What’s next for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6?

Jan 22, 2012
I don't know if this video has been posted before, but it looks like a pretty good and unbiased assessment, which does show that this is a pretty major issue.

Sharing it because this guy seems to be a serious filmmaker and if you go back to the start and watch the video he was working on, it's pretty obvious he was not shooting excessively long takes, but was still having significant problems.

I think stills people, like myself, need to look at this and take it into consideration before dismissing the concerns.
He is a 'serious filmmaker' with that lighting and correction?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
That video has been shared a lot, he also shoots very long form so is not, I suspect, Canon's intended user or market.

He is a 'serious filmmaker' with that lighting and correction?

Well, he was using a pre-production model of the R6, which means he had to have received it from Canon. I doubt Canon would have provided him with a pre-production model if they did not feel he was serious or that he was not their intended user or market.

I'm as big of a Canon fanboy as anyone, but let's not be blind here. Canon is acknowledging problems and apparently working to fix them.I have no problem with people saying it won't be an issue for them. It would not be an issue for me. But, let's stop hating on people who have legitimate issues.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
I stand by my prediction that we won’t see an R5 in stock at retail or below at a major retailer until 2021.
My store said they could only fulfill one third of their R5 pre-orders today and the waiting list is only going to go up so you might be right that they won’t be on the shelves in stock for many months.

Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
I think it was fair that Canon released information about properties of their cameras (shortly) before it was available on the market.
If I look at modern cinema movies I usuallly don't see scenes of more than 30 seconds. Using four EOS R5s there is a good chance not to overheat just at 8k.
And 8k for vloggers who talk one hour? IMO FullHD is more than sufficient for that.
Great to see that Canon wants to do something and will do - they want a 2nd "5D mark ii"-feeling :)

Just Alfred Hitchcock would have thrown away the R5 for his masterpieces with these great long scenes or found a solution to cool it down silently ...

Most Hitchcock firms were normally edited. Rope was a novelty.

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020
Sorry you took that as antagonistic. But it's true. Uncropped full frame 4K60p never existed before the 1DXIII... so I don't know how we can just expect it to be included like it's some normal feature. Maybe I shouldn't use the word "entitled" because some are easily triggered?

Didn't exist? Are you insane?

Upvote 0
I hope the next announcement from Canon will be RF C250 FF with specs of R5 and sufficient cooling. This will bring most of video centric users to a higher price camera body, which is a win for Canon. I have been waiting for RF cine camera for 2 years now. Hybrid cameras don't make sense for either photographers or videographers. Just look at the useless audio memo button on R5 that can not be used in video mode and can not be reprogrammed to any video centric function. Canon just give us pure photo and video FF cameras and all will be at peace.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Well, he was using a pre-production model of the R6, which means he had to have received it from Canon. I doubt Canon would have provided him with a pre-production model if they did not feel he was serious or that he was not their intended user or market.

I'm as big of a Canon fanboy as anyone, but let's not be blind here. Canon is acknowledging problems and apparently working to fix them.I have no problem with people saying it won't be an issue for them. It would not be an issue for me. But, let's stop hating on people who have legitimate issues.
Canon provided cinema5D with a review unit, they didn't necessarily know what was going to be done with it. I don't think many people would buy any stills orientated hybrid for serious long form video work, the video market is overflowing with cameras much better suited to his particular task and I do not think what he was doing is Canon's idea of a general user case use.

I might be labeled a fanboy, which is kinda funny because half the time I'm attacked by them, but I just don't see his use as typical, heck there are countless posters who say they have never used the video on cameras they have owned for years. I believe we are at a point where video centric users are going to have to make serious decisions on what they want and how much they are going to pay for it. To me it sounds like a photographer moaning that paint brushes don't do the job they need, well that's because they aren't the tool for the job. Yes Canon sell it as a hybrid, but it is a photo centric hybrid and a compromised video tool so as a videographer either accept those compromises or buy something else.

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
After this video, I think they are going to recall this - overheated but cold surface really starts sounding like an engineering problem (lack of thermal conductance between components/processor and shell)
I saw the video too, and think there's credence to what he says about the the firmware being time limited and not temperature limited. Still not sure what realistic options there are for a physical solution there would be outside of drilling a hole and sticking a removable rubber gasket seal on it. But if it is actually still cool to the touch, maybe it is true that it is conservatively protecting the camera, and firmware may be able to take the limiters off of it.

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020
Th
After this video, I think they are going to recall this - overheated but cold surface really starts sounding like an engineering problem (lack of thermal conductance between components/processor and shell)

The most noteworthy thing about this video is that he didn't even use ibis or auto focus and he didn't shoot video or still. He just had the camera on and it overheated when he was ready to roll.

This camera is dead on arrival, anyone who can't see that is in denial or flat out delusional at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

quilatoo

EOS 5D iii
Jul 30, 2020
I likely wasn't going to pick up the R5 until the new year anyway but even as an exclusively stills shooter I am put off by the significant cost of the R5 for OTT video specs (I get that there's no way Canon or anyone else are going to sell a non-hybrid stills camera in this day and age) that might have resulted in a bit of a dodgy all round product. Overheating issues in 8K shouldn't affect me but I'm definitely concerned about any similar potential issues that might crop up from just extensive use of the camera even just doing regular photography.

Even without the heating issues my main concern is the ease of adapting existing EF lenses and getting the most out of the camera, especially third-party lenses that make up the bulk of my collection. I didn't realise the 12 fps burst mode was only available with RF and select Canon EF lenses, so it looks like I would to be mostly limited to 8 fps. Granted that, the AF, and IBIS are all an obvious improvement over my 5D Mark iii, but still! £4,200 is a lot of money, without taking into account a £100-200 adapter, CF card, extra batteries, and potentially RF lenses to make the most out of the thing.

I'm hoping there's a decent-ish price drop in the next six months but I may honestly wait until the likes of Sigma and Tamron release RF lenses so I can swap out my current kit like for like.

Upvote 0