sure the AD-E1 is working before my 30-days is up!

Have you been using one?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Have you been using one?
Nope. I have one, but I ordered it at release before we knew if it was really needed for an old flash to work in the new hotshoe. It turned out it is only needed for weather sealing (the R50 notwithstanding), but I decided not to cancel the order ‘just in case’.

Upvote 0
It is a mess, and it's even more of a mess knowing that some change is coming but not what/when it will be. Who would invest in a new Canon flash at this point?

I know Canon's default is to try and lowball specs on products, nickel and dime you on higher end models and accessories. But in this segment where third parties have a massive cost and accessory advantage - they'd be better placed delivering a product the third parties can't.

Why can't Canon make their bodies transmit TTL to their flash units without an adapter? Profoto allow flash control over both their proprietary radio interface and bluetooth... why can't Canon just enable short-distance bluetooth control of their own flash range from their bodies? Now you have some really useful added value, and to an extent you solve your shoe-mount transition issue. You could add that bluetooth connectivity by firmware update to all existing R bodies. Please do this, Canon!

Upvote 0
in this segment where third parties have a massive cost and accessory advantage
That's the point: why REALLY invest in something that others do better and cheaper? I don't see Canon, or any other camera manufacturer, really interested in putting up money to develop something that is pretty much a small niche.

Upvote 0