What’s next from Canon?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
As with any camera launch, this time the Canon EOS R7 and Canon EOS R10, the day after has people asking “what’s next?”. We get it, that’s what we’re in the business of.
The information about what’s next is fairly vague, but we think there are some realistic rumors floating around.
The next RF mount camera will be a full-frame model and it won’t be the Canon EOS R1, as we expect that at some point in 2023, even if folks wish it was coming sooner. With Canon still having issues meeting the demand for the Canon EOS R3, I think that expecting new tech from Canon in the near term is unlikely.
We will see a replacement or two for the Canon EOS R...

Continue reading...

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Still hanging onto hope for those rumored compact DO long primes like the 500mm f/4.5.

From what I can tell from colleagues that have gotten ahold of the new Nikon 800mm F6.3 PF, there seems to be some solid agreement that slightly slower + DO is significantly more usable in the field than the ISO lost by the third of a stop or any image quality changes from the DO. I haven't heard any real complaints about the 800. Same thing goes for the Nikon 500mm F/5.6, which is a lens I'm honestly very jealous of and would buy in a heartbeat if it was an RF lens.

Honestly for the 400mm F/4 and 500 F/4, these are "lighter" options of the supertelephoto line-up to begin with, so if a third or half a stop can shave even a little bit of weight off, I think that's a lot better of an option than sticking to the same formula.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Also, on the lens line-up, there's still a separate "RF 18-45mm F/4-5.6" listed for RF lenses, as well as the new RF-S 18-45mm F/4-6.3. These are the same lenses, right?

So then with that said, we only really have the TS-R 14mm and 24mm lenses, 10-24mm F/4, 35mm F/1.2, 135mm F/1.4, 24mm F/1.8 macro, and 500mm left?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I think we'll see an R5 Mark II and R6 Mark II sooner rather than later. The R and RP will possibly be discontinued, we'll probably see the R5 and R6 Mark 1 remain in production and moved to a lower price point, with the R6 Mark 1 being priced competitively as an RP replacement.

With modern photography becoming increasingly reliant on computational power, the need for regular upgrades with faster CPUs, more internal RAM, etc, is likely to move to a faster refresh cycle than the traditional 3-4 year cycle for DSLRs.

I think they'll also follow Sony's trick and keep the Mark 1 R5 and R6 in production simultaneously for a long time. No point in developing new lower-cost cameras when you already have a production line set up for an existing model. Maybe the R and RP will struggle on even longer if they can't get the R5 and R6 down to a low enough unit cost.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
May 4, 2022
It seems obvious now they've confirmed that RF-S will have M sized lenses that each of the M lens offerings will be converted over the coming couple of years. I imagine the 11-22 will come along when the M6ii replacement R camera arrives (vertical screen and no viewfinder, better mics hopefully), which also feels like a no brainer to fill the vlogger gap. They'd also want to fill the M200 gap for ultra portables before letting M series go.
Whether they can create these with the larger mount while keeping the smaller sizes I don't know, but hopefully they can.

Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
Still no high MP fullframe body incoming? Ok..
I hope there is much more then this roadmap =/. Still hoping for a f1.8 135mm! f1.4 sounds way to big and heavy... just a small one like the one from Sony.
For wide angle I will stay at EF for a big while. Because of the nice filter adapter. But still hoping for a nice TS-E :)... 14mm sounds awesome! They should not kick the TC compatibility here...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I think we'll see an R5 Mark II and R6 Mark II sooner rather than later. The R and RP will possibly be discontinued, we'll probably see the R5 and R6 Mark 1 remain in production and moved to a lower price point, with the R6 Mark 1 being priced competitively as an RP replacement.
The R5 and R6 are selling well, and the R3 and R5C have just joined the party as well as an addition for those want more for video.
So I don't think there is any incentive to upgrade those models at all (or to reduce the price).

It is way more likely that with the Mark II generation they go straight to BSI sensors.

They can expand lower-down however, if they remove the IBIS from the R6 (that has wobbling issues anyway for wide-angle video) and fit the smaller battery with the cheaper displays, they have quite an attractive entry-level FF model. But based on the R and RP, maybe they use a different sensor that is higher resolution and better for stills but less capable for video.

Upvote 0

subtraho

Birds and Macro
CR Pro
Nov 20, 2018
Maryland
twitter.com
From what I can tell from colleagues that have gotten ahold of the new Nikon 800mm F6.3 PF, there seems to be some solid agreement that slightly slower + DO is significantly more usable in the field than the ISO lost by the third of a stop or any image quality changes from the DO. I haven't heard any real complaints about the 800. Same thing goes for the Nikon 500mm F/5.6, which is a lens I'm honestly very jealous of and would buy in a heartbeat if it was an RF lens.

Honestly for the 400mm F/4 and 500 F/4, these are "lighter" options of the supertelephoto line-up to begin with, so if a third or half a stop can shave even a little bit of weight off, I think that's a lot better of an option than sticking to the same formula.

Yeah, the 500 f/5.6 PF is a lens that makes me question my brand loyalty, haha. I'd also love an RF native version of Sony's excellent internal zoom 200-600 G.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

allanP

Contax/Canon and medium format
Jan 3, 2014
R7 II ? :D.... with higherend body, BSI sensor without rolling shutter etc... please! :D
... and Design of R5. Current design of the R7 is a disappointment, as was the R too. Why all that? Ergonomics of the R5 and R6 is ideal. Never change working system! By the way, that should be called R90 and not R7. Too bad I won't buy this camera.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

With modern photography becoming increasingly reliant on computational power, the need for regular upgrades with faster CPUs, more internal RAM, etc, is likely to move to a faster refresh cycle than the traditional 3-4 year cycle for DSLRs.

I think they'll also follow Sony's trick and keep the Mark 1 R5 and R6 in production simultaneously for a long time. No point in developing new lower-cost cameras when you already have a production line set up for an existing model. Maybe the R and RP will struggle on even longer if they can't get the R5 and R6 down to a low enough unit cost.
I want this to be true, but I can't help but think the R5 is still moving well enough and comparing favourably enough with other comparable cameras that they may hold off. Maybe a sort of "half upgrade" like Sony seems to do where they update the sensor every other generation?

I've been holding off replacing my 5DIV for a higher-resolution version of the R5, but the longer the wait the more I think that isn't going to happen. I'm kind of thinking I'll lose patience and end up with an R5II if they can improve battery life - I really wish they'd move on from LP-E6 series batteries but with the R7 taking the LP-E6N, my bet is that will remain the standard for the next while regardless.

Upvote 0