What’s next from Canon?

Jan 29, 2011
At rumored 80Mb+ sensor resolution, this body will require a helluvalot of image stabilisation and is DLA-ed already at F6.3.
not sure 7-8FPS speed is a requirement for a tripod mounted camera and nor is a high ISO capabilities.
At same magnification it will require no more stabilization than anything else, at greater magnification, well, obviously it will but that is what upping your game is all about. As for DLA figures, again, at same sized output they are meaningless, what difference does it make if you resolve the diffraction blur or not? None, diffraction is the same whatever sized pixel you use.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
What's that supposed to mean? It can't be a proper 5DS replacement without being a pro camera, or does it? I understood those terms to mean that the camera has two card slots and a bit better weather sealing than the R. Maybe an upgraded viewfinder.

With over a year of additional development time and a price tag above the R, I would have considered these a given.

What is the high res R expected to be missing?

38 FPS :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
What's that supposed to mean? It can't be a proper 5DS replacement without being a pro camera, or does it? I understood those terms to mean that the camera has two card slots and a bit better weather sealing than the R. Maybe an upgraded viewfinder.

"Pro" in this specific context has lately become to mean "1D" level ie. flagship. Yeah, doesn't make much sense, but that's how it is. People have different definitions for "pro"; for what it's worth, the Canon Europe website classifies the 1D and 5D lines as "professional", whereas eg. Canon US doesn't seem to make that distinction at all on their product pages.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Ive got an interesting story as to why im possibly very interested in the high mp canon eos r camera.

over the past two years i felt a bit let down by canon for not supporting the "low budged" wildlife community as much as wished for. I had really hoped for the 7d iii and when the rumors about no 7d iii and only a 90d showed up i was very disappointed.
Then i saw sony announcing and releasing the 200-600 and the a7r iv, which seemed to me like everything i had whished for in a portable wildlife setup, so i bought the camera.

But for the last two months i only had problems with the sony setup. my plan was to use my sigma 150-600 sport with canon mount on a sigma mc11 adapter until i could save enough money to buy the sony 200-600. With the adapted lens i had a big backfocus at 600mm and couldnt really use it. So i speed up my saving and quickly bough the 200-600 but i had the same backfocus on that too, so i sent it back.
I then tested my sony a7r iv with a completly different 200-600 at my dealer and again the backfocus. My dealer then exchanged it against a new a7r iv... but still the same backfocus.
I even sent in bouth of my sony a7r iv for repair but they said they cant do anything about it (only sent in the body, not the lens).

Now im visiting my dad and checked out the camera store near his city and tried out their a7r iv and 200-600 they had... again a backfocus.

I dont know why noone so far has talked about this problem. Maybe they dont pixelpeep enough.
Well ... at this point it seems to me like sony is really a huge let down for me.

So i look forward to that canon, but im afraid it probably wont focus well enough for wildlife, what do you guys think?

1DX MIII does it all and even better.

Upvote 0
the 5DS is a polarizing camera
It fits the use of some very well
others see it as a narrow use camera

It’s certainly not what I am looking for
Does anyone have sales numbers of the 7d vs 5DS vs 5D mark and such

With over a year of additional development time and a price tag above the R, I would have considered these a given.

What is the high res R expected to be missing?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I'm wondering as well, how can a focal plane-based focusing camera (that is, one that uses main sensor for focusing) front/back focus?
Surely it depends on the AF protocol, is it an open or closed loop signal, if it is a closed loop at what point does it turn off in one shot? Is the lens focus amount directed or does it rely on feedback, if it is predetermined how is that calibrated, does it have the ability to self recalibrate.There are so many aspects of the AF in the new RF cameras that are simply unknown. Nikon put the ability to micro AF adjust in some of their mirrorless so there obviously something in play.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Ive got an interesting story as to why im possibly very interested in the high mp canon eos r camera.

over the past two years i felt a bit let down by canon for not supporting the "low budged" wildlife community as much as wished for. I had really hoped for the 7d iii and when the rumors about no 7d iii and only a 90d showed up i was very disappointed.
Then i saw sony announcing and releasing the 200-600 and the a7r iv, which seemed to me like everything i had whished for in a portable wildlife setup, so i bought the camera.

But for the last two months i only had problems with the sony setup. my plan was to use my sigma 150-600 sport with canon mount on a sigma mc11 adapter until i could save enough money to buy the sony 200-600. With the adapted lens i had a big backfocus at 600mm and couldnt really use it. So i speed up my saving and quickly bough the 200-600 but i had the same backfocus on that too, so i sent it back.
I then tested my sony a7r iv with a completly different 200-600 at my dealer and again the backfocus. My dealer then exchanged it against a new a7r iv... but still the same backfocus.
I even sent in bouth of my sony a7r iv for repair but they said they cant do anything about it (only sent in the body, not the lens).

Now im visiting my dad and checked out the camera store near his city and tried out their a7r iv and 200-600 they had... again a backfocus.

I dont know why noone so far has talked about this problem. Maybe they dont pixelpeep enough.
Well ... at this point it seems to me like sony is really a huge let down for me.

So i look forward to that canon, but im afraid it probably wont focus well enough for wildlife, what do you guys think?

