What’s next for the Canon Cinema EOS line?

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
Can’t agree with you there. Pretty much every large cine camera (see c300/500 etc) has a full size connection. Sure SDI is preferred, but they all have HDMI as well and it’s never mini or micro which are all but useless - they easily break - and sure to be the number one complaint from professionals using the R5c.
That’s kinda cute that you consider the C300 and 500 large cine cameras.

I’m not saying that HDMI isn’t included on a lot of professional gear, just that it’s not reliable or most professionals first choice for a video connection. I’ve been forced into using it a handful of times over the years, but only because the manufacturer decided to put an HDMI instead of an additional SDI/BNC. HDMI was not designed for professional use. It was designed for consumer electronics, most of which aren’t used under the adverse conditions and demands that professional gear is often times subject to and must perform under without fail, which requires much more secure and robust interconnects.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Why would you prefer a super 35 sensor over full frame? Just asking about the size, I know that the c70 sensor has better dynamic range. I like the RF f4L lenses for their size and weight, and I fear that a smaller sensor would reduce too much broken for me with those apertures.
Smaller and lighter cinema lens options for one. Full frame sensors require lenses with a larger image circle. Thus they are larger and heavier. I also do not feel high resolution is the answer for Cinematic video. Hence the use of promist filters, film grain, vintage lens, anamorphics and a host of cinema lenses with “character”… aka defects… all for the sake of lessening image detail.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
I've been a regular reader of Canonrumors.com for years, but lately I've been questioning whether or not to continue.

The reason? The ads are just ridiculous. I don't mind ads. But the ads on this site are at a completely insane level. It's a major turn off.
No one really likes ad’s, especially when they interfere with your viewing and enjoyment of a site. But websites like this are not cheap to maintain and the money must come from somewhere, usually either through ads or users paying directly. Several years ago, I too noticed the ads becoming very (overly) intrusive and decided to pay for the ad-free version of the site. I pony‘d up for the lifetime subscription/membership and haven’t thought a thing about it since. I visit the site almost daily, so I think I have been getting my money’s worth.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
Smaller and lighter cinema lens options for one. Full frame sensors require lenses with a larger image circle. Thus they are larger and heavier. I also do not feel high resolution is the answer for Cinematic video. Hence the use of promist filters, film grain, vintage lens, anamorphics and a host of cinema lenses with “character”… aka defects… all for the sake of lessening image detail.
Pretty much the entire reason Canon made the Sumire Lenses. People said the CN-E Primes and regular L series primes werenway too sharp for narrative work. I use Canon FD lenses most often for cinematic work, and I also like the look of super 35 on vintage glass better. Gives you that 60’, 70’s, early 80’s film feel a bit.

Upvote 0
Pretty much the entire reason Canon made the Sumire Lenses. People said the CN-E Primes and regular L series primes werenway too sharp for narrative work. I use Canon FD lenses most often for cinematic work, and I also like the look of super 35 on vintage glass better. Gives you that 60’, 70’s, early 80’s film feel a bit.

Great to read that from someone who really uses them! At the moment I just like to have rock solid AF on my RP (for what I do).
But if I will ever create a documentary movie where I would like to have this 1970s style (+/-) I will think about using these lenses for certain situations. Some short tests showed that these old FD lenses exhibit interesting flares/refections, sharpness and contrast is very good (for 2k) only chromatic aberrations are vast but ... finally B/W might be an option :)

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
Great to read that from someone who really uses them! At the moment I just like to have rock solid AF on my RP (for what I do).
But if I will ever create a documentary movie where I would like to have this 1970s style (+/-) I will think about using these lenses for certain situations. Some short tests showed that these old FD lenses exhibit interesting flares/refections, sharpness and contrast is very good (for 2k) only chromatic aberrations are vast but ... finally B/W might be an option :)
Oh I love them. If you want softer and even dreamier look, dabble with the FL lenses like the 58mm 1.2 FL. That one is still pretty cheap. Use it for dream sequences and more airy scenes and such. Great character right out of the camera for that. I have a lot of EF glass, an some RF zooms. The RF mount can get you to about any look you might want. :)

A friend of mine adapted a bunch of old Canon C mount lenses and did some really cool super 16 work on his c70 with them for fun.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I have to say I find the Sumires very odd from a design choice perspective. Canon markets them as having two looks – a classic, dreamier look wide open, and a sharper, more modern look stopped down.

What production wants a lens to have two different looks? You choose the lenses for the production – you absolutely don't want to choose a lens that's schizophrenic. Cinema work needs consistency... with the Sumires, if I want that more classic look I can't stop down even if I'd like to increase depth of field.

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
Must remember, Canon is pretty much cameras and printers ... Sony will divert to where they can make the most money ... PS5
Yeah, that’s the primary reason I don’t trust sony products. They can make some amazing ones, but the support doesn’t always stay there. Their structure has this whole thing where they divert profits to other departments, and then the previous department takes a hit. They did it with desktops, and the vaio laptops that were top line at one point. They even had appliances one. Very briefly on that one. Big sony would have no qualms about raiding their camera department’s piggy banks and R&D funds. They love to rent out patent rights though. Selling parts is a major part of their business. They still get a slice of every product that has a blu ray player, and off of every blu ray disk since they created that tech for the playstation. They already sell a lot of camera sensors to various places. Big sony likes having many options, and will canibalize when it suits them. Canon is really good at what they do, and they don’t do much else. Various fields of imaging, but pretty much just imaging over all.

Upvote 0
Nope, the C70 is fine like it is. Rig it out as needed.
C70 need viewfinder . Rig might be work in many scenerio , but in documents styles work , run and gun rig and all attached accessories is nightmare .
When first c100 appear I got zacuto evf because first one had very bad evf , but it was nightmare working on wedding , when canon c100mk2 appear I straight away got 2 of them , do not forget there was no big difference still only 8 bit but EVF finally usable .
EVF in c100mk2 no issues when working with gimbal , stedycam .
Canon why not make version c70 with evf . I need 3 c70 , I am ready to pay extra for that . C100mk2 made a lots of money for canon , c70 can make even more just simply evf please

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0