What are most people using for processing RAW

Status
Not open for further replies.
PaulTopol said:
Just upsets me how much Adobe charge for new versions and upgrades for the CS series. Encourages piracy, in my opinion.
Adobe's new "Creative Cloud" plan dramatically drops the price for anyone who uses more than one Adobe program and updates annually. There is also a 50% discount for students and teachers.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/buying-guide.html

I'm not necessarily against piracy. And I agree that the price of a single program (outside of the "Creative Cloud") is steep for non-professionals. But as a pro, I feel an obligation to support a product... that supports me.

Upvote 0

lastcoyote

5D Mark III
Sep 19, 2012
Brighton, England
Right, got my 5D MK III now :D Awesome..naturally.
I went for LR4 in the end. From most replies here I think that was the right choice. Haven't yet installed and set it up yet. My question is after I've processed my photos in LR, I may want to do further editing in Photoshop Elements. As I said in my opening post I have Elements 8. Am I right in thinking that since my raw files are 5D MK III that I won't be able to pass them over to Elements 8 editor, and that I'll need to get either Elements 10 or 11 which support the 5D MK III? Or will LR be able to convert to PSD and open them as such in Elements 8 without issue?

Also while I'm posting...any opinions on the new version 11 of Elements?

Upvote 0

lastcoyote

5D Mark III
Sep 19, 2012
Brighton, England
been looking on elementsvillage forum regarding this myself and it appears i should be fine in doing the raw processing in LR4 and then when i want to make further changes i just select to 'Edit In' photoshop elements 8 which then creates a duplicate file (psd or tiff depending on preferences) and then this should be fine to work on and save in PSE8 which then is displayed alongside original raw file in LR. I guess i was confused in thinking i couldn't use my PSE8 at all due to the ACR version in it not supporting 5D MK III. But as I'd just be using it for editing then this isn't a problem.
or am I still wrong? :p

Upvote 0
panicboy said:
dr croubie said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Mac users use Aperture, pc users use Lightroom. Of course, there are many users who use other software, they are all pretty good, but I believe that more raw photographers use the two above.

And Linux users use DPP running under WINE.
or at least I do because I am, I don't think there's too many of us around though...

+1

For Linux folks, there is also a couple of other GPL options, like raw therapee (which is btw available also on windows) and darktable (no windows version).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Mmmh, I am using LR since LR 3 and I am using it primarily, because of workflow efficiency. Another must have for me is the crop tool from LR. Perhaps I am just used to LR, so I have nothing much to complain about. My primary comparison is with Canon's DPP, which I also use sometimes. I particularly like the spot removal tool in DPP.

I am not a big fan of post-processing I have to admit. I rather concern myself with what goes into LR, trying to avoid having to fix things afterwards, but when I have to post-process shots, I prefer to do it in LR.

Nevertheless I would like to learn what is easier in other software. Perhaps somebody can shed some light on this.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
SDsc0rch said:
i actually prefer the quality (less noise) of DPP - you really should do a side-by-side comparison of DPP to LR41 - i have - and i'm convinced

The default noise reduction in DPP is "lots", while in Lightroom, it's "off". If you compare like that, then you'll get the results you posted.

Try LR with sharpening at 40/1/25/40, and L-NR at 40/90 and see what you think. DPP stinks severely by comparison.

Upvote 0

Bruce Photography

Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
Feb 15, 2011
Fort Bragg, CA
charlesa said:
What about Adobe Bridge?

When I shoot, I come back with a large number of images (several hundred per day) and I've been shooting for some time. I've tried lightroom and while it is very good (it uses the same raw processor as CS6), it wants to put all your images into one large catalog. It then makes several backups of that catalog so you don't lost it when your machine crashes. It also keeps the thumbnails even when the hard drive that was attached to your system is gone. Really very nice. I have a total of ten external hard drives that go from 500MB to 3TB is size and from USB2 to now USB3.

However my choice for my work volume is CS6 and using bridge as my viewer. I do wish it was faster but the hardware boys will help me out there as machines get faster (like USB 3). I've decided to specialize in Photoshop for whatever years I have left. I don't think I will ever know all of it - but I like that. I am always finding new jewels in photoshop. Lightroom is actually knowable because it only does so much. Lightroom only does what Camera raw in Photoshop can do and that is it as far as processing a Raw file. But with Photoshop you are only started once you initially process the file. The Bruce Fraser and Jeff Schewe (sp?) book on Camera raw is an absolute must if you really want to understand Raw processing. It has changed how I work. Bridge is great for batch file edits and great for one at a time. Photoshop is universal - but I do have a question - For Canon 5d3 and Nikon D800 does anyone know of good RAW processors that run on Android 4.0 tablets?

Upvote 0
S

symmar22

I use DxO Optics since version 1, been quite happy with the results (one of the best RAW engine as far as I know, better than LR2 but I hear it's been much improved with LR3 and LR4). I tried LR since it is the standard (for once Adobe sells an affordable software), but I am not very happy with the ergonomic. When you get used to something.....
Plus DxO has excellent lens correction modules, as well as a practical geometry correction module to straighten architecture.
Can be tried free for 30 days.
Has anyone else tried it or does the fact it is related to DxO mark make it the evil software ?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.