What’s next for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6?

I already ordered and my R5 will be arriving later today. I'm not worried, I know Canon will do whatever is required to make things right. Excellent service is one thing Canon are well known for and this will be no different. Too bad Sony will not be doing likewise on the A7S3. That folks is the difference.
Yup, my first R bricked and Canon sent me an entirely new kit. We’ll see how the R5 does this weekend. I’m exporting my low-energy unboxing video right now. Haha.

Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
Ive been using it and so far found it to be excellent with EF lenses, hardly use mechanical, mostly using electronic first curtain. As a transition it could hardly be better in my view.

Sure the newer EF lenses are going to be great but expect compatibility issues galore for older EF lenses. That was never mentioned. When the EOS 1R comes out next year, it’s going to be a punch in the gut if you don’t already have all new glass.

Upvote 0

quilatoo

EOS 5D iii
Jul 30, 2020
Thanks for pointing that out. If this isn’t the death knell for phasing out EF lenses, I don’t know what is.
That 400 2.8 IS vII...sorry 70-200 2.8 vII...out of luck...A lot of people with EF lenses are going to be like WTF?
Yep, I suppose it makes sense that RF lenses have some natural advantage over adapted EF versions but it still sucks considering the sentiment made by Canon that we can use decades of old kit and take advantage of all the newer tech. Maybe it's being a bit picky that the highest burst rates aren't available, as IBIS for non-IS EF lenses is itself a big boost.

Would love to see what the deal is with newer third party lenses released in the last couple of years. There shouldn't be any real reason for them to not support all the features the chosen Canon EF lenses have, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a deliberate choice to reduce their abilities on RF bodies.

EDIT - Meant drive mode rather than burst rate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
Yep, I suppose it makes sense that RF lenses have some natural advantage over adapted EF versions but it still sucks considering the sentiment made by Canon that we can use decades of old kit and take advantage of all the newer tech. Maybe it's being a bit picky that the highest burst rates aren't available, as IBIS for non-IS EF lenses is itself a big boost.

Would love to see what the deal is with newer third party lenses released in the last couple of years. There shouldn't be any real reason for them to not support all the features the chosen Canon EF lenses have, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a deliberate choice to reduce their abilities on RF bodies.

Used it with a Sigma 50mm Art, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, worked perfectly so far. Has a way to let non-registered lenses work with IBIS as well, by manually entering the focal length.

Anythings possible, but it didnt happen with the R, and a big part of their strategy is their lens library. Getting IS on my non-IS EF lenses is definitely a selling point to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Yeah we definitely want nothing to improve over the lowest performance existing kit. That way nobody will be offended. :unsure:

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
I miss the good old times, when a photo camera was made to take photos....
And I miss walking 2 hours to and another 2 hours back from school through the jungle, as an African boy. Today, they have this thing called buss, that can do it in 15min and you just sit starring at your phone, bored.
Sorry if I don't share your souvenir, but waiting 3 days before I could see the photos I took was never fun to me. You pay for the film, you pay to develop it, and they charge you even for blurry photos.
A matter of opinion I guess.

Upvote 0
I've had a couple hours to test the R5, and Wahhhhhhh overheating, it is garbage and I'm so mad that Canon personally cheated me! I was going to shoot cat videos and weddings in 8K for 6 hours every day but this thing is stupid and an obvious failure. It should only cost 50 dollars. Canon is doomed and crippled us again. I just threw it off my balcony. Just kidding :p:ROFLMAO:.

The real scoop: So far it is great and I am not encountering anything but being mostly impressed. Adjusting to the form factor of a smaller body and the new controls, etc. but so far so good. Some notes from my first play time:

This is going to make shooting very pleasant and more convenient, and be a robust stills camera in all light and weather, and competent video camera for light and mid duty jobs in moderate to good light. The build feels very solid and elegant and the body is clearly well thought out for the most part. The only thing I have found that is a real negative, is the grip is more squared and smaller than most FF DSLRs and is not nearly as comfortable, and the controls feel a bit close together which is an advantage for reaching some and disadvantage for others.