That is a very strange coincidence that you went through at least 3 bodies and saw back focus on all of them. Because the A7r4 is using phase detect focus, it is very rare that there is an AFMA issue. However, if there is an issue, there is an AFMA option in the menu. You can see a guide for that here:

I know it's annoying for the forums to indicate that you might be doing things wrong when you bring up a problem, but the math suggests that you might be doing something wrong. For instance, if you have a corner focus point set, you might find the lens always focusing on the background. It's just very odd to have a consistent, multiple-body focusing issue without other people indicating a similar problem. One thing I have seen with my A7r4 is that it doesn't follow focus as quickly as my A9 cameras, so if something is coming toward me, I will see a backfocus (like I'd see a front focus with objects moving away). But even then, it is still following as fast as my Canon 5D4s did. If you shoot the A9/A7 combo, you might find yourself criticizing the A7 performance on AF speed.

I wonder if you'd discover a problem if you let one of the shop people take the camera and lens and do their own settings and then report to you what they find. Feel free to message me if you want to troubleshoot.

As to you question about the new 5 series being a potential solution for you, I don't see why that wouldn't be a good option. I'd look at how many lenses you have right now and either try the A9 Mark I - used for about $2500 now - if you had more Sony glass, or get the new 5 series mirrorless if you have more Canon glass. I'd put a condition on the Canon choice that you'd have to first see what the AF tracking frame rate is for the camera and make sure it is a multiple of that of the current R offering (3 fps) if you're going to be doing action/wildlife. Another option if mirrorless isn't a do-or-die factor might be to get a used 1dx mark 1 (used for $1800) which I found to be a good percentage as good as the Mark II. In my opinion, the A9 Mark I and the 1Dx Mark I are the two most underrated cameras on the market for the price. Don't bother with the A9 mark II if you stay with Sony, as I own both versions, and the II has only nominal benefits at a much higher price.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
how do you suffer backfocus with a mirrorless, is that not a mirror issue?
Or a focus servo issue. The Sony does use PDAF pixels, so it probably isn't refining focus with CDAF. If the camera doesn't tell the lens the exact focus destination with PDAF, you can have front or back focus errors. You could probably tweak the error out with a Tamron lens and the Tap-In, but then the lens would be inaccurate on a different body.

Upvote 0
I'm really glad that so many "pro" cameras and lenses will be released in the next few months but would like to know when we will have any new EF-S lenses and/or entrly level cameras with a bit improved performance. Let's say an 1200D Mark II with 18 MP sensor but all 9 cross-type and f/5.6 sensitive AF-points and Digic 6 processor.

Upvote 0
Well, the high Rez mirrorless body is what a bunch of us here have been waiting for.

so, that body, and three fast zooms will all that I would need for most things, plus a high quality 100mm, or so, macro. My daughter seems to have misplaced the 100mm EF.
Good plan!

"Sweetheart, I have to buy new lenses. Our daughter seems to have misplaced some of them."
"We don't have a daughter."
"Oops, too late. Tomorrow I will be drowning in RF glass, woman!"

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Why isnt a 5D R not coming out before the 5DS mirrorless equivalent? This seems like a mixed up move to me.
My guess is that both of them are being collapsed into the one. There might not even be a need for a low pass filter. I'm fairly certain it'll just autocorrect itself in camera, or the default raw engine in Canon's software will autocorrect. With advances in software and processing, it might not be needed.

Upvote 0

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA
Let's just say that I'm very happy that I purchased the R last month. It's a fantastic camera and I've been almost falling in love with taking photos again. It's a great feeling! While a high MP/res camera is definitely something that canon should come out with, I'm realizing that for myself, 30-40MP is in the sweet zone for me for a plethora of reasons. I've been absolutely killing it with the R - so many photos sharp on the eyes! :love: And I don't have any RF glass yet. My 5D3... I will have to let it go.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I use the 5DSr for landscape, architecture, macro, focus-stacking, etc. Although 83mp would be interesting to work with, the file processing times would certainly be very long. I could imagine someone using such a high megapixel count for action and wildlife but I could never imagine how I would do that. It will be interesting to see what such a camera body looks like if it arrives. I would certainly consider something along those lines as a replacement for the 5DSr. The mirrorless system would work perfectly well for my purposes.

Attachments

• 2019-10-02-14.52.09-ZS-PMaxDMap2-4000PX.jpg
    2019-10-02-14.52.09-ZS-PMaxDMap2-4000PX.jpg
    434.9 KB · Views: 387
Upvote 0

koch1948

EOS-1D X Mark III
Oct 8, 2019
I think what everybody is clamoring for is a true 5D series R body, call that "pro" or not, but that's what we want. I just wonder if this 5DS/r R replacement will be enough for some/most people in that camp to jump over to the R. Will be interesting to see. Especially as these RF lenses continue to tantalize.

I've never been in the market for a 5DS/r but depending on the specs for this R replacement (7-8fps range cleanish iso 6400), who knows it might be time to make the move.
I have often read that some users call the 5D series "prosumer" and the 1D series "pro".

Upvote 0
My guess is that both of them are being collapsed into the one. There might not even be a need for a low pass filter. I'm fairly certain it'll just autocorrect itself in camera, or the default raw engine in Canon's software will autocorrect. With advances in software and processing, it might not be needed.

For many 5D owners like me hoping to move to mirrorless, an 80mp camera is too much. So I hope you’re wrong on that and we get both

Upvote 0