What’s next for the Canon Cinema EOS line?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
When I first reported back in May, 2021 that a Canon EOS R5 C was coming, I was also told about new versions of the C300, C500, and C700 Cinema EOS cameras. The joys of the pandemic hit and it seemed everything for the Cinema EOS lineup was stuck.
This is what I reported on back in April of 2021.
Canon Cinema EOS C300S

8K Super 35mm
8K/60p, 4K/120p in all modes
BSI Stacked 3.2um 8K DGO Sensor
Dual Pixel Autofocus
16 Stops Dynamic Range in DGO Mode
10ms Readout in 8K DGO Mode
Dual DIGIC DV 8 Image Processor

Canon Cinema EOS C500S

8K Full Frame
8K/60p, 4K/120p in all modes
BSI Stacked 4.65um 8K DGO Sensor
Dual Pixel Autofocus
17+ Stops Dynamic Range in DGO Mode
10ms Readout in 8K DGO Mode
Dual DIGIC DV 8 Image Processor

Canon Cinema EOS C700DR

4K Full Frame
4K/240p in Fast Mode, 4K/180p in WDR Mode
BSI Stacked 9.6um 4K WDR Sensor
20+ Stops Dynamic Range in WDR Mode
5ms Readout in 4K WDR Mode...

Continue reading...

This all sounds wonderful - really, it does! - but people should keep in mind that Sony is having a very hard time filling orders for a camera announced last year, the FX6, due to the chip shortage. I have colleagues that ordered one in Sept/Oct 2021, and still have not received it.

So it seems reasonable that whatever big camera Canon annoucnes next, won't really be in peoples hands until Q4 2022/Q1 2023.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
I wonder if that 20 stops of DR will actually translate into a usable 14+ stops like on the Arri Alexa Mini LF?
The top tier model has the lowest resolution… which honestly is more than enough. High resolution in cinema camera just leads to trying to find ways to remove detail… vintage lenses… anamorphics… Promist filters etc… I think a nice solid 2.5 to 3K might be ideal for cinema work.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I wish there was a c70-like camera with full frame sensor…
I like the .71x speedbooster from Canon more than I thought I would. There is no discernible distortion or loss of IQ. That - combined with the regular glass free adapter - means you can enjoy full frame ef glass at two fields of view, and super35/apsc glass like the Sigma 18-35 remain useful. If you have ef glass it’s great… not so good if you’ve moved to rf.

Upvote 0
In the professional world, there is no such thing as "a PROPER HDMI". Considering HDMI is non-locking and a full-sized cable connector is pretty large, I think it's almost more of a liability than one of the smaller variants.
Can’t agree with you there. Pretty much every large cine camera (see c300/500 etc) has a full size connection. Sure SDI is preferred, but they all have HDMI as well and it’s never mini or micro which are all but useless - they easily break - and sure to be the number one complaint from professionals using the R5c.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
This all sounds wonderful - really, it does! - but people should keep in mind that Sony is having a very hard time filling orders for a camera announced last year, the FX6, due to the chip shortage. I have colleagues that ordered one in Sept/Oct 2021, and still have not received it.

So it seems reasonable that whatever big camera Canon annoucnes next, won't really be in peoples hands until Q4 2022/Q1 2023.
Why keep in mind about Sony? Wrong reason to manage one purchases or rentals. That's Sony's problem not mine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
I like the .71x speedbooster from Canon more than I thought I would. There is no discernible distortion or loss of IQ. That - combined with the regular glass free adapter - means you can enjoy full frame ef glass at two fields of view, and super35/apsc glass like the Sigma 18-35 remain useful. If you have ef glass it’s great… not so good if you’ve moved to rf.
I’m using EF, RF, EF-s, and my personal favorites, Canon FD & FL glass. I just ordered the Metabones FD to RF speedbooster. Looking forward to trying it out. You can adapt about anything to RF. I really love it.

Upvote 0