Ergonomics:
  • The thing is silent in electronics shutter and pretty darn quiet mechanical.
  • Not a fan of the smaller size and less rounded grip compared to a DSLR. Space and comfort are slightly reduced and controls are not as perfectly placed. It isn't awful, but is the thing I like least so far. I will be buying an L bracket to hopefully make it larger and better balanced. Canon and industry should calm down with the one camera for all purposes and leave pro gear pro- and large for comfort. Also would be easier to pack in features and cool probably.
  • The screen is very high quality and great touch response. Articulation feels solid, like it will not be fragile unless you really screw up and ram it into something. Visually, it is on par with a good phone screen, just smaller.
  • I still love an optical viewfinder and how much more natural that feels, but there are many advantages to EVF and with this one, it is not awful to look through. You can shoot, operate the menus, and review all in the viewfinder. I particularly like how much larger images look reviewing in the viewfinder.
  • Screen and VF brightness lowered from default by one tick look best to me indoors and should save power unless I need the brightness.
  • The timeout on the screen and VF can be lowered, but not as far as I think it should be. I want max power savings. The 5D4 had a 2 second timeout on review of images and I think this screen and VF should have that low of an option too. The lowest is 15 seconds currently. You can turn off either VF or screen in menus but would prefer short auto off time options .
  • The menu system and display options on screen and in viewfinder will suit anyone, they have done a really great job offering many options for info display and control setup. So many ways to customize to a simple workflow for most tasks. Still miss quick control custom layouts though.
  • Batteries fully interchangeable with previous ones, even off brand.
  • The magnesium alloy seems different composition, maybe to enhance thermal conductivity closer to copper since the body is the heat sink surface? I can feel the body take heat form my hands very slightly, and that should help dissipate heat from inside. After a long session of constantly playing with everything the body felt barely warm at 78-80 degrees ambient.
  • There is a very subtle quiet clunk if you move the un-powered body in a direction with hard enough motion (takes a good shake). This is the IBIS mechanism, which when un-powered, allows the sensor to float on the IBIS suspension. I don't think this rattles at all as some have said. It feels solid still and to me the sound is no bother. When powered, does not happen.
  • All buttons seem well placed. The dials are decently placed but a bit close on the top for my large hands. The joystick is up too high but not awfully so. Not nearly so cramped as many mirrorless bricks, but I still wish this smaller-is-better mentality, when we are talking about pro equipment, would stop. Portable stuff should be a niche market. By comparison, the 5D4 feels luxuriant and more natural in the hand. Large lenses also look dumb on a mirrorless but whatever.
  • I love the top screen, which I think is e-ink like any kindle and displays the mode even when off .
  • You can operate the mode dial like the old one without looking down. Better, you can remove modes you will not use from that rotation order. It could be just a few modes if you want, like Av, M, B, C1, or any other list you desire.
  • Everything feels intuitive for the most part. Video configuration and shooting is just easy, and you get good info as you select options about shooting times, etc. Stills basic settings are accessible in several screens and via the dials of course. Getting to deep settings is never more than a couple buttons or touches and much can be customized. Very easy to use overall for any shooter, particularly Canon shooters, and hoping I will get as comfortable with it, or more, as the 5D4 over time.

Performance so far:
  • The focus system is amazing. So fast compared to 5D4 even in low light. So many options for different scenarios. Tracking on objects works well but I have not tried face or animal modes yet, but I can tell there is a lot of ability here. Machine learning and later firmware may make this even better still. It is already class leading and 100% coverage focus points is great. Video focus seems reliable, effortless and easy. For stills, I cannot figure out how to get the focus point to move when I move the joystick without first pressing the focus spot button. Time to read the manual.
  • I got something near but slightly below the 20FPS with an old 24-105 EF mk1 and off brand battery in a quick unscientific burst test of about 50 images. In electronic shutter only, this thing flies. It did take a while to write the buffer out to my midgrade SD card but I had plenty more buffer to go if I had wanted it.
  • IBIS is great. I handheld a 1/6 second on my old 3 stop 24-105 and it was almost as sharp as a 1/100 so I am getting at least 4-5 stops on an old EF lens and could never have hand held that before.
  • Image quality looks like a good step up form the 5D4 in clarity, noise, high ISO, and color (slightly). I have only done some quick tests so this is just first impressions. Some reviewers are saying the Canon sensor stills quality is out there with the best of them now, and while the base DR is not the absolute top of the pack, it is not far behind, very good and improved. At high ISO, DR is equal or better than most competitors as it has been since the 5D4 came out with Canon sensors.
  • High ISO is looking more usable than the 5D4. Will need to take more subjects to get a better feel. An astrophotography landscape trip ought to put it through the ringer, hopefully I will do that soon.
  • Tried some 4K30 and 4K60 low bitrate (haven't bought cards to try higher res or bit rates yet). To me it looks really good compared against my Sony NXCAM HXR-NX80 4K. Of course uncropped full frame, I can get much wider, still clear and sharp with great Canon color, and a way better stabilizer. Haven't done a pixel peeping 4K comparison, but the 5D4 held its own against most 4K options and this should be even better. Won't even get into the nonsense about HQ modes and limits, I did not buy this as a dedicated video camera and don't even have the memory cards for those modes yet. I will still retain dedicated video tools because I don't have this belief any hybrid can do it all yet, and probably not for years to come.
  • Shot for only a few minutes of video at a time so far so no comment on heat issues but I doubt for my normal uses I will encounter them. If I need long form video for interviews or documentary (which I only very rarely do) I have a dedicated pro Sony NXCAM camcorder for 1080P (still very appropriate for most jobs) and 4K, and off camera sound capture. That is the most realistic kind of camera for event and documentary work in my opinion. If I was doing full frame video production I would look at the newest Sony, or more likely the SH1, or if I could afford it, a used or new Cinema camera. Hybrids may never do it all just based on engineering trades and physics, despite what all the entitled people think and poor marketing suggestions.
Conclusion so far? Going well, no major regrets. To me, the camera is as advertised as I never latch onto a feature with unrealistic expectation. Field testing on some tough shoots soon should tell me if I love it, but I already like it. Curious to see how others are getting along with their R5/6 if you were able to get one.

Hey mate when you go out to do astro do you mind trying a longer (ie 2 minute exposure) for me? With my 5D4 I can see a fixed pattern type banding in the sky (not super apparent but when you see it you see it particularly with the more heavy handed nature in processing with milky way and stuff) was wondering if it's still an issue with the new sensor cheers!

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
There's unboxing of the R5 on YouTube already.
I find unboxing videos hilarious. Anyone interested in the camera would have looked at it on the Canon website? It's a box with some packaging, a camera, a strap, battery, charger and manual for heavens sake. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
I find unboxing videos hilarious. Anyone interested in the camera would have looked at it on the Canon website? It's a box with some packaging, a camera, a strap, battery, charger and manual for heavens sake. :ROFLMAO:
They'll drag it out, one upload at a time to maximize monetization. One video for unboxing, one for the button placements, one for the screen, 50 videos later you'll get to see some actual footage. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
They'll drag it out, one upload at a time to maximize monetization. One video for unboxing, one for the button placements, one for the screen, 50 videos later you'll get to see some actual footage. ;)

Don't forget about product placement and sponsors. On a meta level it's amusing to see how many different takes one can do on the same Squarespace/VPN/mobile game script.

Upvote 0

Respinder

5D Mark III
Mar 4, 2012
Hang on, the R was not well received at all! I remember the general consensus being "is that it" and "Canon have released the best mirrorless camera of 2014" with general concerns of its lack of IBIS and dual card slots.

The positives were way more focused on the new mount and quality of RF lenses.

Consumers should always be concerned about the overall quality of a product they're buying even if the overheating is ultimately unlikely to affect photographers. If I have to pay a premium for features I'm not going to use it's going to be more annoying if those features aren't realistically useable for those who do want them.

Overall feedback on the EOS R was far better when compared to Nikon Z6/Z7. Nikon took quite a significant beating over things like the single card slot whereas the EOS R didn’t really get as affected by it. On an overall whole yes, the camera was deemed to be imperfect versus other mirrorless cameras in general but Canon absolutely did not take the same beating in the press that Nikon did.

Upvote 0

Respinder

5D Mark III
Mar 4, 2012
My memory of the EOS R's reception was different. It did not receive the illustrious welcome that you painted and things like 4K crop and single card slot were heavily criticized much the way overheating is being criticized about the R5/R6. There were many praises sang about the RF glass... not so much about the body.

I suspect the R5/R6 will follow a similar reception. Once it gets in people's hands, the positives will outweigh the negatives, and although not perfect will probably be deemed a really great camera. Just wait until it gets into really creative peoples hands, and the focus will shift on what can be made... not on what it lacks. The biggest difference is Canon has put these halo specs which may or may not be reliable depending on how you use the camera. In times past, they did not give you the option, opting instead to not put anything in that would cause the camera to overheat. This time Canon said, here you go... 8K, oversampled 4K, 4K120... YMMV.

I never said that the EOS R received a “illustrious welcome” - I merely said that Canon did not get taken down by the press nearly as badly as Nikon.

I think if the R5/R6 follow the same path with the R in terms of getting the lukewarm reception at launch then Canon isn’t meeting their internal expectations - but perhaps it won’t matter if the camera is sold out between now and November and Canon is able to pull out some serious positive PR

Upvote 0

Osama

CR Pro
Jul 5, 2020
Last thing I would say - CTO Larsson .... some stuff ... etc.

Just to reply to CTO Larsson's video about stock prices since he removed my reply from his video without even trying to provide a counter-argument.

Comparing Stock prices is highly misleading. Canon's portfolio is full of products in shrinking segments (cameras, printers, multifunction devices... etc.). Sony, on the other hand, has many products in growing segments (console gaming, consumer electronics, semiconductors ... etc.). This makes Canon, as a company, unattractive for investors.

When you look at the annual revenue, on the other hand, both companies are stuck in terms of growth. Sony is averaging around $75 billion (an average of 7% from the imaging segment). In comparison, Canon is averaging about $40 billion a year (an average of 23% from the imaging segment).

None of this is related to the discussion, since a company like Fuji, which is far smaller than both, is making great camera products. While Kodak, which just saw it's stock prices go up by more than %300, does not make any imaging products.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
With all the talk on overheating, firmware updates & recalls, Armondo's video was interesting, along with some other reviews that said when the camera was warning it was overheating and about to shut down, it actually didn't feel hot and neither did the battery or the CF / SD cards???

I do wonder if an issue could be, that the overheating warning is linked to a timer and not directly to a temperature gauge and the warning is actually happening way before the camera actually gets to a critical stage, meaning in reality record times could be significantly longer than the warning says? Maybe this is what will happen with the firmware update to change the parameters, or perhaps add some form of temperature sensor that will mean the warning comes up only when it is actually relevant??

Upvote 0